Lost In The Sky
Years ago

Bryce Cotton offered 10-Day NBA Contract

10 news just reported Bryce Cotton has been offered a 10 Day contract from an NBA Team... They did not say who. He was locked in meetings all day but 10 news believed his Wildcats contract is watertight.

Topic #40737 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not going

Reply #621002 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm just waiting for the "Members First" email, that will tell us what is happening, 24 hours after it was published by the media.

Reply #621004 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's a tough call, I'm not sure what to think, simply because the timing sucks.

If they'd done this a few weeks back, I'd have said we should let him go, don't stand in the way of his dream, even if its a long-shot.
In all honestly, I probably would have laughed, and asked if JJ was still around.

But the timing does suck. It means the NBA team doesn't care (or know enough to care) about his current commitment. Yes, its the NBA, and everything else does pale into insignificance, but that kind of American arrogance still really rubs me the wrong way.

I hope that his contract is watertight. I honestly do hope that he gets his NBA chance, and I'd be happy for him to leave, Once we have secured the streak by making the finals. Unfortunately there is simply no way we do it without him.

And I also have to ask, what chance has he really got? He's clearly an excellent player, and would be a star if he stayed in the NBL.
But has he really got NBA potential? He seems to me to be a little small, and a little inaccurate??

Reply #621007 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What import doesn't have an NBA out clause in their contract?

Reply #621008 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know? Yes, you'd think they would all have some kind.
But MAYBE they put something that says you can't exercise it after the 75% cut-off??? It would make sense for a team to try and include that. Would imports agree to it???

And who really knows what goes on. Even if he stays, maybe it was his choice???

I guess if he goes, they'll probably explain?

Reply #621010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard that the Cats have no choice but to let him go.

But have received dispensation to Re-Activate Johnson,

and the NBL will explain it all in a Statement to be released soon.

Reply #621011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be very Perth to not allow him out of his nbl contract to folllow his dream. Fuckin pathetic if they don't let him go to the NBA!!!!

Reply #621012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What NBA team would possibly care about the nbl!? Nor should they for the money they are generating Dazz, you idiot. I'd be embarrassed if my team got the bad rep for not allowing guys to go to the NBA. No one outside of was cares about the cats chances of a title or the amazing playoff run. Big picture? Don't piss off the NBA or get a bad rep for the entire league over a maybe if making the playoffs.

Reply #621013 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I just find this situation a bit too difficult to believe. Firstly an import not having an NBA out clause. If that is true and given the guy has already played for three teams in the NBA then his agent should be sacked immediately.

Secondly as if an NBL team even Perth would stand in the way of a guy getting a call up to the NBA. Like others have said the damage that would do to that team's reputation and the NBL in general I couldn't see LK allowing that to go on, especially after the other crap the Wildcats have gotten up to this season.

This sounds more like the Wildcats drumming up a bit of interest in the team with their home game going head to head with the BBL final also in Perth.

Reply #621015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure there may be a clause that once the 75% has passed then there's no out. Same thing with Ennis. Makes sense since the team has no alternative for a replacement

Reply #621020 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Ennis had something in place where he was locked in after a certain date. That date was determined so Perth could still have time to replace him and qualify for the finals.
No doubt Perth had something in place that was similar and I have absolutely no problem with that. If he has signed for Perth and that was the condition than why should the club be disadvantaged.

Reply #621021 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Question is will he crack it if he's not allowed to leave and put up shit for the next 3 weeks? Seems like a pretty good dude but not how I'd react if I was in his position..

Reply #621023 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

What NBA team would possibly care about the nbl!? Nor should they for the money they are generating Dazz, you idiot
Are you really that dense? Read what I said: "Yes, its the NBA, and everything else does pale into insignificance"
But as I said, doesn't mean I have to like it
I'd be embarrassed if my team got the bad rep for not allowing guys to go to the NBA. Big picture? Don't piss off the NBA or get a bad rep for the entire league over a maybe if making the playoffs.
Oh, ok, you really ARE that dense.
So an NBA team trying to convince a player to breech his contract is fine, but an NBL team asking a player to fulfil his contract gives the whole league a "Bad Rep"??? Sure, right.
But didn't you just say that nobody cares about the NBL? So what possible harm could a "bad rep" do?

