Isaac
Years ago

Best Sixth Man: Rotnei Clarke

Began poorly as a starter but was almost instantly effective from the bench. The only bench player in the MVP voting top five. Or even in the town all-NBL teams?

Topic #40870 | Report this topic

Wookiee  
Years ago

The best example of taking one for the greater good... No ego, just took the slump as a challenge to work harder... Very much well deserved...

Reply #625150 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

And when the slump is over he should of been back starting. Why do you think T.Craig left the Taipans? You wont see Rotnei again for the Hawks.

Reply #625157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Not even next year when he's still under contract?

Reply #625167 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Had money on him for MVP at the start of the season

I was closish lol

Reply #625183 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

Thunder Jam i can assure you Rotnei will be back next year cause he is a man of his word.He signed for 2 years and he will be here for the 2 years.He's playing about 28 min a game so starting or coming of the bench he plays the same minutes.He comes on after 5 minutes then plays all but about 7 minutes of game time remaining which is better for him.

Reply #625220 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

As I seem to say most years, this is often a weird award.
Clarke is a good player, I think I might have had him in my 1st 5??
But calling him a 6th Man is a joke. He plays more than anybody else on his team.
(Cue post from Kober to spell out the meaning of 6th Man.)

Reply #625263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Elephant fortitude get upon aftershock nectarine, small fourteen apartment ran eclectic. Rise delightful loquacious dive mutters open.

Reply #625337 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

koberulz, I'm worried you're trying to trigger a sleeper agent here.

On topic, I thought Rotnei was really impressive once he got going. Doesn't give up, superb handles and finds ways to score. Wouldn't have been surprised if he had somehow given Randle a run for MVP given the absence of competition from teammates.

Reply #625373 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

koberulz, I'm worried you're trying to trigger a sleeper agent here.
I was quite clearly explaining to Dazz what the definition of a 6th man is, not sure what you're talking about?

Maybe the confusion is a result of me using words to mean whatever the hell I want them to mean, instead of using them to mean what they actually mean, but as Dazz seems to be a proponent of that sort of thing I'm sure he understood.

Reply #625551 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

!

AGENT 4KZ ACTIVATED. DEATH TO HUMANS. DEATH TO HUMANS.

Reply #625560 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

I posted this in the awards forum but I don't think it was ever answered.

Clarke is the only instance I can think of where arguably the teams best player came of the bench.

Kevin McHale was probably the 2nd best player on the Celtics team but well behind Larry Bird when McHale won NBA 6th man awards.

Anyone think of anyone who was a teams best player not starting for an extended period.

Got to give it to Bevo for thinking outside the box.

Reply #625561 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't know why people get so hung up on "starting"?

Typically, your "starters" are your 5 best players, in each role, and that's why they start.
I haven't watched enough of the Hawks to understand why Bevo does it this way, but Clarke plays the most minutes of any player.
There could be a very good reason for his strategy. Some coaches like to play certain combos together, and/or go with entirely differed strategies when their "B team" is on the floor.

Reply #625573 | Report this post

Eastside LB  
Years ago

I don't see anyone here "hung up on" starting. Actually it seems to only be you who is making an issue out of this. Coming off the bench is working for Rotnei so well done to him and also to Bevo.

Reply #625576 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't know why people get so hung up on "starting"?
In a discussion of a sixth man award, it's highly relevant.

Indeed, the award exists precisely to acknowledge that being a better player and starting don't necessarily go together. If you limited it to 'bench-quality' players it would defeat the entire purpose.

Clarke has sacrificed a starting spot for much of the season, and the award recognises that this does not make him an inferior player.

Reply #625584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe for contributing nothing.

Reply #625585 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually it seems to only be you who is making an issue out of this.

Scroll up ONE post:
Clarke is the only instance I can think of where arguably the teams best player came of the bench.

Anyone think of anyone who was a teams best player not starting for an extended period.

Surely it's not that hard to use your brain? Give it a try, you might even enjoy it.

Reply #625590 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Thanks Kobe for contributing nothing
Careful, you're giving away ALL his secrets.

Reply #625591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fstos' quality question continues to get buried by the 'tards above..

Reply #625634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kevin McHale was probably the 2nd best player on the Celtics team but well behind Larry Bird when McHale won NBA 6th man awards.

Anyone think of anyone who was a teams best player not starting for an extended period. "

The only other player I can think of was Milwaukee's Ricky Pierce in 1990. Averaged 23 ppg without starting a single one.

"Got to give it to Bevo for thinking outside the box."

What did it achieve though? He won an individual award - did it come at the expense of team success?

Reply #625643 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Rotnie's for after coming off the bench was far better than his stating form. I think the team performed better as well after that time. Was that just co-incidence...we will never know.

Just a very unusual move by Bevo, but one that seamed to work. So it achieved more than the award IMO.

Reply #625646 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:37 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754