At seasons end, I assume.

Reply #621623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Press conference at 11:30 at Bendat

Reply #621625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best news all day. This will cut down on a high percentage of flopping in the game.

Reply #621626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why has Wagstaff retired also?

Reply #621627 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Good riddance (I hope you had the time of your life).

Reply #621628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is and always will be a legend of the wildcats/nbl

Reply #621629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you choose the day that a player of his calibre announces his retirement to bag him, you're a bit of a dickhead.

Perth fans at least have the decency to wish guys like Wortho and Hinder all the best.

Reply #621631 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"If you choose the day that a player of his calibre announces his retirement to bag him, you're a bit of a dickhead."

Well said - very poor form. The guy is an NBL and Wildcats legend. Fitting that both Wortho and Redhage retire in the same season - they had some epic battles.

Reply #621632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas Walker to replace Redhage next season, calling it

Reply #621633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officially announced by the Wildcats.

Reply #621634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would retire from NBL and go play SBL...doesnt make sense.

Reply #621635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sorry but if you take off your run foul cats caps, to the outside world Redhage is no wortho or hinder. He is the guy that makes Anstey look like the guy with a sense of humour. Was never great for the integrity of how the game should be played, I believe that any day.

Reply #621637 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

If he played the way all you Redhage/Perf hating flogs perceive he would have been refereed out of the game a long time ago.
A 384 NBL game legend.

Reply #621640 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who would retire from NBL and go play SBL...doesnt make sense.
Someone who's not up to playing NBL anymore but still wants to play basketball?

Reply #621641 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I'll bag him every and any day of the week. But, you can't help but appreciate what he's done in Perth and how he's contributed to their sustained success.

He is what he is, a hero to 10,000, a villian to the rest.
He goes to sleep each night with a handful of championship rings not giving a toss what anyone on the Eastern seaboard thinks.

Reply #621642 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'm expecting to see #42 hanging from the rafters someday soon.

Been an absolute stalwart of the Wildcats.

Reply #621644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Legend.

Wonder if Knight will join him at all?

Reply #621645 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

One season too late. Not sure why he decided to play on when he was clearly done by the end of last season.

In saying that, he has been one of the best players in the NBL in the past decade and was unstoppable back in the day.

I will miss his flopping, but Wagstaff can take over the reigns.

Reply #621646 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Who would retire from NBL and go play SBL...doesnt make sense.'

Because retiring players of any sport never go and play a lower level

Reply #621647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Was never great for the integrity of how the game should be played"

He came back from being told he would never walk again to play several more seasons at a top level and you're questioning his integrity?

Thats like saying you have no heart despite you coming back from severe head injuries to be able to (barely) use a keyboard again.

Reply #621648 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

integrity has nothing to do with heart... just sayin'

Reply #621649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying it does, but he's done the impossible and someone just thinks "na he wasnt good for the game."

If he wasnt good for the game, he wouldnt have every single NBL club making him offers every time he came out of contract, especially Adelaide who were desperate to sign him.

Reply #621650 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Keyboard warriors are out in force and pretty low to saw good riddance will you all say the same when Goulding retires, he's the king of flops. Anyway 3 championships, multiple MVPs for the cats, he's done just fine.

Reply #621651 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The player I most loved to hate... A great unorthodox scorer in his prime, but also the single most infuriatingly dirty player I've watched over the years.

Reply #621652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This isn't the Russell Hinder thread, Angus.

Reply #621653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy is a success story with big speed humps along the way.

He was cut by NZ, thrived in Perth.

Horrific hip injury suffered, but then took a year to rehab and came back to win 2 more championships.

Every team has players opposition fans don't like. Redhage just seems to be the poster boy.

Reply #621654 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Please, Hinder doesn't even come close to Redhage when it comes to sheer volume of moments of on-court douchery. It's like comparing Michael Jordan's career point totals to Harold Miner.

Reply #621656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Redhage in the SEABL was something else.

Reply #621657 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"On-Court douchery" - Petrie would own that title.

Reply #621658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Angus, this is your video!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEwRdfa0bo

Reply #621660 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yep, Hoops sinking to a new all-time low, with the dickheads out in force.
Have any of you even met Shawn, or listened to anything he's said. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times over the years. He seems to be a legitimately nice guy, who enjoys the community work.

