> Football
Years ago

Joey Technical & Australia v The rest of the world

After watching the replay, Joey was not just asking for the shot clock to be reviewed, he was screaming shot clock multiple times (maybe 10 times or more), and engaging with the Refs disrespectfully

The Ref tried to talk with him & he ignored while continuing to complain so he got a tech

Then after this the other Ref, came right up to him to discuss, and was very clear with Joey that he needed to calm down before they could talk

The Ref looked calm but Joey not so much, he got the second tech and even then walked on to the court towards the ref

Perhaps the Ref could have or should have walked away and let Kevin deal with Joey and got the game going quickly but I am not sure Wright was going to stop, listen or accept the fact they were not calling a violation

My point in this post is that in the NBA and Europe a Tech foul is simply another call like a foul or flagrant foul or violation, they are all part of the rules and everyone (commentators and fans) just say " that's a tech for descent" and then they move on with the game

Here in Australia everyone makes such a big deal about what is otherwise just another part of the game.
All the blame is on the Referee

Also after looking at the play I believe the ball actually did deflect of the rim so perhaps no violation at all

I am all for giving the coach the chance to question but thought the coach deserved it this time

Thoughts?

Topic #40798 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey is a hot head deserved to be tossed. I'm also a 36er fan. So no bias, just call it how it is.

Reply #622976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a difficult situation for the referees, coaches like Joey, DD and Trev are constantly badgering the refs over 50/50s. So when refs make obvious bad calls they are reluctant to acknowledge the coaches pleas for a review. At the same time, it is their job to review questionable calls, especially at crucial times in the game. That being said I agree with you, on too many occasions this year bad calls have decided the outcome of games, and the way refs are being protected and not being held accountable for game deciding bad decisions is not the way to improve the quality of officiating in the NBL.

Reply #622978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the incident has been taken too far, with Joey using his biased mouthpiece in the media to both incorrectly claim the refs made some blunders, and that they actually had some sort of vendetta against Joey in the first place.

This is not the first time Joey's version of events have been given by Boti, who has no problem putting aside all the facts if it means he can 'poison the well' in order to paint Joey in a good light.

Reply #622980 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Thoughts?"

Blatant disrespectful attitude to refs is one of the pet peeves of mine in this league.
The league needs to crack down on it hard next season. I'm also convinced that this alone will improve the standard of reffing. You try focussing on a job that requires full focus 100% of the time, while you've got two loud babies yelling in your ear the whole time.

Clean it up. Players, coaches & refs to interact like normal civil human beings. Start dishing out more techs.
I'm all for some theatre with my sport, but when you see Gleeson carrying on all game the way he does, it's not theatre it's just embarrassing.

Just my general thoughts, and not related specifically to the Joey incidents as I didn't see that game.

Reply #622983 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm 100% with you Luuuc.

Reply #622986 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Spot on Luuuc. Bevo is the benchmark here for all other coaches to aspire to.

Reply #622989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree 100% with Luuuc,Paul, and Wilson sting. Let the refs ref without being abused all the time, by coaches and players you can ask a question respectfully cop the answer and get on with it.

Reply #622995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc correct as per usual.

Reply #623000 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I'm not sure why they do it?
DO they think it will make the refs more inclined to rule their way on the next call?
I suspect that's Gleeson's strategy when he points out bad calls, because he'll often make the point to another ref. I don't know.
Surely if a coach had a reputation for rarely questioning the refs, it would carry more weight than somebody like Joey or Trev.

I guess the difference between those two is that Trev generally knows when to back off, and just keeps waving his arms from a distance. Whereas Joey was getting right in his face.

But surely, even the biggest nong should understand that when you get a tech, you shut up and sit down?

Reply #623004 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

The team wasn't playing with much fire, Maybe he wanted to be ejected?

Reply #623007 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Saw it for first time from the replay. Thought the ref was way too dismissive of joey, seemed like they wouldn't acknowledge the possibility of what joey was saying, which of course would win him up. I don't get it, at Perth last week the refs spent about a minute in the middle of the game getting the right call from the monitors on a shot clock call and ended at the correct decision.

Either way as soon as I saw which ref called it I wasn't shocked, even my gf who only started watching basketball this season after she watched the olympics says "oh it's the guy with little man syndrome" whenever he officials a game.

Reply #623009 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I am jumping on the Luuuc bandwagon. You nailed it.

In addition it sets a poor example of behaviour for young players and coaches. About time the standard was you accept the decision good, bad or indifferent and get on with playing the game.

This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be reviews of refs and calls. Even coaches should have input to question decisions but all this should be done post game and for the purpose of improvement of umpiring, not so someone can just grandstand and bully others.

Reply #623010 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You can review what to set the clock at if it stops/starts/resets incorrectly, you can't review whether it should have been reset.

