Anonymous
Years ago

M. Morris fined $25k for throwing ball at official

"NEW YORK -- Washington Wizards forward Markieff Morris has been fined $25,000 by the NBA for throwing a basketball at an official and into the seats during a game.

The league announced the penalty Tuesday.

Morris received a technical foul and was ejected for throwing the ball right after fouling out with approximately seven minutes left in Washington's 102-92 loss to the visiting Utah Jazz on Sunday."

I haven't seen the footage. But interesting contrast in terms of severity of penalty relative to Tony Mitchell getting a full-year ban.

Topic #40978 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Yep.

NBL is a joke.

Steph Curry tossed his mouthguard in the finals last year and hit a fan FFS!!

Reply #629198 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

And Ron Artest was suspended for the REMAINDER of the season for brawling with fans in the stands.

NBL was clearly too heavy handed

Reply #629211 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

There again, it is a question of handling/minimizing risk.

After all how many NBA players would ever actually get so many bad calls from an NBA crew in any game that they would seriously consider throwing the ball at a ref ?

As compared to a reasonably realistic estimate of how many time in one game would a NBL player who knew the rules want to smack a ref with a ball in the NBL ?

so proprotionally

Markieff Morris contract
2016-17: $7,400,000
2017-18: $8,000,000
2018-19: $8,600,000

penalty
1) $25,000 ( or .33% of that years gross income)
2) no suspension

Tony Mitchell

penalty
1) full NBL season suspension
2) 100% of any possible FIBA sanctioned contract for next year.

basically trying to make the guy unemplyed for the next 12 months.

Reply #629216 | Report this post

Brutal Game  
Years ago

AC: Artest's suspension equated to more than 70 games.

Reply #629256 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

"AC: Artest's suspension equated to more than 70 games."

Thanks for correcting me, I should've just looked it up!

Reply #629287 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

"I haven't seen the footage."

I have. He flipped it underhand from near the middle of the court in the general direction of the ref on the sideline, it bounced near the ref's feet and into the stands. Per NBA rules, if a player throws the ball into the stands - no matter how hard - it's a tech and an ejection.

Reply #629348 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^^^ Figured it was something like that.

Reply #629469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:29 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754