Simple fact is his achievements speak for themselves. He'll retire as the 2nd highest games player, and 6 times MVP for the most successful team. He's won 3 NBL championships, and represented his adopted country at the Olympics.
Despite waning output over the past few years, he's still averaged 18 points across his career, playing mostly as PF often against bigger opponents.

And he would not have achieved any of that, if even half the crap his detractors say was true.

End of the day he will retire as an NBL legend, and the haters will still be sad pathetic losers.

Reply #621662 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, no question Hinder found himself involved/featuring in a lot of "incidents" over the years, but Redhage is up to something basically every single possession of the game.

Reply #621663 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can dispute his methods, but he was a winner.

Reply #621664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would be the most boring NBL player to hang around with.

Reply #621665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but Redhage is up to something basically every single possession of the game."

Ok if you're going to make stuff up then we're done.

Reply #621666 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sorry Dazz, I don't care who Redhage is off the court, I'm simply judging him on his capacity as a professional basketballer. My dislike for him only extends that far, too.

Reply #621668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like him on or off the court and I'm a Wildcats supporter lol.

I just looked up whitebread in the dictionary and a pic of Redhage came up.

Reply #621669 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Please, "making stuff up"... I don't know how many times I've seen footage of Redhage doing something off the ball and either getting away with it or drawing a foul over the length of his career, but I wish I had a dollar for each of them.

Reply #621670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have any of you even met Shawn, or listened to anything he's said. I've had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times over the years"

Yeah, and he's the most boring person I've ever met!

Reply #621671 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Take care of all your memories. ...
As you cannot relive them.........

Reply #621676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drugs are bad mmmkay....

Reply #621679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know what they say. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Redhage sure knows how to draw a foul, but the refs are the ones blowing the whistle

Reply #621683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knew him back in the Seabl days and a great guy. Plays hard and anyone that says they hate him off the court clearly doesn't know the man.

Reply #621687 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I heard that he eats kittens.

Reply #621689 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm simply judging him on his capacity as a professional basketballer. My dislike for him only extends that far, too.
So, the professional Basketballer:
~380+ NBL games
3x NBL Championships
2x All NBL 1st team
3x All NBL 2nd team
2x ALL NBL 3rd team

6x Wildcats MVP
2nd in games played
3rd in points scored
4th in Assists
3rd in offensive boards
5th in Blocks

Reply #621693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage>>>Wortho

Reply #621694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I heard that he eats kittens."

while you prefer sticking to hotdogs?

I think I know what you mean. . .

Reply #621695 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

^^ haha i think you mean he prefers Rooster.

Reply #621696 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Guess what Dazz? People are not obligated to like Redhage. Perth fans love him, good on them. He's been a Champion for them.

Everyone else is allowed to form their own opinion and most see him as a niggling flopper. He is the absolute standard bearer of flopping in the NBL. Goulding, Wagstaff, Sobey etc can only pale in comparison to his decade plus of antics.

Oh and calling people sad pathetic losers because they don't agree with you is kinda sad and pathetic.

Reply #621700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes you have to show respect, this is an occasion where if you like him or hate it's well done to a magnificent career and I'm certainly not a wildcats supporter.

Wish him good luck in the future.

Reply #621703 | Report this post

HMN  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how many good wishes he get from rival players - I'm tipping not as many as other players.

Congratulations on a successful career - even though I'm not a fan of the way he plays at all.

Reply #621707 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

(Mod: Keep it reasonable please.)

Reply #621712 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Good to see you being mature as always Dazz. Top effort there.

Yes he flops. Yes he is dirty. Yes he is a Championship player who will get his number retired.

I would love for you to be this rude to my face.

Reply #621713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!

Reply #621714 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, are you able to admit even a theoretical capacity for anyone affiliated with, or part of, the Wildcats organisation to do anything wrong?

Reply #621721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I would love for you to be this rude to my face. "

When all else fails....we have to degrade the conversation to "Come here and say that I dare you".

Roy you have the right to hate Redhage as much as you want for whatever reason you want.

Dazz have the right to laud Redhage as much as you want for whatever reason you want.

The world will continue to spin.

