Anonymous
Years ago

Are the Kings back?

Looking like surefire playoff contenders again with Newley still to come back too. New Zealand looking wobbly.

The daylight comment may yet prove to be accurate!

Topic #40756 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easy champ. They are beating a mentally defeated breakers team that looks very flat.

Reply #621447 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

No

Reply #621450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ are woeful.

Reply #621451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone on this forum reacts so much to every win/loss by every team lol. If a team wins suddenly they are the #1 contender, if a team loses a game apparently they won't make the playoffs.

Reply #621452 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Adelaide lost last night therefore they are no chance

Reply #621454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not everyone. Just a few knee jerk reactions overall consensus is kings have mass amount of work to do. As does every team not named the adelaide 36ers.

Reply #621455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the experts were all tipping the Breakers to smash the Kings. So much for that.

Reply #621456 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Bo Liu hit the court, the humiliation is almost complete I suppose.

Reply #621459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone saying the Breakers are a rabble now but not many were saying that before the game. The facts are the Kings have played well and perhaps made them look ordinary in the process.

Reply #621460 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah I'd say they're back. Why not

Reply #621461 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

NZ smacked them 67-48 on the boards, including 16-9 offensive boards. NZ committed 25 turnovers to 9 (points from turnovers accounted for the winning margin) and had 6 assists to 20.

I think a team that wins the board stats so convincingly but is thrashed so resoundingly in the floor game stats can safely be called a "rabble".

Sydney will need to fix its rebounding to be declared as "back".

Reply #621462 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Sorry I was distracted by the Bo Liu substitution as I was about to post on this thread... probably more appropriate in the actual game thread.

As per OP's question, no the Kings are not quite back yet. The two wins this week were more due to good fortune than brilliant strategic turnaround. Outside shots were falling in and the ref calls went more or less in their favour. Moller (of all people) hit a few three pointers and Paul Carter got 3 tech fouls in a row.

Yes, Gazey made some more small improvements today by rediscovering his transition offense and how to properly utilize Moller but those are not significant enough to claim that their championship form is back. If anything, there are still far too many issues that have yet to be addressed: too many perimeter shots, no low post strategy, lack of dribble penetration and soft interior defense.

Even the rediscovery of their transition offense is dubious as they went up against the most turnover-prone team in the competition. Gazey would have to be very concerned with the form of Powell in the last few games as well. Attitude aside, I have a feeling that Powell may not have been applying himself fully during practice or scouting reports/briefings.

Reply #621463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys I feel like the Op wants everyone to agree the kings are in fact back. Couple of subtle rebuts. So in the interest of making him/her a happy camper sure they are back baby!! Reality no.

Reply #621468 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I suspect what we saw is similar to what we have seen all season: When the Kings are good enough to get comfortably in front early and run with it, their quality shows throu. But when things get tough, Drewie is not up to the job.
(Undoubtedly 10x the coach I would ever be, but out-coached by everyone else in this league.)

As to the OP's stated question. The league remains very close, I don't thing the Kings ever really dropped completely out of contention, and they are definitely in the finals race.

And yes, this was an unexpectedly strong performance, and should give both them and their fans renewed confidence.

Reply #621472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget this result was without arguably their best player (Newley). We have seen how much Perth and Melbourne hurt when Martin and CG43 missed games. So all things being equal the Kings are still right there, assuming Newley returns soon.

Reply #621478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are back NOT!! They only beat NZ who is most likely still mentally fried from the incident in their last game and probably played their worst game all season.

Whilst they sing their victory song posted by the teams camera man powell, they shouldn't get too excited because they are not playing like a finals teams.

Gaze should still have sleepless nights worrying about his teams in ability to play DEFENSE, play smart, play with energy for 4 quarters!!

IMO they will miss out on the finals!!

Reply #621481 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

What did Paul carter do for three technicals in one go? Or was that satire?

Reply #621486 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Kings clearly wanted it today. Whittington stayed out of foul trouble and played the best D he's played since the first month of the season, Maric was incredible in the 1st half, and although Powell couldn't buy a bucket he looked the most motivated I've seen him since he came here, and he was hustling back on D and getting out on the break on O.

