cats 4 life
Years ago

Gleeson - 3 out of 4 grand finals

3 out of 4 grand finals! Flog no flog his done Perth proud!

Topic #40921 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money and Bevo's system behind him.

Reply #627317 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Gleeson is a master coach!!

Reply #627319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His polo shirt is two sizes too big #manboobs #beergut

Reply #627320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His polo shirt is two sizes too SMALL #manboobs #beergut

Reply #627321 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Bevo is old news...Gleeson will undoubtably be one of this leagues best coaches.

Reply #627322 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Coaches sometimes get too much credit for wins

Reply #627323 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Bevo's system....haha! Trev's won 2 grandy's and challenging for a 3rd...it's HIS system. Money or no money, he's done what no one else has done in Perth. Full credit and respect to the man.

Reply #627324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight & Martin are the spine of the original Bevo Razorbacks who came with him to Perth. How easy we forget.

Reply #627325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of you started following NBL yesterday.

Reply #627327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't always love him or agree with him, but you can't deny the man does know how to have success

Reply #627328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Coaches sometimes get too much credit for wins"

Exactly. But let's forget the fact not every coach has the same resources behind them or stable system in place when they got there.

Reply #627329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot would know success if they landed the Perth job. lol

Reply #627330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Coaches sometimes get too much credit for wins"

and sometimes not enough...

Reply #627331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won nothing in Townsville or Melbourne. Goorjian won everywhere. Joey too soon

Reply #627332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and when Goorj and Joey took over teams they stunk and had to work from the bottom

Reply #627333 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Like him or hate him, he has delivered! On the brink of a 3rd tittle in 4 years.

Reply #627337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2/4 is 50%

Reply #627338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmhh Gleeson never missed the played in Townsville with shitty teams and NO money......

Reply #627339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmhh Gleeson never missed the playoffs in Townsville with shitty teams and NO money......

Reply #627340 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

As a Perth fan I don't necessarily rate Gleeson, and tbh was bailed out with cotton acquisition.

Reply #627341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ bingo

Reply #627342 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Look, he might not be an elite tactician, he might carry on like a pork chop, and he may have had some lucky breaks

Reply #627343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but he's no Goorjian. If he lost the Utd game Cats nation would be calling for his head now he's the second coming.

Reply #627344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as a Perth fan I've always hated him.

I think the Wildcats players leadership team is the biggest reason for the success. They set the tone defensively and maintain the physicality that everyone hates.

The offence always seems to be give it to this guy and let him do something. if he doesn't they're doomed. thankfully we've had the likes of Ennis, Cotton and Prather to get them through.

Reply #627346 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I recall saying a number of weeks ago that if Perth made the playoffs they would be close to favourites - because you just can't ignore their championship pedigree and the fact of their stellar home record. ala you have to respect them in the same vein as when the Spurs make the playoffs.

The response I generally got was that Perth were junk and would be swept by the Taipans.

They are still my favourites to win the championship (as much as it pains me to say that).

Reply #627349 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's quite possible that everyone is right. He carries on like an idiot, has loads of money behind him and inherited Bevo's core, but 3/4 GFs is solid no matter what. Still had to recruit around that core and balance imports year by year.

Reply #627353 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I can see NBL doing backflips if Perth get to host game 1 ,3 and 5,so all that needs to happen now is for the Hawks to get up on Thursday for that to happen and by the way Gleeson is a f/head.

Reply #627356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd still be the last guy I'd invite around for a bbq.

Reply #627359 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

WEll done Perth in letting Bevo go. Gleeson has won 2 championship bring on 3

Reply #627360 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

Well done Trev, great respect for a top guy. Well liked by his players.

Reply #627363 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Let's go wildcats, well done Trevor our champion coach.

Reply #627364 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

All of you that still bag him and don't rate him as a coach or think his success has anything to do with anything else but the fact that he's a brilliant coach are idiots. Better yet, flogs. He's done what no other coach has done in Oerth, including the ranger Bevo. I'd love to have him over for a BBQ!

Reply #627369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could win with the resources the Wildcats have provided him. He has simply been in the right place at the right time. The team has done great this past 3/4 years but anyone could've 'mangaed' the likes of ennis beastmode Martin Prather cotton etc etc as for his persona, complete annoying jerk. Again a lot of coaches could've had the same success, product of great timing.

Reply #627371 | Report this post

Wildcats80  
Years ago

Anon, hater comes out on show. What about nelbourneca d Sydney?? They had loaded teams yet didn't make the playoffs. Are you suggesting anyone would have got then a championship with their loaded side. He's guided Perth to the grand final after missing Martin for 11 games this year, import changes. He brought in Prather, Neal, cotton, this business of rob beveridge has a lot to do with the current success is old now, he left 4 years ago.

When you look at the cats, there's probably 4 other teams with deeper benches so when people say Perth are loaded, they aren't as loaded as you think.

Reply #627373 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Like him or hate him, he is clearly doing his job pretty well.

