LC
Years ago

Jock Landale shortlisted for the Naismith Trophy

After almost averaging a double-double for Saint Mary's this season, Jock Landale has been shortlisted as one of the Top 30 players shortlisted for the 2017 Naismith Trophy, one of the most prestigious individual accolades in college basketball.

Jock Landale shortlisted for the Naismith Trophy

Topic #40824 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

LC Do you believe he has a chance of playing NBA? No draft sites have him in the 1st or 2nd round

Reply #623709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon second round next season.

Reply #623710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Odd that he got the nod over mika from byu.

Reply #623711 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I think Jock will most likely have a similar career path to Cam Bairstow

Reply #623719 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

There is every chance he does go 2nd round next year. While I would love to see him play NBA, I personally believe his game and style is more suited to the European style.

Reply #623732 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I see him as a Euro guy at this stage. The area he needs to work on is his D against quicker opponents on the perimeter. I imagine he'll spend a lot of time on sliding his feet during the off season. He has great hands on the catch with a soft release, he is athletic enough that he can get up and finish above the rim and his interior D is fine. His game is similar to former WCC big Sabonis from GU (now at OKC) without the ability on exterior defence.

Reply #623780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"jock"... lol

Reply #623783 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AKA - that is a very accurate description in comparing him to Sabonis.

Reply #623811 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Jock doing great, good luck to him, nice kid.

Watching the game today though, Gonzaga v St Mary's and the way he and the other bigs for the Gaels are trying to defend Karnowski makes me wonder about how they are being taught.

Karnowski is a beast, probably 300lbs and can score in multiple ways, but not as versatile as the Gael's big guys.

So, why are they playing him from behind on defence, not fronting him on his shoulder?

Reply #624457 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

Watched the game vs Gonzaga on Youtube. By memory Karnowski wasn't a great factor in the first game St Mary's played against Gonzaga, so maybe it was a mistake to let him catch the ball so deep, but in my estimation I Jock actually increased his value in my eyes because he had to put in double duty v Karnowski and highly rated Zack Collins.He showed incredible touch in the Gonzaga game and advanced footwork, and the only weaknesses I see in his game are fouls and gradually adjusting to small things when playing against ranked players and teams since the WCC competition is not consistently good.

I'd like to see him at least putting out feelers for the NBA this year because I think his touch, nimbleness, passing, intelligence, footwork will translate to higher level play and I also think he can improve his range consistently out to three point territory. I fear that if he returns to college next year he will regress by virtue of playing mediocre opponents 75% of the time when he should be a definite national team and NBA prospect.

Reply #625135 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754