Anonymous
Years ago

New Boomers squad

I heard the new Boomers squad emails have started to circulate. Any heard anything? Who should be on it.

Topic #41029 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to see Thon Maker, Jonah Bolden, Deng Adel,
JO Acuil included to the new boomers squad.
Motum, bairstow, goulding and Martin are not good enough.

Reply #630480 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Motum played well in Rio and is starring in Europe!

Reply #630485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow is a brilliant player will walk right in to squad

Reply #630488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the opals squad also?

We have a real problem at the pg spot.

Reply #630489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell, Whitcomb, jarry, ohea, Allen, George all in WNBA and many players playing overseas will mean a super young squad from home will be chosen. Maybe some college players too.

Reply #630491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum and bairstow are too slow and lack
athleticism. If the boomers want to
Play at a higher level, they should draft in
players with higher upsides, such as bolden and Jo Acuil and Adel.

Reply #630492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My boomers squad would be

Delly/ exum
mills / ingles
Adel / bolden / duop reath
simmons / deng gak
Maker / jo acuil / humphries

Reply #630493 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Kristy Wallace. Killing it at Baylor.

Reply #630494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These girls will get a look in.
Maybe not in the short term though.

5'11 CG Wallace
5'11 SG Brewster
6'1 SF Sharp
6'3 PF Froling
6'4 PF/C Smith

Reply #630495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thread was about the Boomers.

Opals fans of 18 year olds not good enough to be on the team, trying to hijack it like its international women's day or something... get your own thread.

Reply #630497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good one anon 497. This person has become a pest with his/her ridiculous opals suggestions lately.

Reply #630501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep your politics out of it weirdo.

Reply #630503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly/Exum
Mills/Goulding/Sobey
Simmons/Adel
Maker/Bolden/Cooks
Landale/Gak

Reply #630504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh crap.

Forgot broekhoff... he replaces one of goulding or sobey.

Reply #630507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Revised..

Delly/Exum
Mills/Ingles
Simmons/Broekhoff/Adel
Maker/Bolden/Cooks
Landale/Gak

Reply #630508 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Lol anon, the boomers aren't going to pick based on upside, they will take the best players at the time of selection.

Reply #630513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The people saying Gak, Landale an alike, yes they are very good and in the future may be great international level players, but right now they are not even close to being ready for the upcoming International qualifiers etc.
I'd assume many if the people posting know the names, but have not even seen them play. Playing high school and college in America against kids the same age is very different to national team men from other countries

Reply #630514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal, gaze, Mckinnon, Ronaldson were around
19, 20 when they started playing for Australia.
THE likes of Bolden, Adel, Maker, Humphries, Acuil
are ready to play for the boomers.

Reply #630515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asian cup in late august.

College kids start in early September.
Unlikely to have college dudes.

NBA season is October to June.
Unlikely to have Simmons or bogut...

Some NBA and home grown players should be available.
Maybe...
Delly/Exum
Mills/Goulding/Sobey
Ingles/Broekhoff
Maker/Bairstow/Motum
Baynes/Ogilvy

Reply #630516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this person who keeps saying Brewster......have you seen the conference Utah play in, its crap, she would be having a great productive college career in that team, very little strength at all, same as Froling( the one that stayed at SMU, but both Frolings plus Sharp Smith and Wallace will always get a consideration, like all ex AIS players they are already on the"list"

The reality is the next Olympics is still a long way off, and depending on just who ends up coaching either team, the roster will have plenty of changes in that lead up.

Reply #630518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm aware that Utah state is in a shitty conference.
We will see in time.... but Imo she has potential.
Just a sophomore don't forget.

Reply #630520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Creek far down the list of 3 men?

Reply #630521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is way off if you include college players.

Reply #630522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #630514, read the question, it's about the players' ceiling not what they are capable of right now...

Reply #630529 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Creek is ahead of most college players in his position right now in my opinion. Not sure that Sobey is there yet but the Asian Cup might be a good chance to see where he's at.

Reply #630533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hold on, so you're saying creek isn't as good as these college kids right now? Wow, please watch basketball more!! Creek is on the cusp of NBA weather you believe it or not. He has options on the table, which I know of first hand.

Reply #630554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing against men, is a totally different environment. Look at McDowell-White as an example.

Reply #630557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Creek will be seriously in the discussion for our best 12 by the time the 2019 WC comes around. He can pretty much do it all and will be an important player during qualifying.

Reply #630565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON:

Theres no way in the world they'll have 9 black guys on the national team.

Sorry thats not happening

Reply #630569 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

"ANON:

Theres no way in the world they'll have 9 black guys on the national team.

Sorry thats not happening"

You're right, they'll need at least a token Christian Laettner..

Reply #630570 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

I read recently that Torrey Craig is thinking of becoming an Aust resident/citizen. Would he make the team for Japan 2020.

Reply #630571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Theres no way in the world they'll have 9 black guys on the national team. " ~ anon

Why not ? Black players are the best basketball players in the world. Just look at the nba, which is made up of 90% black players! Black players also provide australia athleticism we never had before. For a change they can jump and move faster.

