Anonymous
Years ago

Greg Hire charged by NBL Game review Panel

Perth Wildcats vice-captain Greg Hire has been charged by the NBL after being cited for allegedly striking Tony Mitchell in the Wildcats game against Cairns three days ago.

The NBL has stated that Hire made intentional, medium-impact high contact with the Taipans forward - worthy of a two game suspension.

If Hire enters an early guilty plea, the suspension will be reduced to one game.

The incident occurred with seven minutes and 30 seconds remaining in the final quarter of Sunday's game.

The Perth Wildcats are disappointed to be working through such matters in the lead up to two very important games, but will follow due-process in its response to the findings.

The 179-game Wildcats veteran has never previously been cited by the NBL.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/perth-wildcats/greg-hire-suspended-nbl-game-review-panel/

Topic #40817 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why hasn't Wortho been suspended?

Reply #623448 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Its always funny when dipshit anonytrolls with their blatant perth-hating bias accuse others of pro-perth bias. (in the game thread, not here, yet)

First, has anybody actually bothered looking at the vision?
As you can CLEARLY see, Mitchell is holding Hire's arm, and Hire has to shrug out of his grip.
Then of course Mitchell has to go the whole head throw, and wobble around.

So can we assume that Mitchell isn't playing??? Hmm?
No, because unlike Knight who was genuinely concussed and is STILL in doubt, Mitchell is a cheating faker.

Reply #623451 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well if there was no contact and Mitchell is just a faker, then the Cats will appeal and Hire will be free to play. No harm done.

Reply #623452 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The early plea has been implemented and works well in the afl.
Who says it works well?
It's exactly the same problem.

How would you feel if the Cops pulled you over (when you had done nothing wrong) and said "you can give me a $100 cash, or I'll right you up for a $200 ticket"?

Reply #623455 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Guess Dazz you just need something to whinge about besides the actual incident which you can't straight faced say wasn't suspension worthy.
Incorrect.
If the NBL judges Hire to be careless, (which he was, he could have pulled his arm out differently) and therefore deserving of suspension, the only problem I have with that is the inconsistency.

Conklin's behaviour was far worse, as was the impact, and he got nothing.
Tommy hitting Matt was also careless, and again impact far worse.

Reply #623456 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'd feel like saying "I think you mean WRITE me up" but would probably keep it to myself, especially since there would be no audible difference to me in that situation.
Quite the conundrum.

Reply #623457 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well if there was no contact
It's hard to tell, are you actually illiterate, or just a dick?
Where did I say there was no contact?
and Mitchell is just a faker
as I said, is Mitchell sitting out on Thursday? Was he subbed out or even assessed for concussion?
If the answer to all those is no, then its reasonable to question his reaction.
then the Cats will appeal and Hire will be free to play
No, they can still correctly say that Hire made careless contact to the head, and that may well require as suspension.
All I'm say is that if so, then there have been other incidents equally or more deserving.

(Mod: Quotes fixed.)

Reply #623459 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't know if I'm illiterate exactly, but your flagrant abuse of the html quote tags has certainly rendered me unable to read your post.

Reply #623463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that's what is annoying about it is based off other incidents as a precedence, its not suspension worthy. If from here on this is a suspendable offence that's fine by me if its consistent, just annoying they picked now to suspend a Cats player for it. Just makes you feel a bit annoyed as a Cats fan given whats happened the last few years that Hire with his clean record gets offered 2 games (reduced to 1) for something careless and relatively low impact like that.

Realistically though our play off hopes and dreams weren't resting on hires shoulders, I'm more just annoyed with it then actually angry. We can definitely win without him, and if we lose i highly doubt it won't be because he didn't play.

Reply #623465 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looks like database corruption and a few posts lost again?

Reply #623466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will be*

Reply #623467 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Luuuc as you learned tonight you must be concussed for it to be suspension worthy. Thanks Dazz for clearing that up.

Reply #623468 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Its always funny when dipshit anonytrolls with their blatant perth-hating bias accuse others of pro-perth bias. (in the game thread, not here, yet)
Dazz, can you just shut up about this sort of thing? It just infects more threads. Countless other users of Hoops manage to discuss and argue in a far more mature way.

Reply #623471 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Doesn't look like much and I think Wildcats fans have a right to be annoyed that it started off as a two game suspension to start with, especially considering what has been both let go and had lesser charges in the past...

Reply #623472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Luuuc as you learned tonight you must be concussed for it to be suspension worthy. Thanks Dazz for clearing that up."

I think what he means is in things like the AFL the injuries suffered as a result of the offence thats been reported is largely taken into consideration. In this case there seems to be no injury, where as others that have resulted in an injury have gotten off fairly lightly considering.

Reply #623475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't we just simply get rid of Dazz? When the owner of this site is bagging him out, then please solve the problem. The only problem with that statement is that Dazz wouldn't even know.