Let me spell it out for you:
The ONLY way this becomes an argument is if he signed a contract that does not allow him to leave (say after a certain date.) (Otherwise, its his choice.)
So at the time of signing said contract, he had to make a choice, weigh up the chances of getting an NBA call-up (from say the D-League) vs getting paid real money to play out the season in Australia. (And he made his choice.)
All you're saying, if we have a "bad rep" is that the next player offered a similar contract, will have to make the same choice.

Reply #621024 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It would be very Perth to not allow him out of his nbl contract to folllow his dream. Fuckin pathetic
Yes, and that's the REAL issue here isn't it.
Never mind that if it was Randle, there would be lynch-mobs roaming the streets of Adelaide with pitchforks and torches.
It's Perth, so anything they do is automatically wrong, and anything that hurts the Cats is obviously a good thing.

Why don't you just copy & paste "I hate Perf cos thay sukk" and save yourself time.

Reply #621025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal back to Perth?

Reply #621026 | Report this post

Anonomouse  
Years ago

If Cotton goes, can he be replaced with another import? It would seem unfair on Perth if they've paid Cotton a lot of money, will miss finals and receive no compensation in the way of money or replacement.

Reply #621027 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I just find this situation a bit too difficult to believe. Firstly an import not having an NBA out clause.
I tend to agree. We don't really know at this point. Maybe it will become clearer.
If that is true and given the guy has already played for three teams in the NBA then his agent should be sacked immediately.
I guess that depends on the advice his agent gave. If his agent said "you might as well sign, you have no chance of an NBA call-up", then yeah, Cotton might be well pissed.

There may also be a "Catch 22" at play. If he hadn't signed with the Cats, what would he be doing? If he was shooting hoops in his driveway, doubt he would get the call.

Secondly as if an NBL team even Perth would stand in the way of a guy getting a call up to the NBA. Like others have said the damage that would do to that team's reputation and the NBL in general I couldn't see LK allowing that to go on,
Your are joking right?
What happens when Cotton can't go, and they offer the gig to Ware? You reckon Lazza's gonna roll over for that?
especially after the other crap the Wildcats have gotten up to this season.
and exactly what "crap" would that be? You mean the way we legally sacked and replaced an import? We might well have been the first this season (can't recall exactly) but we definitely weren't the last.
Besides, if you believe all the Perf-hating conspiracy nuts "we had no choice".
The only thing remotely questionable in all that was that Ingram leaving for health reasons allowed us to re-hire JJ. And ironically, we might have been better off if we hadn't.

Reply #621028 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Players need 8 games in the regular season to be eligible for the finals, hence cairns rushing tony Mitchell into the Perth game despite arriving in Australia earlier that day. Anyone they brought in now won't be playing finals basketball.

Lucas Walker, now's your chance Bro!

Reply #621030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz on the defensive like a fat guy protecting his pie! You bring heavy rebuttals on yourself Dazz. It's the NBA champ, every league wants a good rep with them
Not the other way around. The basketball world doesn't and never revolve around the cats.

Reply #621032 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If Cotton goes, can he be replaced with another import?
He can't be replaced, period. Import or local.

Anyone they brought in now won't be playing finals basketball.
They're not allowed to bring anyone in at all.

I would imagine Cotton had an NBA out clause that was only valid until that 75% point of the season, or just before, just as Ennis had.

Reply #621033 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Fucking great

Which NBA team is it?

Reply #621035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's part of his contract that he can't leave so really its a non story

Reply #621036 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Did the Ten news story report that bit?

Reply #621037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone want to consider how Cotton leaving may impact his reputation? Would many teams (Europe esp) want to hire a player that would leave right before the playoffs and when the team is unable to replace him?

Chances are a successful playoff run with Perth could lead to more NBA offers.

Reply #621038 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As is the case most places around the world, if the NBA team wants to get Cotton out of his contract they'll have to pay for it, and even then I imagine it would have to be a very, very generous offer for Perth to basically sacrifice a playoff spot for it.

I just can't see it happening.

Reply #621040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton should return home for 'personal reasons' like every other american.

His personal reasons would be wanting to play in the NBA.

Reply #621042 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

NBA is not aligned with FIBA. Cotton's contract would only be enforceable if he was going to a FIBA league. Perth cant make him stay.

He can also chose to say I will miss every shot and throw the ball away every chance I get if you don't release me.

Reply #621043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont think any professional team would hire someone who deliberately tanked a game. "Mental reasons" is also not something you want on your resume.

