nick
Years ago

Canadian guard looking to play in australia

Hi,

I am a Canadian-haitian basketball player completed my university basketball career in Canada (CIS). Spent the last 2 years in France now looking for the best opportunity possible to further my basketball career. Currently in French fifth division (NM3). Good overall scorer, athletic and a fierce defender on and off the ball. averaged over 15,5 points per game, 6,3 rebonds, 2,5 steals and shooting very efficiently through 24 games played last season. Last seasonTeam record was 19-7 and finished in 3rd place in the Nord-pas de calais division (north of france). If anyone can help me it would be great! here is my email: [email protected]

*Currently in France

Here is my latest highlight video

Topic #40806 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I am a Canadian-haitian basketball player "

How can you hate Canadians?? They're so friendly!

Reply #623202 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Playing French 5th division basketball is not remotely near NBL standard, you have no chance making NBL if your only good enough to play French 4th or 5th division. You'd have to be playing 2nd division at least. SEABL as well I don't think you would have any chance of making either. Maybe Big V 1st division and that's a maybe, try your luck in Big V 2nd division.
The NBL has ex NBA players in it.

Reply #623223 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I'd sign you because of the dope track on your highlight tape

Reply #623229 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I have no idea, but if you don't get any better suggestions, try the following:
Check out the various 2nd tier leagues listed here:
http://www.basketball.net.au/leagues/
identify the individual clubs, and email them your bio & highlights, and ask for feedback and advice.
The standards vary between those leagues, you might be at the right level for some, or you might at least get some helpful advice.

Keep in mind than none of those teams will pay you much at all, maybe a few hundred dollars a game, although many will try to set you up with a part-time job somewhere. (It will also depend on what type of visa you are able to get.)
And Australia is a dreadfully expensive place to live.

Reply #623237 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

We have an opening in our Monday night social team. we shoot a LOT of bricks and no one boxes out, so your rebounding numbers could sky rocket if you showed even a glimmer of motivation

Reply #623243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL has ex NBA players in it.
The NBL has had ex-NBA players struggle in it!

Reply #623245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And Australia is a dreadfully expensive place to live." Please leave Dazz.

Reply #623282 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In a survey published a few years back, Perth was rated the most expensive city in the world (including rental or mortgage) and Sydney the most expensive excluding. Given the relative movement in the R/E and rental markets, I imagine Sydney would now top both.

Take it from somebody that has actually left their keyboard and travelled, lived and worked O/S. Including USA, Canada, and Europe. Australia is an expensive place to live without an Australian Income.

If an SBL team here offered Nick a gig and promised to find him a part-time job, great. Australia's a fantastic place, and he'll have a ball. But without the right visa and a job, he'll be living in a tent in his coach's back yard and eating in soup-kitchens.

Reply #623298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah that's exactly why no state league teams have imports. oh wait

Reply #623299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The whole thing with Anons ripping on Dazz for every comment is so over done.

Nowhere in Nick's post did he suggest playing in the NBL straight out of a 5th tier French league. Anybody who's played the game has at some point had dreams of playing in a pro league, so all the power and luck to Nick!

Reply #623305 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

^
Me

Reply #623306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again Dazz you know nothing about what the expected / guaranteed pay is for imports. Tent and soup kitchens Dozzer. Get your hand off it and do some research bfore sprouting off about something you clearly don't know anything about.
Yes another Dazzism quote of the year. Tents and soup kitchens. Uck off.

Reply #623311 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm just impressed that France has (at least) 5 divisions.

If Nick comes down here he needs to be aware that our electricity supply is 240VAC, and that if he sees Poutine on a menu, 19 times out of 20 it's nothing like proper Poutine.
Also don't forget to mention the baskets.

Reply #623312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The baskets.

Reply #623313 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How do we know you're actually Canadian, eh?

Reply #623326 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Tell him about the baskets...

Reply #623327 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol @ the baskets.

The agency that successfully pitched that crap to Chemist Warehouse could sell Mexicans to Trump.

Reply #623345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thank you guys for the advice! of course I know I wont jump from 5th french division straight to the NBL.....I was more thinking about Big v type level. the french competition is good even in 5th league. I am getting paid a lil here and coaching young kids on a PVT visa. and yes I am a canadian i can even throw some quebecer words to prove it lol!

Reply #623355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

by the way PVT visa means working holiday visa sorry if I confused some

Reply #623356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any from QBL, Big V and those kind of leagues here that accepts imports would be fine to me

Reply #623357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:32 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754