Anonymous
Years ago

36ers vs Taipans 11th Feb

second match of the away/home double between these 2 teams.

36ers lead series 2-1 with a 25 point differential.

Topic #40831 | Report this topic

Joey Wright in the paper saying he'll be looking to ramp up this game as a lead-in to finals. Randle still potentially limited by a corky and being "protected", but everyone else on deck. If the 36ers lose, then it's warning bells for their finals push if you ask me.

Reply #624128 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Going into the final series with four straight losses could not be good - even if everyone is fit. Need to get this one

Reply #624152 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Agreed, especially at home. All for nothing if they lose round 1 at home, have to find the rhythm.

Reply #624159 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

might struggle with doyle instead of randle..
still , drmic 17points in 17 minutes , last game.. wonder how many he wouldda got given a few more minutes. that games top scorer in only 17minutes...
still, joey was playen strange minutes that game...

Reply #624163 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

And of course we would like to win, as I think that would give us 2nd spot on the ladder...

Not bad considering so many 'experts' wrote both our teams off (and the Hawks) at the beginning of the season :)

Go Taipans!

Reply #624164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans will gift this one to the 36ers. They have been fighting very hard to get that spot locked in. Now is the ONLY chance that have from here on in to rest key guys. No need to push for this random solo game. Adelaide on the other hand will be looking to make a mini statement so with those factors in play, Adelaide by 10+.

Reply #624167 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You would hope Joey and the Sixers get real for this game, the last chance to get back in a groove before the playoffs.

I'll spew if we play Doyle late in the game over Randle again tonight.

Reply #624175 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Nice tribute to Wortho before the game on the cube. Good job Sixers

Reply #624214 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Creek starting over Ferg.

Reply #624217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My money is these two teams meeting again on Thursday

Reply #624218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BTW, the Taipans want to finish second so they wont be handing this over to the 6ers anon.

Reply #624219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell is so awful. Keeps shooting bricks and Fearne let's him. He has one of the ugliest shots I've ever seen for an import in this league.

Reply #624222 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

games leading scorer , m. hodgson . ..first sub out , of course..

Reply #624223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Reply #624226 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Well at least Jawai will be well rested for the playoffs next week

Reply #624227 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

"Well at least Jawai will be well rested for the playoffs next week"

Yep, a Fearne plot... :)

Reply #624228 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

4 fouls in a half, wow home cooking at its best!
No delay of game for Randle grabbing the ball after a basket. Randle dummy spits more Thursday night than Jawai,no tech...

Reply #624229 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

joey seems to be doing a lotta subbing... more than he usually does..

Reply #624231 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Here come the snakes!!!

Reply #624238 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Been a very poor 3rd quarter with bad decision making by the 6ers. Numerous cheap back court fouls when the other team is in the bonus and multiple soft turnovers.

Reply #624239 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

So who does Joey want to play next week?

If they beat Cairns today, they'll likely face them in the semis.

Wouldn't that get old, basically a 5 game series.

Reply #624241 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

36ers stumbling into the playoffs

Reply #624242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are pretenders

Reply #624244 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would've thought we would want Cairns in the finals but we need to win to do that and unlikely happen with Randle & DJ on the bench.

Reply #624245 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

...and it looks like the cats will be playing for 3rd

Reply #624246 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

So looks like 4 losses in a row heading into finals. Really disappointing. I'm very worried about next week now.

Reply #624247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide looks terrible. Losing to the Breakers at home and now twice to the taipans.

Reply #624248 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

LOL

6ers are flogs!!

Reply #624249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers are cooked

Reply #624250 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle wants the win

Reply #624252 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Well. A pathetic 3rd 1/4 33/17. Numerous dumb fouls. Poor coaching, dumb play & hopeless free throw shooting leaves 6ers down 89-82 in 4th. Game should have been done at 1/2 time. Bye bye Joey Wright. You are rubbish

Reply #624253 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Can the 36ers flick the switch? Intentional or not they are heading into the finals in their worst form of the season.

If cats win they get Hawks in the 1st I believe.

36ers could get knocked out in the first round, the Hawks can get very hot.

Reply #624255 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Interesting way the season is ending here, I would be concerned that the 6'ers have lost a few lately and it is hard to just flick the switch, but home court during finals is always a bonus...

Melbourne and Sydney have been huge flops, not sure how the United coach will go, but Gaze should get another run next season.

Reply #624259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well this isn't ideal

Reply #624260 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Reply #624261 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

Wow. Just call it how it is. Strange coaching decisions with rotation. Poor free throw shooting. Average defensive effort & easy fouls in 3rd all leads to Adelaide letting slip a game that was there's at half time. If everyone thinks our coach is safe I can assure you he's not. Adelaide are extremely annoyed with how this team is playing & unless a good run in finals you could see Wright on the outer for next season

Reply #624262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Kickert call us thirty snitches again? That seemed to flick the switch last time.