Small world now with the internet, his best bet is to keep playing hard. He has a chance to be leading scorer as well. Taking cats from bottom to playoff would be a better resume point for another NBA shot.

Reply #621047 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Dazz on the defensive like a fat guy protecting his pie!

On behalf of fat guys everywhere, don't go lumping Dazz in with us, please!

I've been off the radar for a while, but as others have said, pretty sure it's standard part of an imports contract that they only have an NBA out clause up until the 75% cut off date... Any team not including that in their contracts would be a major cock up...

As for Euro teams not looking favourably on him ditching the Cats before the playoffs, I'm pretty sure they've seen it all over there and it wouldn't impact ona talented player too much unless it was a pattern...

Reply #621048 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"NBA is not aligned with FIBA."

Mark Tatum, the NBA's deputy commissioner, is on the FIBA Executive. The NBA and FIBA are more closely aligned than ever.

Reply #621049 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Doesn't mean that a FIBA contract is honoured or acknowledged by the NBA

Reply #621052 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If he did get offered a 10-day contract, I wonder if he'd take it. If you're in the NBDL on peanuts hoping for the call-up, sure. But he's in a professional league earning big bucks so flying back to play a couple of games and hope to latch on would depend entirely on how big his NBA dream is.

If he did want to go though, it would be a bit of a douche move by Perth not to allow him, IMO, and could affect their ability to lure fringe NBA talent in the future.

Reply #621056 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

If he doesn't take it he will get black balled by the NBA and they will move on to the next

Reply #621059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What import doesn't have an NBA out clause in their contract?"

One that signs a contract knowing that he will be joining a team in the second half of the season, in a league that has rules regarding replacement players and cut-off dates etc. I'd say this was spelled out to him before signing.

Having said that, there probably isn't a lot stopping him from leaving. It would be a dick move on his part though.

Reply #621061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure if Perth was in a position where they could get a replacement import that qualifies for the finals, they would be more willing to let him go. If you're going to break a contract, it has to work for both sides. That's just business. This isn't a charity, and the Wildcats are an organisation themselves with goals and priorities. We are not a D-League franchise.

Reply #621062 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Doesn't mean that a FIBA contract is honoured or acknowledged by the NBA."

Yes it does. An NBL player can't even train with an NBA club unless they have a clearance, as was the case with Julian Khazzouh and Corey Webster in recent years.

Reply #621063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it always the same anon idiot that attacks Dazz without even responding to things he has said? Its actually ruining the forum that its allowed to continue.

Reply #621066 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If he did want to go though, it would be a bit of a douche move by Perth not to allow him, IMO, and could affect their ability to lure fringe NBA talent in the future."

Not at all. Players and their agents understand that most clubs around the world won't let them out of a contract unless they get payment to do so, and/or unless they have an equal or better replacement available.

Reply #621069 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

My sources tell me he's been called up by the Cavs. If you're aware of LBJ's latest media statements you can piece the rest together.

NBL will make a statement soon.

Reply #621072 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

How is this even a discussion?

Perth clearly have him in a secure contract with no out clause.

Saying Perth are doing him dirty by not allowing him to go is ludicrous. Its business. End of story.

The reality is he will still have plenty of time to be offered a meager 10 day contract after the conclusion of the NBL season.

Reply #621077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be funny if they don't allow him to go contract aside and he cracks it and plays poorly regardless.

Reply #621079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aside from giving Adelaide fans the LOL's, it would serve no benefit to him at all.

Reply #621083 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Paul that isn't correct

Reply #621087 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

His staying! Still in with a shot!

Reply #621090 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can choose what you want to believe Fundingland.

Both Webster and Khazzouh had to be released from their NBL contracts and given clearance before they could even take part in veterans camp. After they were cut by their NBA clubs they then received clearances and signed new contracts with NZ and Sydney.

Reply #621092 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Nonsense

American agents cant even have their players sign in Australia without gaining or working with someone who has FIBA accreditation

There is no contractual link between FIBA and the NBA and those that have FIBA contracts are not recognised by USA Basketball and vice versa

You don't need a clearance form the NBA to play in the NBL you need FIBA approval to play in the NBL, 2 very different things

Reply #621096 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Regardless of which side of this particular argument is correct, contract law is still a thing.

