Isaac
Years ago

Anthony Drmic wins Rookie of the Year

Recovered from a woeful shooting start to gain confidence and provide well off the 36ers bench. Might be vital in the Hawks SF series.

Anyone have someone else picked? Was Delaney an option?

Topic #40871 | Report this topic

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If he did qualify for ROY, Delany wouldn't have been close.

Good job by Drmic.

Reply #625105 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I have been watching Drmic off the ball the last few games. He does an amazing amount of work. I have been impressed by his basketball IQ. Just makes great position spacing the floor, cutting at great times (usually not rewarded), finding paths to contest the boards. His defence is also very good.

The only thing he has struggled with is the one thing he came into the league with big wraps on - his shooting. He is clearly a confidence shooter though and I have no doubt that confidence will grow over time. His floor is a Greg Hire career, his ceiling? Who knows.

Reply #625119 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I have been impressed with his rebounding too, now if only those foul shots would drop.

Reply #625122 | Report this post

Works hard even when he's struggling with his shot. Absolute shit stirrer, every team needs one. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes a long way next season.

Reply #625133 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

McCarron deserved this award by a stretch.

Reply #625156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers nominated Shea Ili as their rookie

Reply #625163 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Was McCarron eligible after playing LEB Gold in Spain last year? He does seem to have had the better season if he was eligible.

Reply #625166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron wasn't eligible. They said it in the broadcast of the Taipans Wildcats game a few weeks back. His pro season makes him ineligible.

Reply #625176 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Drmic was the only player eligible. Maybe not, but this has to be the weakest rookie class since 1979. The guy may have some upside, and possibly a great career, but he's done bugger all to win RoTY.

Reply #625225 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

RotY has been a thin award for a number of years. Look back through the last 7 or 8 years and see how many rookies other than the winner you can name from those years.

2009/2010 I remember Wagstaff vs Coenraad being hotly debated.

2007/2008 we had Jawai versus the controversial inclusion of Alex Loughton (who had played half a season of spanish league)

2012/2013 it was just a matter of which Cairns rookie would get it Gliddon or Steindl

With more pathways open it is less common to see a rookie come straight to NBL like Joe Ingles or Nathan Jawai and have a dominant season.

Reply #625242 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Again another obvious choice. Well Done to the young Man.

Reply #625262 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Even though no one had a huge rookie year, long term I don't think this is a weak rookie class.

I think a number of Drmic, Majok Deng, Izzy Tueta, Shea Ili, Finn Delany, Mason Bragg, Will McDowell-White, Craig Moller, Matt Kenyon, Dexter Kernich-Drew and Kyle Adnam will have solid to very good pro careers.

Reply #625295 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't believe Mason Bragg and Kyle Adnam were rookies, I think you have to be rostered to count.

If not, Adnam played last year so he's out regardless.

Reply #625338 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Weakest since 1979? I remember the year Travis Lane won being considered thin. Did he even play more than a year or so after winning that?

Reply #625367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754