Anonymous
Years ago

Sobey post

Just though that I would re-vist an old Sobey post i saw.

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/31721-is-nathan-sobey-that-good/

Topic #40770 | Report this topic

knowledge4all  
Years ago

People in these forums are mostly here to bag people...Just go to show there's usually not that much support!!!

Reply #621928 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Is Sobey in the NBA yet?

I think most folk here will admit Sobey's game has really come along in the past 12 months....way above most peoples expectations. The fact he is a lock for MIP underlines that.

IMO, he doesn't have the height or a good enough jumper to crack the NBA.

At any rate, I like having him in the NBL. Will be very interesting to see how he performs in the pressure of a finals series in a hostile gym. Remember what happened to CG43 in the playoffs :O

Reply #621936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFL
Can't really transition to the NBA midseason in your breakout year, but 5 teams want him for summer league is the word. I also heard big Spanish Clubs are sniffing around.

so no, he's no in the NBA yet, nor is he in the SEABL as a good 'backup'

Reply #621949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Happy Days still floating around the forum? Maybe he can say now that he's not NBA material to give him some luck.

Reply #621951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean before there is an after there is alley the before to compare too. He wasn't great now he is. So be it. I'm happy he is solid now, as adelaide didn't recruit well besides Randle for this season.

Reply #621952 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"adelaide didn't recruit well besides Randle for this season."

You are funny! So Deng, Drmic, Jacobsen and Ferguson aren't good recruits? Deng and Drmic are future NBL top level players and have added great value to the team. Jacobsen is exactly what the team needed in an import big and will probably be back next season as a result. Ferguson's adds the right chemistry to the team.

You're not the same guy that kept going on about that Adelaide needs studs (Until Adelaide started dominating and now doesn't mention it) to be competitive this season?

Adelaide did excellent this season in recruiting and as a result will be in the best position for the future.

Reply #621954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not really, even with Randle at his exceptional level, of sobey hadn't have become sobey those recruits would've have dented many other nbl teams levels of play. All role players, dent hardly plays, Jacobsen better lately but seabl level. Drimic has been on existent early and many were complaining about his price tag in relation to on court value. Ferguson... well let's not get started with his input THIS season. And with the nbl the future is always now. No draft system it's best assembled for the individual season. Players move on all the time. The loyalty years are done for better or worse.

Reply #621955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we agree or not Brunson let's not make this about anything but sobey. He has saved the 36ers season in so many ways and I was one who didn't think he would turn it on like he has. He went from a couple of flash in the pan games to bonafide star. Rarity with the amount of scouting etc these days to find such a diamond in a very rough place!!! Hope he gets his ring will be a story within a season of stories.

Reply #621956 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Previous thread on Sobey turned out to be a bit of a flop. Pardon the pun.

Reply #621957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No pun there.

Reply #621958 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^ LOL

Reply #621959 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I doubt many even outside of this forum expected Sobey to be as good as he is right now. Even as far along as last season.

Reply #621965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Either way, just shows how far off 'experts' can be.

Reply #621987 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well played spot up.

Reply #621990 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Well played spot up.

Reply #621991 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

A few things:

Saying you want to re-visit an old post, by starting a new one, is a bit out there, even by my standards.

It's funny how those claiming some special foresight of Adelaide's success, seem to be the same ones who were calling for Joey to be sacked at the start of this season. So I take all these claims of "I'm so clever I told you this would happen" with a grain of salt.

Sobey was nothing special last year, and I don't think anybody thought he would be their starting start at this point.
But he has had an EXCEPTIONAL season, along with his team.
I don't know what the actual criteria are for "most improved" but it s hard to think of anyone more deserving.

Nothing wrong with talking Sobey up and applauding his achievements, but people always have to go over the top.
NBA? I don't think so.
There's obviously a big difference between the NBL and NBA, so its hard to compare apples. But suffice to say there are better players than Sobey even in the NBL.

If he could get a European passport, that might be a good option for him.

Reply #621993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fact: NBA teams are activley seeking him
Fact: Top level Euro teams are seeking him with a 'euro' passport

Nobody here is suggesting that he is the best player in the league, but what many fail to understand is, that teams on the next level are not looking at that always. They are looking for role players that can supplement an outfit already assembled. Dazz, I am sure you would have said similar things about Delly after playing at St Mary's.

I'm not saying he is Delly, I'm simply saying the teams are looking at what he does well, and think that he does that at a level that could potentially translate. Time will tell, and watching him play NBA summer league will give many a chance to see what he can really do.

Reply #622005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Without a euro passport

Reply #622006 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

How do you know he's being actively sought by the NBA and top Euro teams?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know where your information is from

Reply #622007 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754