Isaac
Years ago

Broken hand nixes Creek's chance with Utah Jazz

The NBA's Utah Jazz were seeking the rights to the 36ers captain with the view to most likely suiting him in its D-League affiliate to monitor his progress.

"I think having Aussies Joe Ingles and Dante Exum at Utah made them a bit more open to the idea of trying out Mitch," said Jye Watson of Mogul Sports Group, which acts for both Creek and Sobey.

“Whether that may have led to a 10-day (NBA) contract possibly, we don’t know.”

Thanks to the broken hand we will never know.
Full story

Wow. Would've been a great opportunity for him. I think Joe Ingles shows that the gap between strong Australian/NBL player and NBA contributor isn't outrageous. Even if he just got the chance to workout at that level, it would be a great experience.

Topic #40991 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

This was probably the real benefit of the Ferguson signing, it stuck so many 36ers/other NBL players under the noses of the NBA scouts. I wouldn't be surprised if Sobey & Creek get NBA Summer League invites and wouldn't even be shocked if DJ got a look in too, being a quality stretch 4 they might want to have a look at him within a rough NBA environment.

On Creek I never in a million years would've considered Ingles much of a chance of making an NBA roster too slow, not athletic, not a great shot, good enough defender but he finally got a shot and grabbed it with both hands and has flourished to the point of even having a couple of 20 point games in the NBA.

It's all about opportunity and you never really know which players will sink or swim and I think Creek could not only play in the NBA but be a decent bench contributor for the Jazz or another team. Whether that opportunity comes up again or not is a different story.

Reply #629722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac - Ingles not a great shot????

Reply #629727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He does now, but wasn't known for that

Reply #629728 | Report this post

This reminds of when the Sixers offered Ingles a contract with his name misspelled, except this time it was probably Creek who wrote his own name wrong.

Reply #629775 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I didn't see much of Ingles in Europe, but I definitely did not think of him as a consistent 3pt shooter until the NBA... shows the amount of hardwork he has obviously put in.

Reply #629780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this legit? Or is it just Boti trolling?

I think Creek is one of the best local SFs in the NBL. But he's shaded by most imports.

Reply #629799 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Playing D league is nothing at present..Look at the duds we've sent back packing in the NBL from there.

Reply #629807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I didn't see much of Ingles in Europe, but I definitely did not think of him as a consistent 3pt shooter until the NBA... shows the amount of hardwork he has obviously put in."

Shows what your thoughts are worth.

Reply #629810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, if you know anything about basketball, you'd know that there are different roles, and some players are better at certain things than others. For example, if the Jazz need a solid experienced 3, Mitch is a better option than Randle.

And to the anon that said D-League was shit. You're lack of knowledge is crazy.

Reply #629835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference between the D-league and the Nbl or even europe for that matter is literally salary. The standard is just as good or better in the d-league than around the world but players have less earning capacity but more chance to be seen by NBA teams, also being close to their families. Send a team of D-league allstars out to Australia on a preseason tour and they'd tear anyone apart.

Reply #629869 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"The difference between the D-league and the Nbl or even europe for that matter is literally salary. The standard is just as good or better in the d-league than around the world but players have less earning capacity but more chance to be seen by NBA teams, also being close to their families. Send a team of D-league allstars out to Australia on a preseason tour and they'd tear anyone apart.
"

Players who've been All Stars in the D League have come here and struggled. As for 'standard', to what standard do you refer, the standard of the players, or the standard of play? I hardly think the standard of play in the D League approaches NBL level. They play All Star game level defense, rarely share the ball, and everyone is there to outdo their teammates and get that contract.

You might also remember Andre Ingham, who was the all time 3 point leader in D League and managed to survive in the league for 8 years. He came to the NBL and was completely and comprehensively embarrassed for his one trick game. Obviously no one in the D League had bothered to scout him closely enough to take away his three point shot.

Jaron Johnson was also a pretty big deal in the D League. He was an adequate NBL player, but hardly blew the competition away.

D League is not a better league than the NBL, despite the fact that it may have some better players. And it is certainly not better, or as good, as Euroleague or Eurocup.

Reply #629873 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I don't follow the debate over the D league? I think the only reason an NBA team brings a player into the D-League is to groom them for the NBA - how does that apply to Creek? Whether he would be awesome in the D-league only matters if it gets him a 10-day contract.

Reply #629877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His agent posted on FB that he's been offered a contract. Does that mean he's going or just that had he not hurt his hand he would have had a spot?

Reply #630090 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754