Reply #623011 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Refs will hear out coaches to a point. After a few instances in a game, they will warn the coach and then have them on a shorter leash from there. I don't think that's unreasonable. It's possible/likely that Joey had already pushed his luck by this point.

As for why they do it - influence the game, have something to do if their players aren't executing. We all argue and yell at the TV/game.

Reply #623012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaches have been known to put videos on YouTube highlighting problematic calls to bring it to the NBL's attention (well, to the boss of the refs, anyway). I think Stacker (?) had a few up there which had been left public and listed in the past.

Reply #623014 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Then after this the other Ref, came right up to him to discuss, and was very clear with Joey that he needed to calm down before they could talk. The Ref looked calm but Joey not so much, he got the second tech and even then walked on to the court towards the ref"

If they felt he wasn't calm why go up to him in the first place? A simple "It hit the ring and they forgot to reset the shot clock" would have done it.

I disagree that he wasn't calm. He wasn't yelling, swearing, abusing etc. If anything he was slightly animated but which coach isn't when they are making a point? If they are going to give that a tech then they are throwing out every coach for the same thing as all coaches are animated plenty of times throughout a game.

Hogan wanting Wright to be calm in this case meant don't speak. If the coach didn't want to listen than simply walk away. The situation could have been handled a lot better by Hogan.

On the other hand, Jawai yesterday got warned for yelling at the ref. Then continued to do it throughout the game but didn't get a tech. That is a massive inconsistency!

"Here in Australia everyone makes such a big deal about what is otherwise just another part of the game.
All the blame is on the Referee"

I don't think people care that much about a tech if it is warranted. A coach getting kicked out of the game for saying "shot clock, shot clock" is a bigger deal. Having said that a coach getting kicked out in the NBA is made a lot bigger deal than it is here. Steve Kerr the other day is a good example.

Reply #623015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"On the other hand, Jawai yesterday got warned for yelling at the ref. Then continued to do it throughout the game but didn't get a tech. That is a massive inconsistency! "

Podge says that didn't happen...

Reply #623016 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Coaches have been known to put videos on YouTube highlighting problematic calls to bring it to the NBL's attention (well, to the boss of the refs, anyway). I think Stacker (?) had a few up there which had been left public and listed in the past.
Peter Carey's entire YouTube channel was public for a lot of his tenure, which was an interesting insight.

The most amusing bit was the analysis of the 2011/12 season opener, where someone got a handful of Jerai Grant's jersey as he was trying to shoot. He went to the line on the night, Peter Carey declared it a bad call, because they were reviewing off a single camera at half court (which didn't show it) rather than the TV feed (which did).

Reply #623017 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Agree with Luuuc

Passion on behalf of your team is one thing, but losing self-control and screaming at refs because of frustration with your team's inadequacies isn't on.

I'd worry about a coach who spends more time coaching how to milk the refs and how to get around the rules than on just plain skills. I see shooting 50% on an uncontested shot, or 80% from the foul line, as a lot more important than where you need to aim to draw a blocking foul on a defender, but from watching so many players these days it seems to be all about blaming the refs than about feeling guilty because they stuffed up.

Reply #623019 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

" it's not theatre it's just embarrassing"

and theatre is only worth watching if you find it entertaining. These displays are not entertaining.

+1 to Luuuc's comments. All of them, not just the ones about coaches' behaviours.

Reply #623037 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

I'm with Luuuc, the disrespect shown to refs is out of control.

Too many times in sport the focus on the mistakes officials make, go back over any game and count the mistakes players make compared to the refs, and tell me who makes the most errors and affects the outcome of the game the most. My guess would be players.

Gleeson, DD and Joey with the way the carry on during the games should be averaging at least one tech per game.

Wilson Sting, spot on regards to Bevo, also i believe coaches should also look at Lemanis, both chat with the refs, not yell.

Reply #623224 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yes, there are inconsistencies.
As in many aspects of reffing, that is the most annoying. I think its because Ref's try and be patient, and exercise restraint.

Thing is we don't know the precise words, maybe they HAD already told him that it hit the ring. All we know is that Joey kept arguing. AND he was right in the refs face.

Trev is often a twat, he will yell, and wave his arms, point at the screen, etc, etc, but generally when the ref approaches he calms down. Not defending him at Joey's expense, the initial tech was a tough call if you consider what is sometimes tolerated.
But continuing after the tech? No way.
You leave the ref with no choice.

When I umpired and reffed kids ball, techs were handed out easily. Including to parents. People learned to show respect.

Nobody wants to see techs given out, much less see coaches or players evicted. But sometimes people just insist on pushing the line too far.

Reply #623264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu(u?)c nailed it.

Reply #623392 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australians ride every call, look at how the aussies treat cricket

Reply #623399 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754