Reply #621725 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

This thread is all a Little sad really, I cannot think of any Australian Olympic basketball representative who , upon their retirement, has generated such a range of controversy such as this.

Reply #621726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because people don't know how to act with class when an Olympian calls it quits.

Reply #621727 | Report this post

WTF !!  
Years ago

Dazz in your list of his achievements you never bother to mention his Australian representative achievement, perhaps you should watch the "in their own words" interview with Damian Martin, ( a truly class act) to get a bit of perspective ( perspective - you know, that 3-D depth thingy that usually comes with having two functioning eyes and its accompanying bi-focal vision)

Reply #621729 | Report this post

Roy Hobbs  
Years ago

Yes I asked if he would actually say that stuff to my face, instead of being an internet tough guy. Would anyone accept a stranger saying that to their face? I doubt it.

Dazz has a bee in his bonnet about me for other reasons.

Reply #621731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No doubt Redhage made a career out of getting under his opponents skin but if some of those opponents cant find it in them to wish him well (as is the norm) then it says a lot about the quality of people they are (or aren't.)

Reply #621732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes had a solid career, played hard and done some dumb shit in the process, but hey who hasn't

Reply #621739 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Brett Maher

Reply #621743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's Dazzed. Nuff said. Start another meaningless thread Dazzed and show us some more of what little you really know about basketball.

Reply #621744 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Dazz, it must be tiring being you.

You get personally offended everytime people don't see your rose tinted view of the world. And the slightest hint of criticism towards Perth you go around calling people dickheads.

It doesn't help that you have a knack of misinterpreting basic posts which sets you off into a perpetual rage.

Nobody said Redhage wasn't a winner or a successful player because he was, but that doesn't change the fact lots of people don't like him for his methods - and that's absolutely fair.

Kings fans admit Garlepp can be a bit suspect, 36ers fans admit Drmic has a tendency to get under the skin of players and I think we all acknowledge Petrie can cause a stir. These are blatantly obvious - Redhage is probably the most blatant of all.

Take the hit and move on.

Reply #621745 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Classic case of one or two season to many but was a good player in his day.

Reply #621751 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm not convinced he's gone a season too many. He's down the end of the rotation, but he has still played some very meaningful little spells for us.
Regardless, he was an absolute machine in his day and was the prime mover in many years of successful Wildcats seasons, and I agree there's an excellent chance that the #42 will be hanging from the rafters some time soon.

None of which means that the many people who have disliked him for years need to change their opinions today. I'm pretty sure we're not that precious!

Reply #621753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have called it a day after wining the title last season. Expect Matty Knight to follow suit after the saeason is over.

Reply #621754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season

Reply #621755 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

So many having a go at Dazz for being sensitive. It's amusing cause the way you're reacting to him having a go is kinda precious too.

Like many of the greats redhage will be loved by his team and despised by those he tormented.

It is however sad when a player of his calibre can't be acknowledged for his contribution to the game without bringing up some of the perceived lesser qualities.

If Joey wins you a title will you talk about his Twitter war and when he threw a punch after a game? Doubtful

Reply #621762 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What are you on about?

The twitter war is the best thing to happen to the 36ers - from 3-6 before the event to 17-8 after event

Reply #621763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're getting mixed up with last years Twitter war, and the one before that, and the one before that...

Reply #621764 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The answer to the question is yes though, if Joey wins the 36ers the title, there will be talk of the twitter war and the fans will be bloody happy about it.

Reply #621765 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I'm sure the wildcats will try to retire his jersey and hoist it up into the rafters at the end of the season. Whether it will stay up there, or just inexplicably and periodically fall down to earth at key moments during future games remains to be seen.

Reply #621767 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Oh look, another thread derailed by anti Perth sentiment. Don't think the people on here see the irony.

Reply #621768 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

The truth hurts doesn't it!

Reply #621771 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Where's the anti-Perth sentiment?

People dislike Redhage =/= disliking Perth.

Reply #621772 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just an incredible player.

Once he shifted to PF teams around the league had to adjust to the impact he had offensively with his all-around game and defensively with his mobility, elite fitness and intelligent reads.

Credit to him the way he's continued on past his prime and still been a contributor to the team, on the court in patches and no doubt massively off the court.