Reply #627376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I'm saying plenty of coaches could've won with the team he has offered to him. I'm not hating for the sake of it but he isn't some super coach, right coach at the right time for that core is my point. Good luck to him. If someone is going to start a thread like this expect it to have varied opinions, and don't be naive enough to get it always twisted with hate.

Reply #627377 | Report this post

Alan  
Years ago

Anon, we know you are a Bevo fan, move on Gleeson has won 2 championships and in the grand final again, and loved by the wildcats fans.

Reply #627378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not a bevo fan. Glad he is loved that's nice

Reply #627381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doc Hurley was the best Wildcats coach of all time. Shout out to Adrian.

Reply #627382 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gleeson rubs many people up the wrong way, but he has proven over a long period of time he is a very good coach. Only one season missing the playoffs in how long?

He came into Perth and was smart, he gave the players responsibility, particularly at the defensive end and they chose to keep a lot of what Bevo taught them.

That's just smart, using the knowledge of experienced players and a very good coach.

Sure, he's had great backing, but as Melbourne and Sydney show year after year, it takes more than that to succeed.

The records of Lemanis, Beveridge, Wright and Gleeson over a long period show they deserve to be ranked very highly as coaches. Similar with Fearne and McLeod working with small budgets.

Reply #627391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has got the results so obviously has good knowledge and man management, I'd say both assistant coaches are very good as well, Kings might have been better trying to get Nielson back.

Reply #627399 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

It's laughable that anyone thinks Gleeson isn't a very good coach.

If Adelaide get through, i'm concerned about their ability to handle their unbelievable defence.

Reply #627404 | Report this post

Weirdkid  
Years ago

As much as I can't stand him and the cats you don't make the 3/4 grand finals based on luck.

Reply #627425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its peculiar how posters are quick to point out Gaze and DD's failings but then claim Gleeson only succeeds because he has a good squad. Seems to me you need both.

Plus I seem to remember reading that it was him who had been scouting Cotton for years?

Reply #627471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo's system??? hahahaha, bevo's system is much different to the way the cats have played under Gleeson.

Reply #627498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, well Gleeson's system is a poor man's Bevo's system which was a poor man's Goorjian system.

Reply #627505 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson is a flog!!

Reply #627526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trevs superior coaching will be tested if knight gets suspended for the dog act. Dumb play especially considering his issues with head high contact!

Reply #627528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a dumb thing to do but it is not even close to being worthy of a suspension.

Reply #627531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it not worthy? Let me guess - because you are a Perth fan!

Reply #627541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because bouncing a ball on someone's face while not even letting go of it is far from dangerous. Why do you think it is? Let me guess - because you're an idiot?

Reply #627557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Bevo's system??? hahahaha, bevo's system is much different to the way the cats have played under Gleeson."

At the defensive end, no, they haven't moved far from what Bevo did, why would they when they were/are the best defensive team.

At the offensive end, yes, Trev brought in his flex-based offence, but some of what they're running at the moment is quite similar to Bevo's offence to create spacing for on-balls, rather than being post-centred.

Reply #627562 | Report this post

PH  
Years ago

I don't understand how this can be "Bevo's system"

Gleeson has had 4 years, and we're saying he's done nothing but tell the guys "keep doing what you were doing under Bevo"? Truly?

Plus how exactly have Cotton, Prather, etc, learned from Bevo?

Reply #627579 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They've kept a lot of what Beveridge did defensively. Gleeson gave the players ownership to decide a lot of this stuff when he first came in and they stuck with what works.

Reply #627582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at following a team but the concept that the play has stayed the same completely goes over their heads.

Reply #627583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or are these newbie one season members?

Reply #627585 | Report this post

Alan  
Years ago

Anon, funny how Bevo had all these great players and only won one championship, proves Gleeson is a better coach with 2 championships.

Reply #627593 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bevo lost Redhage for one playoff run, and Damo for one grand final.

Reply #627596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes kobe good point. Funny that

Reply #627597 | Report this post

Alan  
Years ago

Bevo coached Perth for 4 years with one championship, that's why he didn't get the boomers job he was not good enough.

Reply #627602 | Report this post

Alan  
Years ago

Kobe, every one has injuries there 10 players not just one player on a team.

Reply #627605 | Report this post

Alan  
Years ago

Kobe, every one has injuries there 10 players not just one player on a team.

Reply #627606 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

If bevo had the imports that glesson has had he would have won at least one more championship

Reply #627628 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

Dear Bol
That says more about Bevo's lack of coaching ability if he couldnt get good imports. He had access to the same money that Gleeson does.

Reply #627826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know how much money was available, Baller?

Reply #627830 | Report this post

Pointybits  
Years ago

Gleeson's behaviour on the bench is deplorable. His constant challenges to Referees is endless and calling them out as "Your Lying" is an example of his exceptionally poor behaviour. Basketball has long advertised itself as the Family Sport, Gleeson does nothing to enhance this wishful thinking. Oh dear he has no smile either the poor boy.

Reply #627886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754