egalitarian
Years ago

How are byes accounted for?

What happens in comps where there are an odd number of teams. Over 22 games five teams will play 20 games and four teams only 21. To further complicate matters a team gets one poit for a loss and none for a bye.

Is there any adjustment when configuring positions before the finals?

Topic #4086 | Report this topic

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

The full BASA bylaws are available here.

Of interest is Appendix A2 - Uneven Bye Situations, which states:

2.1 Positions on the ladder will be determined by the ratio of games won over games played.

2.2 Should two or more teams be tied on game winning percentage (2.1) at the conclusion of the regular season, final placings shall be determined by the win / loss ratio in only those games played between the tied teams.

Should there still remain a tie, rankings shall be determined by the difference between the total points scored for and against each team in only those games played between the tied teams.

If teams still remain tied, rankings shall be determined by the points for over the points against percentages for the entire season.

As an asie, it doesn't seem to take into account the fact that a tie should be worth more than a loss.

Reply #47511 | Report this post

Not a Maths Nerd!  
Years ago

Soooo, you are advantaged if you play less games??

Reply #47517 | Report this post

Not really - the team that wins the higher proportion of the games that they play finishes higher. Winning 15/19 is considered better than 15/20, and rightly so.

Of more of an issue is that some teams play more games against tougher opponents, however this issue isn't restricted to comps with an uneven number of byes.

Reply #47523 | Report this post

Not a Maths Nerd!  
Years ago

I don't believe that it is rightly so Ruben - it has come down to the "luck of the draw", and not to a teams ability to win or lose a game of basketball. Take into account your 2nd point, and say the extra game was against the top side which they lost, and they could miss out despite holding the head to head advantage.
I have actually had this scenario come out to my advantage one year (in a 3-way tie-breaker no less for posns 4,5 and 6) - on the tie-breaker we would have missed out.

And finally, I always thought you deserved more minutes with the Blazers.

Reply #47527 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

In our social comp (in Melbourne) - in the case of uneven byes (which happens nearly every year). You get awarded a win, they try to give the extra bye to the lower teams (based on 2 grading games each year), but it dosn't always work out that way (although the 4 teams featuring in finals the season before will never get the extra bye).

I think I actually prefer this system though as it makes you win your games to make the finals/top of the ladder, especially if you are from top four the season before.

Im sure it has happened were a team has made the finals based on that free win/bye but I would say it would be less likely to occur.

Reply #47530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It still works out to be unfair.

Reply #47535 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Of course - any time there is uneven amount of games and there are byes it will be unfair - but at least this gives the so called better teams (higher ranked teams) the oppurtunity to set their destiny :-)

And whilst the lower teams can get a free ride (a free win) there is alot more satisfaction making the finals knowing you did it without a freebie.

Reply #47574 | Report this post

molly meldrum  
Years ago

the draw is all wrong - it should be twice against all others in the comp - one home and one away

it is just a timing thing to keep games going most possible weeks that we end up with odd amount of games

Reply #47586 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Your W/L/D record should be high enough that it doesn't matter about byes.

Don't play the premiership table, cos you may end up on wrong end of a maths sum!

Yoda once told me when i was a cub, "Control of your own destiny, You should seek"

Reply #47599 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

Molly Meldrum
How can it be any other way when there are different numbers of teams in many of the grades? Do you suggest a 10 team grade play 18 games and then finals but a 12 team grade play 22, then finals.
I cannot imagine anyone thinking that was a good draw.

Reply #47612 | Report this post

Not a maths nerd,

Yes, I was ripped of at the Blazers. Hopefully I'll do better with the Magic.

Good point re the unfairness of the win percentage equation, but I think the solution is to not only remove uneven bye situations but to run a system in which all teams play all other teams the same number of times.

Supporter, why not have 10 teams in all grades, and play 9 games in Summer and 27 in Winter?

Reply #47615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because with finals you would need to play double headers

Reply #47625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 team grades (in winter season) - 21 rounds.

Reply #47633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem being the structure was changed when we had 12 clubs vying for division one spots. Now we have 10. The current system is based on a structure of a 12 or 11 team competition when thats simply not possible in Division One anymore.

More proof of the clubs and BASA taking the easy way out, rather then doing to work to get things right.

Reply #47841 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754