Dazz
Years ago

Will Adelaide "Coast" into the finals???

Could be a very interesting final round, with Adelaide scoping out who they will meet in the semis.

Lets face it, Cairns' only hope of making the finals, is if Adelaide some how loses those two games. So yeah, in a very real sense Adelaide could get to chose who they play.
And why not? Joey has been running the boys hard, it would make sense to manage the minutes of his stars, and give his bench as many minutes as possible.

But I think that's the biggest question. What is the best preparation immediately before the finals? Manage minutes, keep your starters fresh, and run the bench, or do you keep it "normal" and aim to keep the starters at the top of their game?

Topic #40718 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

I think you've got to coach/play to win, regardless of the repercussions. If that means playing your starters significant minutes then I think you've got to do that. I'm concerned at what compromising that 'win at all costs' mentality could do.

Reply #620594 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Last thing the Sixers would want to do would be to have two dead rubber games against Cairns immediately before starting a series against Cairns. Ask Melbourne how that went against NZ.

Reply #620603 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I personally wouldn't distract this 36ers team with anything like engineering results. Just play, win, and then take on whoever is put in front of you.

Whatever Joey is doing with them, it's working perfectly so far. The change to finals intensity is risk enough for them.

Reply #620604 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The finals are always a different ball game. There are less fast breaks and they are lower scoring. Their ability to get the opposition into foul trouble and dictate the pace will go a long way in deciding how they fare. I do think the team is very capable of winning it all but it isn't going to be a cakewalk.

Reply #620606 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The way Adelaide has been playing recently, funnily enough, does not greatly rely on fast break scores. It does heavily rely on getting into offence before defenses are set, but that is a different matter.

In any event, Adelaide have been pretty successful in the half court as well.

I would say the real issue is not whether Adelaide can score, but whether they can lift their defensive intensity a further notch or two (or three) in the finals.

Reply #620609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't possibly honk about flirting with form. If injured happen such is life. But resting guys is not how this team can afford to play it.

Reply #620615 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You have to maintain the momentum and competitive culture within the team. It is clearly visible how close to each other and passionate they are.

Reply #620620 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The worst thing that could happen with this group is to get too cute and start resting guys like Randle, Sobey & DJ. They're locked into this high octane game style at the moment just keep on going. If the wheels come off in the playoffs so be it better than trying to rediscover this form at that time.

Reply #620623 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I believe Adelaide have won each of their followup games in rounds where they play two matches.

That's remarkable.

Reply #620626 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Form isn't a tap that you can just turn on and off. In saying that, Joey is in a great position where he can try a few different things leading into the playoffs.

Reply #620634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United rested players in the final round(s) last season and it appears to have bitten them in the arse.

Perth rested starters against Adelaide in 2014 in the final round(s) but went on to win the GF so you could make a case that the rest benefited them.

Reply #620647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they should necessarily rest players, but definitely keep their stars on lowered minutes so they aren't cooked by finals. Gives some other guys on the bench a chance to step up too before finals and gain more confidence.

Reply #620652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't need to worry about point differentials now so get a big lead and rest the likes of Johnson Randle and sobey come the fourth quarter. But don't mess with the overall profit that got you to where you are. This isn't the NBA 4pminute format isn't exactly the most gruelling of things in a pro league.

Reply #620657 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Their only loss on this run came after a long break; I doubt they'd want to risk repeating that.

Reply #620663 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

It's a dangerous road when you deliberately become complacent in situations like this. Adelaide's can't risk losing momentum and confidence as they're going to need to maintain it for their first real challenge come game 1 of the SF. If any of the remaining teams we play can mastermind a way to stop Adelaide, it will be noted by the rest of the competition. They can't let the belief slip if this does happen and they drop a couple leading into the finals.

At the same time though, it would obviously be wise to throw some minutes around if they are blowing teams away. It's also a good opportunity to fine tune areas at both ends of the floor.

It must be an amazing feeling for the team knowing you've wrapped up top spot while everyone is desperately chopping and changing to make sure they don't fall below expectation this season. Which for a couple of teams will be missing the playoffs completely.

Reply #620676 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"The Adelaide 36ers 5-win lead over the rest of the field is the biggest break by any team after round 16 in NBL history."

Reply #620681 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Looking at the field they would likely face in the semis, whilst there will be speculation, and it makes for an interesting discussion, I agree that trying to get cute and engineer a scenario, would be too distracting.

I think its more a question of whether Joey manages the minutes of his stars to keep them fresh, whilst that also benefits his bench by giving them more minutes??

I think a lot will depend on the timing of the finals. Last year they were brutal. This year they are supposedly allowing 2 weeks for a 5 games series. Plus Adelaide is closer to everywhere than Perth.

The dead-rubbers against Cairns could make things interesting. Last thing you want to do is coast in those games, Lose, then face them in the semis. Even though everyone knows you coasted, and are still the better team, you've given them confidence and sowed seeds of doubt.

Reply #620685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No easy games in the finals. Will be interesting to see if Sobey and to an extent Randle keep getting the majority of calls go their way. (Don't get me wrong they are doing an excellent job of putting themselves in a position to get them) The whistle can vanish in the finals and the grind takes over.

Reply #620722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GEtting the calls go their way? They go hard they beat the defence to the spot and the call or make the shot. Don't get me wrong but that sounds a little salty. Adelaide are too fast to grind, they haven't had a games tempo dictated to them pretty much all season hence their huge lead which is the exception to the normal closes was of a nbl ladder.

Reply #620739 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:01 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754