Ballboy
Years ago

Basketball v's Flower Show

I've only just had a chance to read the various posts in response to my previous thread and just wanted to thank those of you who took it seriously, because it was and is I think a real problem.

The 2 big issues are :-

1. The unfariness that this creates between teams in the run to the finals, back to back double headers, no training, possible loss of players because of other commitments (Fridays v's the weekend matches)etc

2. As at last night when I first posted BASA had not issued any details of the games even being off. My club found out because a stadium manager told us at training on Monday night.

My question... does this mean the function was only booked last weekend? Of course not, it would have been booked weeks if not months ago, yet nobody from BASA has said anything.

Just not good enough guys...lift your game.

ps I also found some of the comments quite humorous.

Topic #4073 | Report this topic

Ballboy  
Years ago

You won't believe what just issued from BASA while I was posting the above

"From: Colin Thompson

Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2005 4:09 PM
Subject: Friday Night Juniors update

Due to the unavailability of Port Adelaide Recreation Centre for round 21 and
the change of home game date of the 36ers from 3rd September to Friday 2nd September
many adjustments have been made to accommodate Round 22. Most games have been
rescheduled to the Saturday, 3rd September but some can only be fitted into Sunday,
4th September. Read carefully the attached sheets with the revisions. Rember also that
West Adelaide is no longer competing in Under 18 Boys Division 3 and Under 20 Men division 3.
South Adelaide is no longer competing in Under 20 Men Division 3."

Reply #47393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did you get this info from ballboy?

Reply #47394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA did communicate to clubs that this was on the cards at least two weeks ago, as part of an email re other program changes. It didn't include details of when/where the games would be moved, but did indicate that all games at Port Adelaide this weekend would be rescheduled.

Reply #47396 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

Area Manager booked the function, not BASA

Reply #47404 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Let's see......book another function, bring in more money for BASA, and reschedule some games.

Yes, some players inconvenienced, but no life or death matters there.

Alternative, tell the flower show people the stadium isnt available, pass up on some (assuming) good money, to keep some ball players happy.

BASA is a business, and is trying to reduce a huge deficit in money. I really dont see what the major issue is.

Reply #47405 | Report this post

Ballboy  
Years ago

Info came as it says from Basa this afternoon.

Yes Anon, you are correct, it was "on the cards", about 10 days ago, then nothing official until today at 4.09pm, you can't seriously believe this is good enough?

Dear In the Know, not really sure of your point. The Area Manager I assume you are referring to could only be either the Stadium manager, or someone else employed by you guessed it....BASA as they have the lease.

Anyway I've made my point, I just thought others needed to know.

Lets move on and hope things get better.

Reply #47411 | Report this post

wondering  
Years ago

Does anyone know what is the correct program, on the sturt side, they have teams playing in two stadiums at the same time on the same day. Check out 14 div 5's plalying at morphetvale on 3 sept at 11.30 then at port same day. How can we find out what is correct

Reply #47412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morphettvale should read 27/8 not the 3rd.Correction out to clubs tonight.
Come on every body, do some deep breathing exercises, all this stressing shorten lives

Reply #47414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fact stop and smell the flowers

Reply #47415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee,

Do you understand that this is exactly why we have trouble maintinaing players in the sport.

As well as some teams having coaches and players away on those dates. And this will effect finals.

Plus the Festival of basketball have already planned to play it's finals on the 4th.

Plus some of the games have been scheduled in stadium which already have games scheduled for the 4th.

What we are saying is that yes, this will actually cost BASA more money thann they will probably make in the long run as well as damage the credibility of the sport. While therefore decreasing the overall product may not effect you, some of us do consider the work we do to produce the players that play for our National League Teams is important.

Reply #47416 | Report this post

P'Od Parent  
Years ago

What a crock of horse manure. This is so typical. If this "event" and I use the term loosly!, was booked in advance, why was BASA not informed at the time of booking, and the games rescheduled then. And if the stadium was approached just a couple of weeks ago, the answer should have been "sorry, not available." This inconveniences everyone except the stadium manager, obviously! With finals coming up, surely the games should come first? And who exactly gets the income from these shows? If basketball is stopping the BASA stadium manager from renting out the space, perhaps West should look for a new home and then they can have as many bottle shows, band practice, flower shows, etc..etc.. as they like!!

Reply #47436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it is really bad i think.

in the end, the crows will have to play fri night and it will clash with the 36ers.

will the nbl change it back?

there are some clubs, especially in division one that are finals bound and have to win 2 games in 4 hours to consolidate a spot.

a bit harsh and not a real even playing field i must say.

Reply #47461 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the round 21 unavailability includes Thursday night games (tried to ring BASA but only got an answering machine!)

Reply #47499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eBasketball you wonder Why girls are going to netball.
NETBALL - You know When and Where you are playing every week.

- the only change is the court.

so when someone commits to play they know what their commitment needs to be.

BASKETBALL - Well you are suppose to play on Friday
What time - you will find out later but hopefully before the game.

Where - It could be anywhere.

So save All of your Friday Nights cause time varies.

Now Netball - Juniors Play Saturday
- Seniors and the Thunderbirds ALL work together.

BASKETBALL it's the Sixers and making money.

So Good luck Paul is selling Basketball to the Girls that just want to play and fun sport.

By the way Sunday 4th September is Father's Day and BASA some players do have family events they would like to attend the same thing happen last year. I know it is their Father - their parent and Not 36ers so why would you guys care?

Reply #47504 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

I am affected by these changes, but DO NOT put Netball on a pedestal- Why is the Thunderbirds Prelim final in Sydney being held on Thursday night when all games this season have been on weekend- Court unavailability?

Reply #47562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:39 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754