Greg Hire's tribute to him was fantastic, the guy was the ultimate pro who got the best out of himself and, contrary to unpopular belief, is a really nice bloke too.

https://twitter.com/greg4hire/status/826028678400221184

Reply #621775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Where's the anti-Perth sentiment?"

Try here - www.hoops.com.au

Reply #621778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They guy is a douche, THE MOST hated guy to EVER play the game by opposition players, nothing to do with his skill he is just simply a flog and they way he conducts himself on court.
No one likes him, he plays dirty/cheap/whinges/talk $hit to everyone flops/bad mannerisms/gives cheapies then complains when roles are reversed etc etc

But he could play the game.
Still a douche tho.
But could play that's for sure!

Reply #621780 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From @nblfacts:

Most career points by active players
5791- Redhage
4730- Worthington
4286- Forman
3576- Gibson
3517- Penney
3074- Johnson
2891- Abercrombie
Redhage comfortably first in that list! As I said on Twitter, I think within a couple of years, Johnson and Abercrombie should be leading that, unless Gibson gets a second wind when the league expands, or NZ lose some talent and can keep Penney running.

Reply #621783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They guy is a douche, THE MOST hated guy to EVER play the game by opposition players, nothing to do with his skill he is just simply a flog and they way he conducts himself on court.
No one likes him, he plays dirty/cheap/whinges/talk $hit to everyone flops/bad mannerisms/gives cheapies then complains when roles are reversed etc etc
"

Oh boy!

Reply #621785 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Everybody needs a villain! Redhage is Perth's but the exaggeration on his "dirty play" is a bit much.

If half of these comments here had any validity then the guy would of fouled out every game of his career - after all the ref's see what you all see right? But wait he plays for Perth right and there's that whole conspiracy about the NBL looking after Perth and their players - right?

I hate players on other teams also, it's not a bad thing but most the time it's a hate based on respect (Worthington), other times its just cos i need a villain(Petrie, Kickert). Then there's players I hate cos they are dirty elbow swinging flogs(Conklin).

If you want to hate a player - fine - that's your right. But try to show a little bit of class and lay off the character and on-court player assassination of a legend of the game in a thread about his retirement.

Reply #621790 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Redhage will be in Cairns for the game on Sunday, and I'll have no problem going up to him, shaking his hand and saying thanks for the memories, and for what he's achieved.

Just looking forward to him and Wortho getting it on one last time :)

Reply #621799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha anon, I'm pretty sure we all knew Walker would replace redhage next season, months ago.

Reply #621806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roy Hobbs, where did Dazz say everyone should like him?? People are questioning his professionalism and ability as a pro baller. Dazz is simply providing facts to contradict those statements. It's your own decision to hate him as a person but he will go down as a legend of this league. Fans of losing clubs hate successful ones, the same goes for successful players....pathetic.

Reply #621809 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who questioned his ability as a pro baller?

Reply #621811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow this thread escalated! Jesus people not like he has died. I get why Perth fans love him and all but as opposition fan I hate him the way he plays the game the shooting action he has his fake captain America persona, and the fact he as even able to wear a boomers jersey. At the end of the day it's my opinion doesn't make it right but to the likes of dazz, for fucks sake I'm going to have it.

Reply #621832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he had died, there would still be some dickheads that think its good because he once got tangled up with a player from their favourite team.

Reply #621835 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They would say he's not really dead, he just flopped.

Reply #621845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul best on ground comment!! That bloody funny.

Reply #621851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People who said he made a career out of getting under opponents skins are severely under rating his ability. He was a genuine league MVP candidate in his day, not just some nigglerl/agitator like a ray Gordon or Russell hinder.

Also watch his retirement press conference on wildcats TV and tell me he isn't a nice man

Reply #621863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did New Zealand sack this guy? Was he struggling initially?

I heard he averaged 40ppg in the seabl

Reply #621864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He sucked with the Breakers.

Reply #621875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't it only a year later he joined the cats? Maybe it was just a confidence issue

Reply #621877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Breakers sucked at the time and replaced Redhage (who was just OK) with Timmons in a desperate move that certainly didn't pay off.

Funny thing is they brought Timmons in because they needed another 3pt shooter and he missed something like his first 25 triples for them!

Reply #621885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754