Taipans to make it a series sweep.

Previous Meetings
R16 Taipans 85 to Hawks 79
R11 Taipans 99 to Hawks 82
R4 Hawks 83 to Taipans 98

Topic #40779 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Taipans will grind this one out purely because they are home. Hawks are good but only ever show true great glimpses at home imo

Reply #622111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a Hawks home game

Reply #622112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are at home and should win.

Reply #622113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If the Taipans are indeed some sort of bogey side for the Hawks, this is their chance to try to lessen the risk of Cairns finishing third or making finals at all. Adelaide face the Taipans twice to close the season and are likely in a position to engineer results to suit them - either go easy to allow Cairns into the four over bigger teams, or let Cairns slip into third to see if they can take out Illawarra.

Illawarra haven't seemed overly convincing for a while. Barely recovered and edged Adelaide, who had nothing on the line and were playing on the road.

Time for them to start playing consistently like a second-placed team.

Reply #622128 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"and are likely in a position to engineer results to suit them"

This is guaranteed to make the basketball gods angry and they will ensure Cairns beat Adelaide in the semi-finals. :-)

Reply #622171 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Maybe @Billy Tong meant that the Taipans will win through the Hawks' endless fouling; the African fella being Holyfield? That would kind of make sense. Or perhaps he's talking about Nnana Egwu?

Either way, it was a tasteless post, and will do nothing to stop the 'Pans taking a four game sweep over the Kawks, as they cruise into second place for the finals.

Reply #622196 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Three posters from the same IP who are clearly trolling. Comments deleted.

Reply #622201 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Should've stuck ten bucks on them when they were 40-1 at the start of the season :-)

Reply #622211 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's interesting. Hawks appear to be the better team, but Cairns do seem to have been a bogey side this season.
Cairns have won the split, but the result is still epically important for both teams. They both obviously need to add to their win tally, but also there could be multiple teams finish on 14 or 15 wins, forcing a mini-table.

Reply #622214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad. Hawks will win at home they are a different beast at the gong and cairns should find it harder to slow the tempo and play grind ball. Once the shits start flying the Hawks should have enough offense to do the job. That win over adelaide will be huge for their momentum and it's a momentum sport!

Reply #622216 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Cairns desperate to win. Putting $500 on Cairns.

Reply #622218 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Taipans by TKO in the 4th round.

Reply #622220 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

nice start refs, missing a blatant travel then calling a tech

Reply #622227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell is garbage. 3 fouls in the first quarter is pathetic.

Reply #622228 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

the softness of the foul calls is the real garbage. I didn't see any contact on Clarke's and 1.

Reply #622229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares. He can't control his temper that's his fault. Stupidity.

Reply #622230 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah Mitchell's body language is atrocious. Doesn't seem to care its a must-win playoff type game. Mind boggling that someone with his athleticism and physique doesn't look to attack the rim at every opportunity. Compared to him, Clarke was incredible. Blew out the lead in the space of 2 minutes.

Reply #622232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Mitchell. He is terrible.

Reply #622233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the Hawks have regained their mojo at the right time of the season.

Reply #622234 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

lol at ILL fans booing for the blocking foul

Reply #622235 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow Marvelle with the throw down. No wonder Maccas in Woolongong been complaining about slow burger sales...

Reply #622237 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I'm out. The home cooking's annoying me. Clear blocking foul on Ogilvy but the refs just call the out on heuir. then ogilvy travels up the other end and they give him a free throw.

Reply #622240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geez Mitchell 4 fouls in 7minutes I'd be pissed too haha Hawks putting on a clinic. Cream is starting to slowly rise.

Reply #622250 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

With less than 3 minutes left in the 3rd and his team down 23, Mitchell decided that its now a good time to start attacking the rim... SMH.

Reply #622255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6 points to hawks 4 half mins to go in the 4th.

Reply #622259 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Nice try Snakes but no cigar. How sad was that? Mitchell woke up start of 4th, keyed a run to cut lead down to 6 and fouled out. Should've played hard from the start.

Reply #622262 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Travis bloody trice. A little bit of pressure and yet again the soft, indecisive travis takes over.

Reply #622264 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Crikey, that aussie bloke Rodney Clarke is one hell of a player!!

