Red74
Years ago

Could Cody Ellis become a Wildcat at last?

With Redhage retiring, could the cats finally have physical and financial room for him.?

Topic #40843 | Report this topic

BOL  
Years ago

I dont know what contract he is on at the hawks but he would be a very handy player coming off the bench

Reply #624202 | Report this post

NBL Comm  
Years ago

He isn't a great player.

Reply #624204 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

I would hope so. I think he is a decent backup and a good role player. In wouldn't say he is starter material at this point.

He is pretty tough and strong which can be a bonus for a bench that has as I would say, and I'm a cats supporter, the habit of falling down due to poor centre of gravity.

There have been someone on here , not sure who, whom thinks Walker is going to hang around. I think he brings more athleticism but who knows.

Reply #624208 | Report this post

Heather  
Years ago

Why would he want to play for Perth after the shitty treatment Marvin gave his dad?

Reply #624210 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

He is so shit- god, what does he do at a high level? He seems below average at every key basketball skill.

When he was with kings- I use to think I was watching a SEABL player try and play professional basketball

Reply #624211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is some bad blood there. Nothing like Stephen Black and the Cats regarding Alan Black, but it's there. I highly doubt he would ever become a Cat.

Reply #624215 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

I thought the cats were talking to him when he was finishing college and he couldn't come back to Perth until 2/3 way through the season. Which lead to him signing with the violet crumbles.

Reply #624221 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I doubt it.
I don't know what they will do, but I expect the Cats will look to inject quality at the time of the order, rather than purposefully sign an 11th man.
Knight and Wagstaff aren't getting any younger, and that's assuming Matty plays on.

Reply #624237 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

top of the order

Reply #624243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight will call it quits despite having a year on his deal.

Reply #624257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike has a long memory as does Cody.

Reply #624289 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ellis was given a job as "team manager" because he is a club legend.
When Black fell out with the Club (again) Ellis was a hasty replacement, and became the worst Cats coach in history, leading us to our first losing season in 20 years. If it hadn't been for the overly generous final-8 system still in place, he would have ended the streak right then and there.

I can't recall if he was actually sacked, or had the good sense to resign before the fans strung him from the rafters (in place of his singlet).

Either way, not sure what he's got to be peeved about?

Reply #624309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks can keep him, would rather Redhage played on another year!

Reply #624321 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Didnt Marvin join the Wildcats after the Ellis sacking? Wasnt Vlahov in charge of that? Not sure what issue Cody and Mike would have against the club now.

Agree with Dazz though, his sacking was fairly well justified after Ellis coached them to their worst season since 86. It eas nothing like Alan Black's sacking.

I dont think theres bad blood anymore. Mike Ellis regurlarly attends Wildcats games.

Reply #624349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha Dazz got his timing all wrong. Ellis debacle was under Vlahov ownership. lol. Another classic example of a "newer" NBL fan reading back through history and then writing about it as if he was there at the time. Kevin Brooks who? lol

Reply #624370 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

^ think you got your poster wrong. Check again. It wasnt dazz. I pointed out that it was Vlahov, but it was Heather who thought it was Marvin. However she could be right. I dont know exactly when Marvin took over.

Reply #624395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok if it was Heather not Dazz then I retract.

BUT there is no way she is right. Vlahov ownership was still running through when Ellis got sacked, who was ultimately replaced by Fisher for four seasons. After Fisher left, there was a season of Conner Henry which after that Vlahov sold to Bendat bringing Marvin along (yuck).

Reply #624398 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Heather merely said Ellis was mistreated by Marvin, it was Dazz who brought up his head coaching tenure. Heather may have been mistaken, or may have been referring to something that's happened since.

Bendat and Marvin came in during Fisher's tenure. 05/06 from memory.

Reply #624401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin is known to rub people the wrong way though so anything is possible with that guy.

Reply #624403 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Perhaps the leanest years of Wildcats history there. Those were pretty average years to be a Cats fan. Im certainly no fan of Marvin but so glad to be out of the doldrums of the Ellis-Fisher-Henry years under Vlahov.

Anyway, I wouldnt mind Cody Ellis at the Cats if he was a direct replacement for Redhage.

Reply #624404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But I'm pretty sure the major beef at the time was Ellis vs. Vlahov even though they did offer Ellis his position as team manager again. But from Ellis' point of view it was demotion so he moved on to his outside-of-basketball career.

Reply #624405 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Henry before Fisher, sorry.

Reply #624406 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

Lucas Walker has remained with the team all season, perhaps he's the planned Redhage replacement?

Reply #624426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz wrong again. Someone please keep a check of the expert please.

Reply #624515 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Henry before Fisher, sorry.
You were right the first time.

1982: Henry Daigle
1983: Gordon Ellis
1984: Lyn Massey
1985-86: Jay Brehmer
1987-88: Cal Bruton
1989-90: Alan Black
1990: Cal Bruton
1991-92: Murray Arnold
1993-97: Adrian Hurley
1998-2003: Alan Black
2004: Mike Ellis
2005-08: Scott Fisher
2009: Connor Henry
2010-13: Rob Beveridge
2014-present: Trevor Gleeson

Bendat and Marvin came in either mid-2006, or between 06 and 07.

Reply #624560 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bendat and Marvin came in either mid-2006, or between 06 and 07
Sounds about right.
There maybe some confusion, because Vlahov did not immediately depart, there was some overlap.
I recall at least one season when Marvin was CEO and Vlahov MD. (And pretty Sure Fisher was coach by that point.) (Might have been more than one, I can certainly recall him being around for the games during that period.)

Reply #624580 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Politics aside, it doesn't really matter as Cody signed on with the Hawks this season on a two year deal...

Reply #624867 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Funny they interviewed his Dad during the telecast.

The commentators said theirs is the only family to have 3 generations involved in the NBL.

Mike apparently had a Wildcats hat on, and his wife made him remove it. So I feel he still has a big soft-spot for the Wildcats.
And Cody played for his Dad at Stirling so I'd suspect he wouldn't mind returning to Perth permanently.

If the Wildcats wanted to replace "like for like" he would make a good replacement for the role Redhage has played the last two years.
I don't know if that's their plan?

Reply #629008 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Was it a cats hat he had on??

I had rude people trying to talk to me while i was watching the replay and i missed that part but heard him saying he took the hat off. I just assumed it was a hawks hat.

Fwiw good on him for kitting up in hawks gear. Doubt many REAL cats fans would have any actual issue there for multiple reasons

Reply #629012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. They deserve him. Not a patch on his father.

Reply #629013 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

Yes it was a Cats hat, his wife made him take it off.

And I agree wholeheartedly, no issue whatsoever in him wearing Hawks gear and supporting his son. Frankly I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

Reply #629031 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

But maybe the family could buy Cody a haircut and a shaver?
He looks like a teenager with facial fluff

Reply #629032 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754