Isaac
Years ago

36ers-Hawks Semi-Finals series thread

Figured we'll have individual game threads closer to the day, but there's enough interest for some chatter beforehand.

Hawks looked good smacking Brisbane while Adelaide have been narrowly beaten in four straight, meaningless games.

Will that form be an issue for Adelaide, or do you think they'll regain their best when things matter?

I'd guess that of the other three, Illawarra might not be unhappy about getting Adelaide's HCA given that Cairns have seemingly had their measure and road wins in Perth have been scarce. That's not to say that Adelaide's crowd can't turn games however.

Match-ups to watch? Your tip for the series result?

Topic #40861 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Illawarra probably gave us the most trouble of any team in the Regular season, so will be an interesting series.
Hopefully we get back to playing our best and don't let this great season go to waste.
Can't say I'm not a bit concerned by the last few weeks (even though we didn't have a lot to play for, we still lost 4 games in a row).

Reply #624869 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm tipping Illawarra in an upset.

Reply #624880 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Losing to Cairns on Saturday has given the Sixers their nightmare matchup. The Hawks have kept finding ways to free up their shooters and break games open from beyond the arc.

The Sixers key for the series is to keep Oscar and Clarke quiet from deep. Apart from them, their three point shooters this season are average at best (White and Norton).

I think Hodgson could have a huge influence in this series. He has the size to keep Ogilvy quiet and if his rim defence is good, it will give his team-mates the confidence to defend tightly on the perimeter.

The Hawks will no doubt look to setup their zone and force Randle out of his sweet spots, which they have done very successfully. The Sixers will hopefully show more of the good interior passing they used in the first half against the Taipans and also need to get DJ, Drmic, Sobey and Ferguson 3 point looks they can knock down to open up some cracks for Randle to exploit.

After losing the last 4, I'm not feeling as confident. The Sixers are certainly capable of a series win though. I'm going to hope Joey has setup some new tricks over the past 2 weeks and his team gets home 2-1.

Reply #624886 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

I would not be surprised to see the Hawks take this 2-0.

Reply #624896 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Round 1 ILL 122 beat ADL 88
Round 6 ADL 74 def by ILL 85
Round 14 ADL 117 beat ILL 85
Round 17 ILL 95 beat ADL 92

Hawks won the series 3-1, they will have some confidence knowing they can beat Adelaide and at home.

Reply #624897 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be fair Train those first two games against them were against the 3-6 Sixers team not the same team that then went 14-1 after that and the one time we played the Hawks during those 15 games we flogged them.

The last loss to them was when it became official we had the minor round championship sewn up and no one could catch us, that was right when this four game losing streak started.

So 3 of their 4 games against us they caught us at the 'right' time which gives me more confidence than a 1-3 record against an opponent otherwise would. We play similar styles but we play it better than they do so should be a real battle.

I still think we will win the series 2-1 and given the way we're playing at the moment thank god we have HCA.

Reply #624902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referees
Game 1
Michael Aylen
Matt Townsend
Matt Beattie
(Durant reserve)

Game 2
Vaughan Mayberry
Michael Aylen
Matt Townsend
Matt Beattie

(1 of Townsend and Beattie to be reserve)

Reply #624905 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

thank you anon. good to know

Reply #624910 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Beantown with the great summary. I'm nervous.

Reply #625154 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Adelaide to get swept for me. Been impressed with the way the Hawks have been playing and on the flip side Adelaide have folded like a cheap suit at the business end of the season.

Reply #625185 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Loco! I think all Sixers fans are nervous after the last 4 games. I hope we capitalise on a good season, but if we don't, I remind myself of where expectations were at the start of the season! We have definitely exceeded expectations and there is plenty of room for growth next year!

Reply #625221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers fans trying to reverse jinx themselves in this thread.

Reply #625222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754