Reply #624263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see Adelaide winning another game.

Reply #624264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah form looks to be gone. Probably be rolled first round of the playoffs.

Reply #624267 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This isn't good.

If Perth win tomorrow then we're playing the one team in the league we would've wanted to avoid in the SF in the Hawks.

Reply #624269 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

No tanks were harmed in the making of this win.

Reply #624270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

waiting for Dazz to come with another claim of tanking

Reply #624271 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Some very happy critters up here in Taipans Territory :)

Reply #624277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pass the ball and get your team mates involved Jerome! Taking crazy bad shots doesn't make a star! Get back to how you played all season

Reply #624286 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Ahmm, this is a 36r-centric site, right?
Hello? Any 36r's out there waiting to comment?
No? Anyone else then?

Reply #624288 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Manu Fidel, you're out there I know.
[Podge is there too, but he's busy in a 'professional' capacity, drinking beer no doubt.]
Wu has delivered for the Taipans is a way I could never have envisaged at the start of the season.
I was absolutely wrong about this man's potential. He has been an astounding bargain for the Taipans, highlighting the inadequacy of Jawai.
King, you should have kept working on your game. Obviously anything is possible.
Best regards to the Taipans and their supporters. The Pans are there. And yes , I was prescient about that.

Reply #624298 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Nnanna has been one of my favourite players since the start of the season. You still have not seen (by a long way) the best of him yet. He may look a bit (okay, a lot) gumby on the court, but his energy, enthusiasm and all-round team-player abilities more than make up for it.

I just love watching him get the ball and it's almost like "WTF? Someone gave it to me? Oh well, I'll just jam the bastard into that little hole thingy up there!" Or I've seen him outside the arc with the ball in his hands and everyone scrambling to cover the shooters that they just KNOW he is going to pass it to - until he sinks the 3 himself. They've kinda woken up to that now. You should see him in warmup - drops 3s from all over.

Just a real nice guy who is prepared to get in there and junk it up for the opposition, I hope we keep him.

Reply #624300 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

"With less than five minutes playing time to his name, Jawai hit the pine on a technical foul for verbals. Meanwhile, the refs kept Cairns coach Aaron Fearne hot under the collar, as the visitors more than doubled Adelaide's foul total - 13-5 to the half."

Happens so regularly with such an uneven foul count at half time. The referees come out with predictable intent to balance the foul count. After all the game of basketball is really all about the referees call stats looking good isn't it. So they applied their acumen to about a 10 -2 run of mostly super soft fouls on the sixers.

The umpiring in that third quarter was disgraceful!

Joey didn't seem to care, he let the momentum get sucked out of the game, did nothing to deter Cairns from their exceptionally clean shooting

The practice of obvious stat balancing is not unique to basketball. Happens in other sports as well. Its common to see uneven free counts in football re balanced during the third quarter with soft back half calls.

I thought Jawai,s tech was a disgrace as well. The umpires are so soft they are spoiling the product and its true they seem to be as dumb as their sponsor's name implies.

I would really like the crowd when they want to Boo the referees foe a dud call to chant, Dodo, Dodo, Dodo on and on until they get the message. Much more effective than booing. Then again they might interpret it as complimentary.

I do hope Joey gets serious again for the finals.

There were a few highlights here and there but the game was ruined by inconsistent calls and was poor value for money tonight!

Reply #624301 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

speaking as a long time 36ers supporter, Cairns' win just paid for my 2017 season tickets. Moderately happy about that . :)

Reply #624303 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Funny when I suggested the cats copped the same one sided second half treatment against cairns that contributed to their loss I was told I was one eyed...

Reply #624320 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@J, get over those salty tears, mate. It seems to have happened in half the games this year. No team has been disadvantaged by poor refereeing more than any other throughout the season.

Here come the whiners: "what about when this happened to my team. We was robbed..."

Everyone thinks their team gets the rough end of the stick from the dodo dunderheads.

Reply #624335 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

That was a great win for the Snakes. What a fabulous team effort. I'm really looking forward to a huge semi final series, whether it's Perth or Illawarra. Both are finishing strong; my only concern is going up against the refs in Perth.

;P

Sorry, @J, couldn't resist a little dig!

Reply #624336 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Cairns's second unit were great last night, Weigh exceptional and Weeks with one of his better games in a while.

Trice is getting to the line and the bench play in recent weeks should give Cairn confidence. Are they now the team to beat :-)

I now wish the club hadn't shown the Wortho tribute, not only did he get a good reception (well done fellow Adelaide fans) but he turned in a vintage Wortho game with dagger 3's and exceptional acts of physics.