Unfortunately most people don't understand the concussion situation. There is no such thing as a "mild concussion".
If in doubt about head trauma they should be out for 1 week minimum. Nuff said.
The severity of multiple means longer put times. It isn't a linear thing and someone like D Martin should look at his case for future reference.

Reply #623478 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Inconsistent and ignoring precedent, legally and logically it is a ridiculous decision that is embarrassing for the league.

Maybe if they showed more consistency in their decision making people wouldn't feel they were unfairly treated.

Reply #623481 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Yeah, bit cheeky but you see similar or worse in most games. It's not the call as much as the inconsistency that's the problem. I'd love to see the refs come down harder on the grubby niggly stuff that a lot of teams (and certain players in particular) have made a big part of their game but it has to be applied consistently.

Reply #623487 | Report this post

WTF !!  
Years ago

I don't mind Dazz, many of its posts just remind me of the old joke about " if you are amazed about how pig-ignorant the average person can be, then think about the fact that as they are the average , then by definition, 50% of the population is even more cringe worthy."

Reply #623495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz at this point you are literally the only reason I dilieks Perth. You are the most em irrational of fans. Greg hire struck Mitchell to the head because he was being bumped as many cutters are. He was reckless with that elbow, and like Terrence Ferguson earlier in the year deserved the suspension. Deal wth it ol mate.

Reply #623497 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Conklin's behaviour was far worse, as was the impact, and he got nothing."

The tribunal system was changed after the Conklin incident, so that isn't considered as a precedent.

Reply #623498 | Report this post

Bigmd07  
Years ago

No issue with suspension for this type of conduct.....but how about we start next season.....too late in the year to save the shit show our officials have put on thus far.....just keep it as is and then have an off season review which will see the introduction of graded flagrant fouls

Reply #623502 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Sounds rigged.

Sitting Greg Hire out for 1 or 2 games will help the Wildcats

Reply #623505 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ LOL

+1

Surely he won't be wearing Red next season. Horrible year.

Reply #623511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the way the new match committee operates, in assessing the contact base don the impact, where it landed, the intent, and then giving every incident a one match ban.

Also, the game was on Sunday, and the charge was laid late Wednesday. Get it together.

Reply #623516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seemed a little long but perhaps they were dilerbating? End of the day the right decision was made the wrong 'play' was made by hire and this game doesn't need thuggery. The product is great, hire doesn't like being bumped as the cutter... retire.

Reply #623521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"dilerbating"

prolaby

Reply #623523 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Surely he won't be wearing Red next season. Horrible year."

Seriously? He leads them in 3P% at 41%, leads them in +/- (Perth are 118 points better off with him on the floor) and has been rock solid on the defensive end.

He'll get a pay rise if he's out of contract.

Reply #623525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROFLcopter doesn't follow the NBL

Reply #623528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks elbowed Cotton top the throat and face and Cotton was called for the foul. The refs and so called review panel are a joke.

Reply #623529 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@PerthWildcats
Trevor Gleeson has told media that the club will be appealing Greg Hire's striking charge.

Reply #623535 | Report this post

Em  
Years ago

Does that mean if the appeal is dismissed it is a 2 game ban?

Reply #623539 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"@PerthWildcats
Trevor Gleeson has told media that the club will be appealing Greg Hire's striking charge."

I would be more surprised if Gleeson didn't appeal a decision....

Reply #623540 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Does that mean if the appeal is dismissed it is a 2 game ban?

I would think so as an appeal is hardly an admission of guilt.

Reply #623543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad idea. No one knows how the tribunal will determine an appeal. This isnt the right time to be testing the waters, even though I dont think it was intentional.

Reply #623545 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

I just get shivers when i see the words 'appealing' and 'Gleeson' in the same sentence, regardless of the context...

Reply #623548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's like the guy at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark, with his skin appealing off his face.

Reply #623549 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Appeal will be heard tomorrow at noon.
That's really poor!

Putting aside the incident itself, there's no way the process should be still occurring on game day of the following round.

Reply #623551 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+/- is a useless statistic when used in isolation.

Reply #623556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

+/- is a flog!

Reply #623557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL can't get their shit together to give the players a fair hearing then they shouldn't be charging them in the first place.

Reply #623562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What could they possibly be appealing? He swung his elbow in retaliation to being held up on the cut got the guy in the head. This is such a Perth thing to appeal, but surely to no avail, head high contact was made. Just need to swallow the pill this time. Unless they plan on saying he didn't make contact... ask Terrence Ferguson how that worked out.

Reply #623564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say they would be appealing that it was intentional, and the medium impact part. I would call it was negligent and low impact.

Reply #623567 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"+/- is a useless statistic when used in isolation."

It's not being used in isolation, it's being compared against the rest of his teammates across almost a full season.

Reply #623575 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"+/- is a flog!"

LOL!

Reply #623578 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Hire was careless. Fine him but not suspend him.