Reply #622270 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^He reminds me a bit of that unlikely Australian Cricket fast bowler from the 70's
Rodney Hogg....same sort of nugget head on them.

Reply #622271 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Shitful performance from Cairns. Mitchell has shown he can ball, he just needs to STFU and not get teched.
@CT, you're right about Trice. Not a leader. Gliddon invisible again after quarter time.

Reply #622272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Fearne gets the sack now. Another failure of a year.

Reply #622332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Fearne select his own imports, if so they've let him down if not he's probably getting close to the end though finding anyone better could be hard with Cairns budget.

Reply #622334 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I mean, yes we were on a three-game win streak coming into the night, but this was the single most important game of the year and that's what we come up with.

The lads just weren't pumped up. People would say, "yeah it's the players' job to get themselves up each game", and they're right... but it's the coach's job to make sure the players are in a good space throughout the entire year. I think if the players are in a good space then the rest takes care of itself. As an outsider, I'd say Fearne doesn't have great winning cultures and mindsets in his teams. Yes, some players are hard to appease -- Trice looks like a spoilt lil bitch -- but good coaches make it work.

Reply #622337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Third attempt, hopefully won't somehow end up as a triple post, here goes;

Was at the game, and am not a fan of either team - but Cairns were straight up reffed out of it. So many terrible fouls (Mitchell had maybe 2 legit fouls against him, and a tech...he did carry on like a goose after being fouled out, should be fined, didn't deserve 5 fouls though).....it wasn't just the gross fouls that were called, but also so many non-calls, that should have been given - the lead wouldn't have blown out to 20+ had the refs not been so inept. (Sidenote: the word 'inept' just reminded me of Egwu...the guy is lost on the court, also thinks he can block every shot. ..probably lucky not to be called for illegal screens).

The coaching was fine....he obviously understood this game was lost by halftime, sent his guys out to have a real crack at the start of the third, soon found out the referring was still complete rubbish - so rested his stars for the upcoming home game that they should have a fair shot of winning. (Keyword: fair).

Would have been a good game if not for the refs.

Reply #622348 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Nothing hotter than a Manu hot take.

Reply #622349 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha *wink/salute*.

Mitchell is an intriguing prospect. I like him. Just quit it with the chat.

Is there a reason Nate played minimal minutes?

Reply #622352 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

injury, something he's been dealing with all season.

Reply #622353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The big fella appeared to be moving freely....possibly not as fit as he could be - can't understand why he was taken off early, i think it had to do with him just being belted all game and not getting a single call - so they were allowed to keep belting him....he was looking frustrated by halftime. I genuinely believe the coach just rested Wortho, Nate and Trice - no point everyone getting fouled out and tech'd. Just focus on the winnable games.

Reply #622354 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

and after the game got to 20 points, I would have thought the idea was not to push him given the work he'll need to do Sunday.

Reply #622355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game was too fast for him. Simple as that. And the notion he was "belted" all game is ridiculous. The physicality in last night's game compared to the physicality Hawks applied to the 36ers last round were totally poles apart. Last night's game was a track meet, not a physical game at all. He just played poorly.

Reply #622357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that could be the reason...at least part of it. They did get it back to around 7 or 9 - and they didn't seem interested in putting the starters back in. As a neutral observer, i got to the point where i didn't even know how to react to the refs decisions - very few made sense (and many calls were clearly a 'woops, we got the last one wrong...have this meaningless call instead.')

It is a shame, because that could have been a classic....maybe the finals will be better.

Reply #622360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol - ok....so i mustn't have seen elbows, knees and hard fouls every time Nate had the ball? It was textbook "hack-a-shaq" - without any of the fouls being called.

Not suggesting he had a good game....just saying he wasn't allowed to.

Reply #622361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol - ok....so i mustn't have seen elbows, knees and hard fouls every time Nate had the ball? It was textbook "hack-a-shaq" - without any of the fouls being called.

That appraisal is laughable. You might want to go back and watch the replay.

Reply #622362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain how Jawai puts up with it, it's happened all year, he deserves a fair go but never seems to happen.
All in all though Cairns were terrible and had so much to play for, there defence was woefull for 80% of the game.

