Isaac
Years ago

Breakers vs United, Feb 10

This should be our first chance to start refining the finals picture. If the Breakers lose this, they're out. If Melbourne lose, I think they might have another crack with the Perth game on Feb 12?

Topic #40826 | Report this topic

GordonG  
Years ago

Just to confuse it even more (you mean it isn't already?) I think if the Breakers win, we (Taipans) go through to the finals. Haven't a clue where, but I know it's not first :)

And you ain't seen nothin' yet from the guys...

Reply #623716 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Breakers and Perth win tonight then I think Cairns are in.

If Sydney win we could still end up with Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns and NZ in a tie-breaker for two spots, in which case the Taipans finish fifth (I think!).

Reply #623720 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, this is it.

For the storied Breakers franchise, win tonight or it's all over.

For star studded Melbourne United, win and you can start dreaming about second position. (If Melb win both and Cairns beat Adelaide again, Melb get first). Lose and they'll be relying on Sydney beating Perth to keep their hopes alive.

NZ hasn't been a happy hunting ground for UTD, but with a healthy Casper and CG43, United are 10-4 this season (10-6 overall with Casper, discounting the Adelaide and Illawarra games where injuries hit hard).

Mitchell's absence leaves NZ with a frontcourt of Pledger, Loe, the foul prone Vukona (Who leads the league with 3.6 fouls per game despite playing 19.6 minutes a game) and Delaney.

But really, there's no form guide for this game- the two teams haven't matched up with both Dillard and Ware in uniform. I'm tipping a gruelling, close contest. The stakes are high, so expect nothing less from two tough sides.

Bring it!

Reply #623734 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"(If Melb win both and Cairns beat Adelaide again, Melb get first)"

Obviously meant to say *second*

Other option is Melb win both and Illawarra lose to Brisbane (irrespective of Cairns / Ade), United would get 2nd in that scenario too.

Reply #623735 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

The first Melbourne/Aus born from a proud Kiwi family I'm always conflicted during these match ups.

Melbourne never look great playing in NZ, but if their casual performance from last year's finals round is anything to go by I think they'll be taking it a lot more seriously tonight.

I think NZ might be just a bit too banged up and missing pieces to be a definite lock, but still tipping them to only just nudge out United for the fact they're at home.

Looking forward to the Ware/Dillard match up.

Reply #623746 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Tonight we will find out a lot about United.

They've have been bad on the road and trash in NZ so everything points to a Breakers win.

DD would be shitting razorblades!

Reply #623754 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yep, yet another massive game, and as Isaac said in his OP, after tonight we'll have a much clearer picture. (Or at least a few less permutations.)
NZ lose, they are out. period.
MU lose, it gets very hard for them. They would need other results to go their way, and then win the last game against Perth.

Both teams are getting better at the right end of the season.
I've got to tip NZ at home, and I reckon that the 6's may come to regret dropping that game.

Reply #623762 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Dazz, Adelaide will be in the gf, nz won't be like last season. United and Illawarra I think have the fire power to compete against Adelaide.

My only question is how are they going to ref the finals? If Perth make it, is the physical style going to be allowed? If yes and Perth make it then maybe.

All depends on how Adelaide handle the pressure of finals and a full house expecting not wishing they win. Perth sometimes struggle at home when it's a sellout knowing the crowd is expecting a w.

Reply #623773 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

c4l,
I think that in a 5 game GF series, Adelaide will win out.
If they are vulnerable (which is a big if) I feel it is in the SF.
The one team you don't want to face is NZ. Just ask MU!

If NZ win this one, they finish on 14 wins, with a very real chance of finishing 4th.

Reply #623776 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I never thought Adelaide would finish on top and did with games to spare. Think the cats casually thought they would stroll in this season and to be fair Sydney is the only team to go out and make a statement on recruiting.

Adelaide, Illawarra, cairns, budget wise would be there abouts. Think they have exceeded expectations which is great for the nil in general.

I bleed Perth but this season has to be the most up and down and inconsistent on and off the court. When you pay good money to support a team that charges a arm and a leg you expect the best, if not drop the price and hope for the best every season.

Reply #623778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

9-9 early

Reply #623791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did Goulding play for the Boomers? Trash basketballer.

Reply #623795 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

CG43 is inconsistent....but if he gets hot, he'll take the game away from you.

Not many in the league are capable of that.

Reply #623797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many years has he been in the league? And he's STILL inconsistent? Amazing.

Reply #623798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a superstar you can rely on... in very short spurts when running hot from chucking.

Reply #623799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HT 38-38

Reply #623800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be such a great game if they would stop chucking from 3. Both teams.

Reply #623801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This would be such a great league if they would stop chucking from 3. All teams."

Reply #623803 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yep, enough talented players in both teams to attack the rack. Where'd this 3 point obsession come from!?

Stephen Curry is a flog!

Reply #623804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's as if there are no plays being run or playbooks exist in the NBL. Try to score off a broken lame play then chuck it up. Or chuck it up without even attempting the ineffective play. lol

Reply #623806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or the NBL players have been watching too much NBA and thinking "derpity derp derp me also shoot more from three now like them!!11"

Reply #623807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but hey we have PARITY!

47-47 right now midway through the third. parity of scores!

Reply #623808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers fan with a whistle in the crowd. Are you guys still mad about Trevor Chappell?

Reply #623810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are almost cooked and where's Chris Goulding? Is he even playing still? Overrated hack.

