Anonymous
Years ago

Should there be an u14 ajc?

I've noticed alot of countries now have an u14 tournament to go along with there u16, u18 and u20s to help identify and develop kids earlier.

I know we have the u14 club Champs, but that does not necessarily bring all the best talent together.

Should there be a u14 state champs in Australia?
Maybe moving club champs to u12...

Topic #40939 | Report this topic

Years ago

there is - southern cross challenge - and correctly a development tournament for those at that level

Reply #628276 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I don't think that would be a good idea.

Personally I don't believe they should even have U/14 National Clubs as players at that age have not fully developed and there is pressure being put on them and also the event has grown to 24 teams participating now and why do teams that finished 12th and 13th in the country get medals when the 9 teams before them get nothing.

BNSW held a forum towards the end of last year and Michael Haynes presented a very good paper on looking to get rid of U/12 Competitions and running Skills camps over 4 weekends for the kids to learn to play the game properly by developing their skills and playing some friendly games on the weekend as well and being mixed into Country and Metro mixed teams.

NSW Country run this type of thing under the name of Jamboree and it is very successful and the kids have fun.

Reply #628341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I'd like to see an u14 state champs.
The 12 and 13 year old talent was pretty amazing at this years scc and acjbc.
U20s Feb, u18 April, u16 July, u14 (around sept-oct)

Still with the same development tournaments earlier in the year.

Reply #628357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #628421 | Report this post

No way, there already is enough pressure on young talented kids from their parents, this will just make it worse. The big risk already is that talented kids quit because of parental pressure; don't make it worse. Let them be kids.

Reply #628776 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754