Reply #621098 | Report this post

jimbo  
Years ago

NBA !!! LOL LOL LOL, thats pretty funny. How can an NBA side want him? He not even close to the best guard in the NBL

Reply #621099 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Offer was Atlanta and has been turned down http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/01/27/wildcat-bryce-cotton-turns-down-nba-offer

Reply #621100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good onya Jumbo. LOL loL Lol

Reply #621106 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Who was the guy early in the season saying that no one would play in the NBL if they were good enough to play in the NBA?

I'd be interested in getting his take on all this.

Reply #621109 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Honestly, for the money he would get, it's not worth the trip back for just a guarantee of 10 days. Not surprised at all that he turned it down. Better to try in the offseason because you have enough time to latch on elsewhere if you don't make the cut.

Reply #621110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson said if it was a long term contract they would've let him go but not for 10 days when you can still get that after the NBL season finishes

Reply #621111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, do you mean like when Perth allowed Hugh Greenwood out of his contract?? pmsl

Reply #621112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood didn't sign a 10 day contract for anything!! pmsl

Reply #621113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Honestly, for the money he would get, it's not worth the trip back for just a guarantee of 10 days.
What's a 10-day worth, ballpark? $100k?

Reply #621119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naw, maybe 18-20K

Reply #621122 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's funny, IIRC Ricky Grace once got a 10-day contract (or whatever the equivalent was back then) with the Hawks.

End of the day he's staying, and I guess we'll never know the full truth. Articles' titles say he chose to stay, Gleeson seemed to suggest they didn't let him leave.

Reply #621124 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As for the contractual questions. Sure, I guess an import could just walk away, breech his contract, and hop a plane home. It would mean never returning to the NBL, and would make it extremely difficult to play anywhere else requiring a FIBA clearance. Even IF the USA overlooks such things, it wouldn't be a smart move for somebody in his situation who is much more likely to play in Europe than the NBA.

As for claiming the NBA will "black list" him, why?
It's true he might not get another offer just depends. If they still like what they see at the end of the season, and they have an opportunity, why not.

Reply #621125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it was Perth's decision. Cotton seems to be enjoying his NBL stint but his association with the club is less than a month and he wouldn't let that stand in the way of pursuing his dream.

But nothing wrong with Perth requesting that he stay - both sides knew what the circumstances were when he signed.

Reply #621126 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Probably even less anon a 10 dayer would be worth around $18k tops. On the road you also get a per diem of around $120 a day.

It's more about the opportunity because one 10 dayer usually leads to a second 10 dayer and then from there a contract for the rest of the season often with an option for next season.

Reply #621129 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think the money offered for the 10-day contract is relevant. Its about the opportunity. You'd hope it leads to another, then another, then an actual contract.

I really hope there's still openings for him when the Cats' season is finished.
And I hope this inspires him to new levels.

Reply #621135 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

The money is incredibly relevant.

NBA 10 day contract offers will fetch anywhere between $20-$30k.

You don't make that kind of quick money in such a short turnaround anywhere.

Reply #621136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually you can if you work in the mines. One of my mates was a site supervisor and he would make 45 grand a month before tax offcourse

Reply #621142 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No, its not relevant.
Obviously he'd get paid for it, so what.

What's the NBA minimum for a full year contract? IIRC its around half a mil for a rookie, around $900k after 1 year? That's where the big cheese is at, and it only gets better from there if he establishes himself.

Reality is you'd take a 10-day contract for NOTHING if you thought it would lead to something bigger.

Keep in mind that Cotton has already played NBA. He knows how it works.

My understanding is that a given team can only give you 2 10-day contracts, and after that has to sign you or let you go. So maybe he preferred the "bird in the hand" so to speak?

Or maybe the Cats just said no?

Reply #621143 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"You don't need a clearance form the NBA to play in the NBL you need FIBA approval to play in the NBL, 2 very different things"

Fundingsland, please stop just making things up, the NBA work within the FIBA transfer system.

Here are the BA guidelines that explicitly state NBA players require a clearance.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=3511034

Here is the link to the USAB clearance form from the NBA website.

http://www.nba.com/media/usab/letter_of_clearance.pdf

Reply #621144 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

No, Cotton's day 10 contract offer would be more like $55k - $60k having regard to his 2 odd years experience in the NBA.

If he signs around the time of the ASG for example he could get 13 or 14 days (on a 10 day) or because the team may have only had him for 3 games could easily extend out to 20, hence $55-$60k could easily become $70k or $120k; with the potential to earn the minimum $980k next season.

The $28k odd range is for a rookie.

Reply #621325 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754