Reply #623812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kick the crowd member with the whistle out please

Reply #623813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Utd have no heart 67-55 hahahaha losers

Reply #623814 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Why is it United can't play on the road? No sense of urgency either

Reply #623816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DD is a total dud.

Reply #623817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Melb Utd when they recruited him used this line of thinking:

Says "a''ighhhht" x 10000 in timeouts like Goorjian > ? > PROFIT

Reply #623818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United has many friends in not playing well on Road

United 4W-9L
Wildcats 4W-9L
Taipans 4W-9L
Bullets 4W-9L
Breakers 5W-9L
Hawks 6W-8L
kings 6W-7L

Reply #623819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ADL 8-6 on road, even that is barely acceptable. All NBL teams suck on the road, they are homers.

Reply #623820 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Missed the first 3 quarters, but Delany looking the goods this Q.

Reply #623821 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

LOL

With the season on the line CG43 shoots a blistering 16% from the field....2/12 bitches!!!!

Why does that guy go missing when the pressure is on?

Reply #623824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United 5 assists on 24 field goals hahahahahahahahaha

Reply #623825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He is a superstar you can rely on... in very short spurts when running hot from chucking."

Too bad the spurts are so short ;)

Reply #623827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

88 to 70 Breakers FT

Reply #623828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is 13/44 from the field in his last 3 games.

LOL. Pathetic.

Reply #623829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His shooting went bad after the stint with Cavs summer league team. I guess that was his career highlight.

Reply #623830 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What an inspid and gutless performance by Melbourne getting flogged by a Breakers team missing Mitchell & Vukona.

Reply #623831 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

United are flogs!!

Reply #623832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with ROFLuuucopter.

Reply #623833 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

That improves our chances. I think we can now finish no lower than 4th. Maybe not the wooden spoon that was predicted for either us or the Hawks...

Reply #623836 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Go the Taipans!

Reply #623838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That improves our chances. I think we can now finish no lower than 8th. Which team am I talking about? I'm not sure.

Reply #623839 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Disappointing finish, (probable) to United's season there.

Gutsy effort by undermanned NZ, strong D

Although United were rubbish tonight, I'll remember this as a season ruined by injury. Goulding, Blanchfield, Andersen, Barlow, Moore all missing 5-10 games, it was a revolving door and the team never got any continuity or rhythm.

Reply #623844 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Well that was the Finn Delany dunk show.

Need Perth to win tonight - our chances tab on Perth > Sydney and Melbourne > Perth to knock both out.

Reply #623845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can also remember it by Goulding not standing up when his team needs him the most and cost them a finals spot because he's a selfish, brick-shooting hack.

Reply #623846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah let's just ignore the fact he helped them get into the position to be able to challenge for a finals spot idiot.

Reply #623849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... but where has he been the last 3 games?

Reply #623850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... chucking from 3 :)

Reply #623851 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So NZ Hang in there.

Looking tough for MU.

Reply #623852 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

What was going with majok? Hardly see him play?

Reply #623854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes 41.5% 3pm for the season is terrible.

Reply #623856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14/43 from the field in the last 3 games when it matters most.

Reply #623859 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Interesting lately how much Wesley has fallen out of United's rotation.

Reply #623861 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Once again a hard year to be a Melbourne supporter.
Watching that preening cockbird is always a bit of an ordeal, but seeing the general lack of squad cohesion was often saddening. A team of champions, as they say, but not the championship team they should have been.
Yes, there were season disruptions along the way, but tonight all that was well behind them.
Melbourne's players have played for themselves alone, it seems, and not for each other.

Reply #623865 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Just like the Brady Bunch... Goulding Goulding Goulding 31 shots the rest of his team didn't make. Time for a new coach and move Goulding on or get better control of him. Joey and Randle have the right idea... TEAM... Simples really. Wesley and Blanchfield should run for the hills if not. Injuries no excuse, they keep buying in ready made talent. Same as last few season. Consistent things from each year is the coach and Spoilding

Reply #623867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good teams never play for themselves. They play for the Coach. Nuff said.

Reply #623876 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Scrappy game, two tired teams trying to rise to the occasion. Thankfully right result, but I don't think the the other 6 teams are shaking in their boots. Casper Anderson and Boon only players to show up for Melbourne. Pretty lame effort on their part.
Breakers have split on Melbourne and Perth, but Illawara and Cairns have split on Breakers.
If Perth win twice, Cairns win or lose to Adelaide and Illawarra beat Brisbane we could get shut out.

Reply #623877 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers finally looked after the ball.

Ili was clutch hitting the 3's everytime Ware hit one and Finn "Diesel" Delany showed his hustle and athletism .

I don't think NZ will make the finals but have had a tough season with injuries and have shown some guts and resilance in battling back to playoff contention which as a fan I'm happy with.

Reply #624107 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As a Breakers fan you'd have to be very disappointed with all the basic errors they made this year, and the coaching staff's poor tactical adjustments.

On the flipside, their halfcourt offence and defence are close to the best in the league, and the improvement in Ili and Delany has been outstanding.

Heading into next season with those two, Penney, Abercrombie, Loe, Pledger, Vukona (and possibly a healthy C Webster) is a super platform.

Now Breakers fans just need to hope they can add Isaac Fotu and/or Tai Webster and they'll be in terrific shape for a title run.

Reply #624109 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754