Finals begin Thursday, I still expect Sixers to step it up a notch but hope is now playing a bigger role than confidently knowing they have another level.

Reply #624339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only comfort i take as 36ers fan from going into the finals with a 4 game losing streak is that the team put themselves in a match winning position in all 4 games.

Hawks lead by 11 earlier in the 3rd.
Breakers lead by 11 at 3QT
Taipans (Away) lead by 10 late in the 3rd.
Taipans (Home) lead by 15 late in the 2nd.

Reply #624342 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

No worries freethrows, was just having a dig myself anyways.

Reply #624345 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well 36ers TANK another one.

If Perth win today 36ers will play Hawkes in semi and that could be really dangerous for them

This could be a HAWKES/PERTH G/F.

Reply #624350 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Thunder Jam "4 fouls in a half, wow home cooking at its best!"

1st foul slapped Hodgson's arms to stop him getting a layup. He didn't complain at all
2nd foul was a moving screen. It was a moving screen and he didn't complain at all
3rd foul he hooked a player trying to do an offensive move. Obvious foul
4th foul had two hands in the back of Hodgson and moved him out of position as a result. Obvious foul

Not sure where the home cooking was in any of those plays....

"No delay of game for Randle grabbing the ball after a basket."

4:26 to go in the first quarter Mitchell travels then throws the ball away from the referee. No game delay warning.

George "Bye bye Joey Wright. You are rubbish", "If everyone thinks our coach is safe I can assure you he's not."

Actually no he will be coach of the year and has done a fantastic job and ensured a great future ahead for the Sixers. Even if the Sixers don't win a game in the semi finals his job will still be safe. He will see out his contract and will probably be offered a new contract when that is finished. Sorry to upset you with that news, now continue on with your chip on your shoulder.

ayjay "I would really like the crowd when they want to Boo the referees foe a dud call to chant, Dodo, Dodo, Dodo on and on until they get the message. Much more effective than booing."

Booing is a lot more effective. Depending on if they actually show the replay and how bad of a call it is the refs can interpret how wrong of a call it is. Saying dodo, dodo sounds lame

Reply #624356 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Congratulations to Taipans. I have doubted them all season. They have a well balanced team.

They deserved the win last night with there never say die attitude. To be honest I think they looked better without Jawai.

The last 4 games have not deterred my confidence in this team. The reason being as Anonymous #624342 said we have been up in all those games and could have won them. Having said that we could not win a game in the finals because this league is so close so anything is possible.

Last night we had our chances but didn't put them away with foul shots (or get back into the game for the same reason). We missed easy shots. Our defense broke down. There was some odd rotations and credit to Tapians their zone slowed us down. Great effort by Tapians bench!

How Worthington didn't get an unsportsmanlike foul for no attempt on the ball when Jacobsen was laying it up on the fastbreak in the 4th quarter I will never know. You can't just grab the bicep and say it is an attempt on the ball. NBL needs to get more consistent on that call.

Reply #624366 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

agreed Brunson. We just don't know what interpretation the refs are going with. Have seen so many calls when players just grabbed to stop the basket called unsportsmanlike. The other one is the flop call again. The two charge calls made last night would have been called flops in the first half of the season. The refs seemed to have stopped calling flops and now just reward the defender.

Good to see some half decent sweat boys on the floor last night.

Reply #624425 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

EYYYY ma boi Greybouy. Damn that was one hell of a night last night.

Who would've thought. Still going nuts thinking about it rn. Are we daring to dream? Nah tbh. I would've been had we played Illawarra in the semis but this Perth team man... I'm not at all confident now. They playing their best ball of the season, Prather' clearly had a leg transplant and they're at full strength. In saying that, we haven't played better this season either but I dunno. Doubt it's gonna be our year.

Still think Adelaide is a cut above. In saying that, they have their kryptonite in Illawarra. And we thought the regular season was tight...

Reply #624558 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

How psyched are we, Snakes fans?

Reply #624561 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

T Mitchell yet to hit his straps

Reply #624563 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha I'm worried about your emotional well being Manu, you've been up and down like Jawai's pants all season.

Reply #624675 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah I have my reservations about this team and this coach. We've just hit a patch of form at the right time. Perth will dust us I reckon.

Let's ride it while it lasts though aye Podgey me boy

Reply #624682 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth didn't exactly look convincing today. I think their two previous blowout wins say more about Sydney and Brisbane than they do about Perth.

Reply #624687 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Casey had his best NBL game. They were pretty damn impressive today imo.

I probably don't rate Cairns as much as the rest of you do. As much as I love Travis 'good bloke' Trice

Reply #624696 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha riding till i die.

Let Fearne into your heart Manu, let him in.

Reply #624846 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754