Kings aren't "back" by any stretch of the imagination, but they are showing a pulse.

Reply #621492 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"What did Paul carter do for three technicals in one go?"

I'll say what I said in response to Henare's question in the telecast "What was the last one for?"

Being a dickhead

Very ordinary actions from a player whose team was down on personnel and completely selfish

Reply #621500 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they beat Melbourne next week I think they'll make playoffs as they'll have 14 wins and the split over NZ, Cairns and United.

Reply #621502 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If they beat Melbourne next week I think they'll make playoffs as they'll have 14 wins and the split over NZ, Cairns and United.

A lot depends on Adelaide's final games. I'm not convinced that 14 games will be enough to hold out Cairns. Could be a few teams battling for 4th spot on 14 wins, and it could get weird.

Reply #621504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duke the fan he showed more passion in that moment than any breaker the entire game. The game was over and tensions boiled over he reacted like a guy who gives a damn would. No need to call him a dickhead, ofcourse not ideal reaction but warranted.

Reply #621505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not certain if the kings are back or not but sometimes coaches get lucky and with Jackson out Moller got more time and as a neutral watching the game live the amount of defensive work he does and sets the defence up was outstanding. Both assistant coaches spent time talking to him through out the game, he looked great, his combination with Whittington was good. Tommy best game this year and also stepped it up on the defensive end. Hill looked good to, still think Josh powel has to lift but Maric was also good at both ends.

Reply #621507 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah Carter was totally frustrated by that point and wasn't entirely his fault. Kings won the game by 27 but his +/- was -37! He must've felt his teammates and the refs were letting him down hence the emotional blowup.

The actual foul sequence wasn't even clear on replay. Lisch might have tapped his arm as he put up the shot but on the way down after he rebounded his own miss Lisch's strip looked clean. The techs were mainly due to his expletives and carrying on J.

Reply #621508 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Sayonara Kings.

Reply #621551 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Sayonara Brissy, and very likely United too.

Reply #621553 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Warranted"??

Getting yourself thrown out of the game over a nothing (missed) call like that is never warranted. Show some passion by playing hard until the end of the game, not by leaving your already shorthanded team even more shorthanded. I'll live with the "passion" of the first tech. After that he was a dickhead

Reply #621557 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Cheers for explaining what happened. Sounds like the 'well we've lost anyway so i'm going to make my point and hit the showers on my terms routine'.

Surely we have all had that moment at least once? I have no doubt he had plenty to say on more than just on potential missed and/or soft call.

May as well get your moneys worth, nothing worse than getting tossed for nothing.

Reply #621574 | Report this post

missedop  
Years ago

the most telling moment for the Kings (v Adelaide i Think) was when a pt up, 5 secs on the clock, Powell has the ball and throws it full court and out of bounds. Opposing team scored from the throwin.

That extra win would have had the Kings "safe". Powell has had many brain explosions, but that is the biggest brain fart i have seen.

Reply #621603 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

No, Kings are not back. Unconvincing win against the Bullets, but a lot more promising attitude and defence against NZ, which turned it around... If they show that against United (and Bubbles doesn't make his car park shots) to get the win, it will be a different story...

Reply #621749 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

(and Bubbles doesn't make his car park shots)

Yeah that's the key to playing United. You know Bubbles love that Chemist Warehouse area. Both him and Ware have several fave spots mainly around the left wing extending to top of the key and to a lesser extent, the right wing. If you let both of them get hot from outside, United can run over any team in the comp.

Limit their 3s and they become pretty pedestrian. Tight man to man on Ware and Bubbles throughout with plenty help defense when they try to drive inside. That will also disrupt their strategy of crashing the offensive board with Boone, Majok and Barlow for repeated tries from outside.

Reply #621752 | Report this post

Billy Tong  
Years ago

I am a huge Taipans fans but the kings are a threat we gonna have to face

Kings will choke and Gaze gonna be fired to

Reply #622145 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Billy,

Based on your post a few hours ago in the Cairns v Hawks thread, I can only assume your knowledge of the Taipans is limited and that you are "huge" in respect to your physical attributes. :-)

Reply #622176 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754