DaHuzyBru
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb signs with WNBA's Seattle Storm

"Perth Lynx star Sami Whitcomb has signed with the Seattle Storm of the WNBA, and will join the team at the end of the current WNBL season."

http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/lynx-star-sami-whitcomb-signs-with-wnbas-seattle-storm

That is huge step up from her usual off-season duties in the WSBL.

Topic #40818 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Francis to Mercury
Talbot to Mercury
Allen to Liberty
Whitcomb to Storm

Reply #623517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the WSBL is know wide open. well done sami whitcomb,you are an absolute star so well deserved.

Reply #623518 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Absolute gun. Wildcats should have signed her.

Reply #623524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will she play for Australia in the Asian cup later this year?

Reply #623530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBA season ends in September so I doubt she'll play.

Reply #623532 | Report this post

new yoga pants  
Years ago

Sami has been great - well deserved recall to the WNBA.

Reply #623569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would she play for Australia isn't she an American or is she now naturalised, if so she the. Had to compete fir spots with all the other "naturalised Aussies

Reply #623572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's more important?

Pg Mitchell turning 32
Pf Griffin turning 30
Sg Whitcomb turning 29

Reply #623573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/from-the-wa-state-basketball-league-to-the-wnba--the-sami-whitcomb-story-20170208-gu8a4g.html

Citizenship in may

Reply #623574 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

"2017
Who's more important?

Pg Mitchell turning 32
Pf Griffin turning 30
Sg Whitcomb turning 29"

That's exactly what it will come down to IMO.
All 3 of them are international quality and would walk straight into the Opals today (assuming the next coach has a clue), possibly even as starters in all 3 cases, so to me it's about choosing our area of greatest need.

Playing some games without any of them might be the best way to figure that out.
Point guard is a critical position and Leilani has the runs on the board so it will take some great play to displace her I'd say.

Reply #623577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our pg depth is terrible.
After Mitchell...
You've got young Lavey, Mansfield and Clydesdale.
I'm not sure there's anyone else atm.

Reply #623583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of young PG will be coming through , players are always developing,
Clydesdale , Cole and lavey ,would be the the back ups right now for Mitchell, but next Olympics is four years away, you have uni games, worlds and qualifiers before you get to that, in four years time Mitchell will be 36, Whitcome will be 32, though she's more a 2 than point really, Cole, Lavet and Clydesdale will be 28, 27 and 26 yrs old, lots more in the 22 to 25 yr bracket ( by the time Olympics arrive) still developing, you have Wallace, Antoniado, Conti, Rocco, Shelley, Cubbin,, just to name a few, and I'm sure others could certainly add more,
it will al depend on who develops and who coaches the Opals, hopefully who ever it is won't make the mistakes Joyce did.

Reply #623586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only 4 young pgs to look at atm
Mansfield 27
Lavey 23
Clydesdale 23
Wehrung 21

Whitcomb, Seekamp, Garrick, Madgen, Cole, Walllace all sgs imo

I'm expecting a new young squad. Possibly...

Lavey/Mansfield
Whitcomb/Seekamp/Cumming
Allen/Talbot
Blicavs/Mijovic
Cambage/Tolo/George

Reply #623587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield at 27 isn't what you would call one of the young ones , Wherung is more a 2 than a PG

think Clydesdale is certainly one of the more consistent PGs in the WNBL

Reply #623611 | Report this post

james  
Years ago

Mansfield is having another great wnbl season.
Clydesdale has the potenial, good defender, plays smart and is lighting quick, but needs to make more of an impact on the score board.
I would be looking at Cole over Lavey, if Cole can stay injury free that is. she has looked very good this season with not alot of minutes
Lavey hasnt stood out for me this season, she didnt stand out when she was named an opal either so who knows what will happen.
If i had to choose a guard to replace Mitchel right now it would be Manfield.

Reply #625372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clydesdale has the ability to be a scorer, but in a team like Dandenong with the likes of Cummings, Blicavs and Novesal being the main scorers, it's not really her main priority, Mansfield on the other hand , her game is still the same as it's always been really , she's just playing three times the amount of minutes as she has pre iously, her shooting percentage is still the same at 40% she's just gone from taking 73 shots in a season to taking 304 , all comes down to court time, as with many players, can't see her progressing
Lavey has never been impressive in all honesty, it was the insistence of Joyce that catapulted her into the limelight, she sat for years on the Spirit bench in WNBL and in SEABL the other guards in that league were not challenged by her when she played.
She's a good player but think she will be surpassed by others coming through, depending on who,gets the opal gig though too.

Reply #625391 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lavey actually had an excellent 2015/16 WNBL season. Her game suited Perth's style very well, and she continues to be fairly effective. She has a limited game, but what she does she does effectively. She suits a team that has plenty of scoring threats and doesn't need her to do a lot else than distribute the ball and be a perimeter threat.

Mansfield is the more complete player to me, and should be pushing for an Opals spot.

I've been a Clydesdale fan for years and it has been great to see her refine her game constantly over that time. She's getting close I think.
I love Bec Cole too, and her form before her last injury was pushing into Opals territory. She hasn't recaptured that yet, but it takes time after something that serious.

There are a lot of worthy contenders. Just no standouts to me right now. Which is a definite problem. Thank goodness Leilani unexpectedly landed in our laps a few years ago or we would have dropped even further once Kristi retired.

Reply #625396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell 15.96pts, 4.26rbds, 6.22asts, 41%fg, 92%ft, 37%3pt.

Mansfield 14.55pts, 4.68rbds, 4.95asts, 36%fg, 90%ft, 34%3pt.

Cole 8.61pts, 2.52rbds, 3.22asts, 40%fg, 85%ft, 14%3pt.

Lavey 6.89pts, 3.67rbds, 4.50asts, 32%fg, 76%ft, 25%3pt.

Clydesdale 8.09pts, 2.52rbds, 2.52asts, 40%fg, 77%ft, 35%3pt.

We really have little depth at this position.

Reply #625412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754