The only reason you dont like them is because you are racist. You pick your best team regardless of skin colour. If your best team is made up of 12 black players, so be it.

I would welcome black players joining the boomers
with open arms.

I am sick of the sight unathletic guys like motum and bairstow moving and jumping like 50 year olds,

Reply #630573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot up, give me a Bolden or Adel before creek any time !

Reply #630574 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Experience is what wins in senior International tournaments.

No way in the world will Lemanis pass on these players:

Delly
Mills
Maker
Baynes
Ingles
Motum
Broekhoff
Simmons
Bairstow

Count the above in as locks, unless injuries occur.

A lot of the kids named in the above posts will likely be ready after 2020

Reply #630576 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

This thread appears to have gone in a bad direction.

Anyway, in reply to anon above, Bolden and Adel certainly have the potential to be better than Creek, but for international basketball right now I'd say Creek would be more valuable.

In saying that, he has a few other experienced players ahead of him too.

Reply #630578 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Exciting times ahead with the number of quality young guys pushing for not many spots in the team.
The paint is looking a little sad with Andersen & Bogut gone, but elsewhere we're looking pretty strong now and into the future.

Reply #630579 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Is it racist to call white players "unathletic" in such a disparaging fashion?

I think Motum and Bairstow are both elite players and saying they're "unathletic" is quite frankly ridiculous. They may be less athletic than some but doesn't mean they aren't quality players and elite athletes.

I've seen players at all levels described as "great athletes" who can't play team basketball at all. This isn't specifically targetted at any player mentioned in this thread, just my experience

Reply #630582 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Larry Bird....so unathletic. How did he ever get a game?

Reply #630583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duke fan, for every unagile larry bird, there are 50 athletic players like michael jordan, isiah thomas, shawn kemp, alen iverson and penny hardaway.
The nba is 95% made up of athletic and explosive players.

Reply #630588 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Hahahaha ok mate. NFI

Reply #630589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

duke fan, motum and bairstow are not even good enough for the nba d league. They is a reason why they could not make it into an nba team, thet are simply not good enough!

Young guys like Bolden, humphries and Adel will most likely make it in a nba team.

Reply #630590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie, Exum should be a lock for the team as well

Reply #630591 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Aussie, Exum should be a lock for the team as well"

Oops forgot Exum, pencil him in for sure

Reply #630592 | Report this post

Bairstow was in the NBA for 2 seasons.

Reply #630593 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"duke fan, motum and bairstow are not even good enough for the nba d league. They is a reason why they could not make it into an nba team, thet are simply not good enough!

Young guys like Bolden, humphries and Adel will most likely make it in a nba team."

What has being an NBA player got to do with playing for your country?

It certainly isn't a criteria.

It's about experience and who performs on the international stage.

Bairstow and Motum were great contributors for the Boomers at Rio.

Reply #630594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, 2 years sitting at the end of a nba
team bench and basically got DNP~CD every match.

Reply #630595 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Let me give another example.

If we had a 19 year old with the equivalent skill set to Terrance Furgeson (who will be a 1st round NBA Draft pick) would you honestly take him over Ryan Broekhoff?

Answer that one honestly

Reply #630596 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

* Ferguson

Reply #630597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie, I would pick Ferguson ahead Broekhoff.
We have already picked teenagers like exum and simmons.

Gaze, heal, Mckinnon, Vlahov were only 19 when
they started their international careers

Reply #630600 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Aussie, I would pick Ferguson ahead Broekhoff.
We have already picked teenagers like exum and simmons.

Gaze, heal, Mckinnon, Vlahov were only 19 when
they started their international careers"

Granted the Worlds and Olympics are 3 and 4 years away but choosing Ferguson is going on potential, nothing else.

Broekhoff is easily the better player at this stage

Reply #630601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie, some nba coaches play youths more minutes than established veterans. For example, Brandon Ingram is only 18 but is playing more minutes for the Lakersthan established vet nick young.

Reply #630606 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Yes but the Lakers are building for the future.

The international stage is not a development pathway. All teams have the goal of winning right now, particularly for Australia who finished 4th at Rio.

Young players can develop in their own leagues and WHEN and IF they are good enough in the future, they will represent their country

Reply #630608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FIBA Asia Cup soon, about time we were in a better confederation and finally get to rip Asia a new one!

Reply #630611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aussie, we are going to play asian teams. We would still beat them convincingly with 3 or 4 young rookies plus the veterans.

There is harm to play them against weaker opponents so they gain more experience.

Reply #630615 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People seem to think athleticism and being black trumps experience, but it does not. Not by a long shot.

Those 'slow, 50 year old' white guys are what took us to within inches of history for Australian basketball, while those be-all and end-all black fellas were in college, playing against kids who can't even drink a beer yet.

When you're talking about major tournaments, you go for experienced heads for the most part. You go for guys who have been there, done that, have played with big game pressure, and have proven themselves. You don't go with kids because they look the part.