It is not ethical at this stage to suspend if it is not intentional. I guess that is what Wildcats' appeal will be.

Reply #623585 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

According to Gleeson's presser, they are going to challenge it. Seems risky.
Unless maybe Knight won't be up for tomorrow night, but they think he can make Melbourne?
Just seems the smart money would have been to face Sydney without Hire, and be certain of having him back for Melbourne.

The only thing I can think of, is that according to the Cats' article, the NBL assessed the contact as "INTENTIONAL." Say what you want, but that's a difficult assertion to prove.
"Careless"? Sure. Negligent or even Reckless maybe, but I can't see how they could possibly argue it was intentional.

Reply #623651 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"Seems risky."

By definition it is risky because he could have taken the known outcome but he's opted for the unknown one.
I thought you'd be all for this appeal given your comments about the incident in question.

What I'm wondering is whether a 1 game suspension is still a possibility. Hire undoubtedly whacked Mitchell with a raised elbow, so all we can argue is severity & intent. I could see them arguing it down from a 2 week punishment to 1 week. I'll be surprised if they can get it to the point where he doesn't miss a game, but if the reckon they've got a solid case then why not.
Perth really do need to win this Kings game and as much as some people take the piss, Hire has been an important part of our rotation this season. With an ageing and beaten-up team, and one that has to play in Melbourne 2 days after this crucial clash here in Perth, having those extra minutes to distribute could be a significant factor in both games.

Reply #623656 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Perth no longer favoured and the East coast rules... Joey on notice, Hire suspended, next up will be ????

Reply #623668 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Yeah, if they'd charged him with low/negligent, he'd be up for a fine with a guilty plea but a 1-week suspension if an appeal failed. So if they manage to get it brought down...do they get the fine option? Or is it still a week anyway? If the latter, it's utterly pointless challenging it given that the best case changes nothing.

Live, I thought even the USF was a bit stiff. Looks entirely accidental to me.

Reply #623671 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

My problem is that I don't know exactly what the criteria are.

As I've said all along, my biggest beef is with the inconsistency.

Now, if what I read is true and "The NBL has stated that Hire made intentional, medium-impact high contact with the Taipans forward", and by arguing it down to something less than intentional he can avoid suspension, then that's potentially a good move. I'd still be nervous because I don't trust the NBL to be rational. How did they look at it to begin with and decide "intentional"?

Reply #623673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This hasn't been handled well by the league. Has dragged out far too long with a hearing five days after the incident.

Reply #623675 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

He raised his elbows as he was going to the key in an effort to get a team mate to pass the ball to him (raised elbows to catch the ball). Not Hire's fault the other player was too busy sniffing his armpits.

Case dimissed.

The contact in last night's game was even worse than Hire.

Reply #623689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is set to be bigger than the OJ case. Accidental, please.

Reply #623690 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Greg Hire has had his penalty reduced to a 1-game suspended sentence till the end of next season.

This means, he's free to play tonight!

Reply #623738 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

That's from the Cats twitter account

Reply #623739 | Report this post

K  
Years ago

Penalty has been reduced to a 1 game suspended sentence as per Wildcats twitter. Further details not given at this stage.

This seems a fair outcome given what we've seen at various points this season.

Reply #623740 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great news for the Cats. We need all hands on deck this weekend.

(I reckon he's lucky though)

Reply #623741 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't understand why this wasn't handed down in the first place.

Reply #623742 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The attempt at tightening up unsportsmanlike play is a positive from the league. The timing and the way it was handled and the timing was completely unprofessional.

Like many things this year, good intentions even if a bit misguided, I mean this in a positive way.

The league really needs to further review it's tribunal procedures they were a long way off with their original charge. When you think of it in AFL teams the final penalty was a reprimand, the original charge was 2 weeks.There is a large discrepancy in actions that incur those penalties. Most would probably agree that, with the intention of consistently penalising undue "rough" contact 1 week with an early plea down to a suspended sentence would have made more sense from the get go. Especially if the team found out Tuesday morning.

Reply #623745 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

It's all very strange. I don't know the details, but how did the NBL ever come up with the original finding of "intentional"?
End of the day, I think its a reasonable outcome.

Reply #623748 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Nope.

He should have gotten a week off for that. To my reckoning it was intentional and low/medium impact.

Reply #623750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prove that it was intentional.

Reply #623752 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

There was no reason for his elbow to be that high in the air. He knew what he was doing. He was clearly frustrated and retaliating to being denied his cuts.

Reply #623758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He obviously swung his arm to get Mitchell off him, and he obviously made contact, but to say it was intentional is a stretch.

Reply #623761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The tribunal downgraded the charge to careless conduct so either they got it wrong, or ROFLcopter is a flog.

Reply #623765 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

It doesn't have to be either Mr Anonytroll.

The tribunal got it wrong AND ROFLcopter is a flog!

Reply #623766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats get off lightly again.

Reply #623782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754