Reply #622363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mate i was there, metres away....i don't need to watch the replay. I also didn't start posting to argue with anyone - just simply telling it how I saw it.

How long have you been a hawks fan?

Reply #622364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yep....Cairns were by no means playing well - but i completely understand why. Everything they did looked like it was in slow motion (until Wortho woke up)

Didn't know it happens every game. ...but not surprised, it's how i would play against Nate too....but I'd expect to be pulled up for it a few times.

Reply #622366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You saw it wrong. Maybe being meters away didn't help your perception. If you watch it again you will see why you are wrong. That would be the softest physical pressure he has faced all season. The Hawks and the game were to quick for him. Fearne basically said as much in his half time interview.

Reply #622367 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jawai should take a good hard look at himself after the season. I said this would happen under Fearne and the enabling culture there. He needs to stop allowing people to continually make excuses for him which has been going on his whole career and knuckle down and get in shape.

It won't happen of course because it's the Taipans and they gave him a 3 year contract but I just wish someone would light a fire under him.

Reply #622369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contact was hard every time he touched the ball - though he didn't touch the ball as much as he should have. As i said earlier, he doesn't look as fit as he probably should be.....and yes, the Hawks had him on the fast break. None of that means he wasn't getting belted - and beyond that, doesn't change my opinion of the refs performance - which was atrocious. That was the real story of the game...and i wish it wasn't.

The Hawks probably did have the game plan to beat the Taipans - but it wouldn't have mattered how they played, assuming the refs dictated the game the way they did last night.

Reply #622371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And they were so atrocious you are the only poster to shit can them. Usually when they are bad every one tips in. That doesn't appear the case. You got it wrong, its ok.

Reply #622372 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah I'll give you that, #357, the game was fast in the first half, but it slowed dramatically in the second. Fearne must have thought the game was lost and benched Jawai, looking forward to Sunday.

Reply #622374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe everyone is just used to seeing mediocre officiating, and accept it as part of the game? Or maybe they just chip in when they feel their team has been slighted? (Or maybe they are at reddit saying the same thing...)

Either way it doesn't matter, it happened - and if that's a typical performance from every ref, they should all be sacked...or at least retrained.

I wish your team (the Hawks, right?) all the best for the rest of the year - i don't see them going deep into the finals, but they'll give it a good shake up!

Reply #622375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky I have the game on IQ and just watched Big Nate's first period on court. He starts the first quarter and get's subbed out at 4.18. (he only plays 15.06 for the entire game)

No one comes near him for the entire 5.42 he is on the court. 1st play he get's blocked by Kay. After that he get's 2 free throws fouled by Ogilvy and after that he get's a lay up uncontested and that is his first stint on the court.

He hardly get's knee's, elbow's and hack a shaq the entire game.

Reply #622376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come Trice hardly played? Had a middle on him to get 3 assists which was looking fairly good half way through the game, but then he only went on for another few minutes in the last quarter and a half?

Reply #622377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fans get so salty when they lose. You'd think they'd be used to it by now.

Reply #622378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cool...I'm going to stop posting after this - and I'm only posting now because i think someone has mistakenly assumed I'm a Cairns fan (I'm not..as i said in at least two posts) i just don't want Cairns fans to be blamed for my opinions.

And am i salty? A little bit yeah. ....i don't appreciate how the game i love was officiated - and i wanted to share a neutral 'at the game' perspective....but it's clearly not wanted, we'd all rather judge everything from an armchair with a commentator in our ear, and probably with a bias towards one team or the other.

Cool, no worries - enjoy your discussions.

Just don't trash talk Cairns fans, when you're probably just trash talking me.

Reply #622379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go look at the replay..dont be salty. I dont follow hawks. I just dont like people making comments based on fantasy. Go watch the 1st 5.42, its there plain as day.

Reply #622380 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"How come Trice hardly played?"

Because Weeks was playing much better, as has been the case in many games this year.

Reply #622387 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Trice is a punk b****

Reply #622388 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Trice is a preening overpaid toss pot. I've got a shopping list of little non-basketball things he's done over the past 6 months that've convinced me he's got no place on any Nbl team.

Reply #622489 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754