When Vlahov and MacKinnon came in, we were underdone as a team. There weren't too many other options to go with. Adrian Hurley took a punt, and it paid off.

Now, we have the deepest squad we've had in history. We have the most meaningful NBA experience we've ever had. We've got guys who'd put anyone in the 1988 team to shame. So why exactly would we be grabbing a bunch of teens for any major tournament in the near future?

But luckily, the FIBA Asia Cup isn't all that major. The competition is going to be considerably weak, with our only likely issues coming out of New Zealand and China. This is the one tournament where blooding some young guns actually makes sense. Australia could bring 5-6 veterans, 5-6 college kids, and likely still win the whole tournament.

But I think the most important task of this Asia Cup is to get Maker in the green and gold uniform. Everything else is a bonus.

Reply #630623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, agree. Maker has to be picked for the next boomers squad.

I would also draft in Adel and Bolden, who will be main players for us for the next decade.

Reply #630627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Aussie when it comes to the Olympics or World Cup but we would definitely benefit from running youngsters in less important ganes and against weaker teams.

Reply #630652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such little understanding about the level of basketball! Deng Gak wouldn't even be as good as Nick Kay in the NBL right now! You can pick these future prospects now for qualifying! You have to pick the best team! Deng Adel is doing very well in college, but international hoops is different. The only one who may have a shot of that group would be Bolden as he is already playing pro.

Reply #630659 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We'll likely have no choice anyway, since I doubt our full team is going to be available very often.

Reply #630660 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

FIBA Asia Cup has nothing to do with world cup or Olympic qualifications so you can send whoever you want.

Of course we want to win it all, but for all intents and purposes it is a meaningless tournament.

Reply #630670 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Gaze, heal, Mckinnon, Vlahov were only 19 when

This argument is pulled out way too often. The depth of talent in Australian basketball was totally different back then. If you want a more recent example about the impact of including inexperienced 18-19 year olds with big upsides in major tournaments, look at Exum's performance in the Worlds. Simmons, even if officially available, would have had a similar minimal impact.

Major tournaments are for your best players at that time.

I see an argument to include young guys that are forecast, or possibles, to make future major tournaments to be included in the qualifiers and the Asian cup. We need players to have familiarity with each other and the system. We need chemistry that comes from years of playing together and in the same system. And in the case of players like Maker, we need them to commit to the national team.

Just to shut-up people here who don't understand the value of experience and chemistry, I would love to see our automatic-selection core experienced unit:

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Broekhoff
Baynes
Motum
Bairstow

Matchup against the kind of inexperienced names that have been mentioned in this thread.

Adel
Bolden
Duop Reath
Deng Gak
Jo Acuil
Humphries
Exum
Simmons
Maker

I'd include Exum, Simmons and Maker in this unit just so that they are not absolutely annihilated.

Reply #630671 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

rjd, I agree with what you're saying on merit but I think Simmons would have a much greater impact than Exum did.

Simmons very literally deserves his spot on the A squad when he overcomes his injury.

Reply #630678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries has done very little and the NBA scouting report ain't that flash, why do people keep throwing him the mix, some of the other young players have also not proved much, just because you are at a US college doesn't mean a lot.

Reply #630683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please kill this thread! It's a headache to read these people put forth names based on nothing.

Reply #630684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, it does mean alot !

most top college teams would beat any nbl team.
Most nbl marqee players / imports are / were also college players who could not make the nba.
If you are able to dominate division 1 college basketball like simmons, duop reath, adel, landale and Jo acuil, you are not only good enough for the boomers, you are good enough
for the nba.

Reply #630690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon, none of those players dominated division 1 college basketball !! Good players in their respective teams thats all, haven't won anything significant

Reply #630691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College sides played I think Brisbane and Sydney at start last season and both Nbl sides did not have there imports and beat both college sides comfortably. They were UCLA and Washington I think and both sides had predicted top 10 draft picks. Men beat boys unless.

Reply #630692 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"most top college teams would beat any nbl team."

Only March and already a candidate for dumbest post of 2017

Reply #630697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL WTF college teams come out to Aus every NBL preseason and get thumped by import amd star-less NBL teams by double figures.

Reply #630699 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

""most top college teams would beat any nbl team."

Only March and already a candidate for dumbest post of 2017"

Absolutely. Now the reason why people think like this is because more NBA players come from college than the NBL. However, they seem oblivious to the fact that the vast majority of college players wont go on to play basketball professionally. Most of them wont even get a gig in the Mongolian B league.

NBL has beaten top college teams time and time again using only the NBL's bench and development players. Those who think college is a higher standard than NBL out themselves as people who know sweet fuck all about the game.

Reply #630702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Mongolian b league has very strict import limits so that's not surprising

Reply #630703 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you are able to dominate division 1 college basketball...you are not only good enough for the boomers, you are good enough
for the nba.
Are you seriously suggesting the NBA is a higher standard than the Boomers?

Reply #630708 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Adam Gibson, Peter Crawford etc were not NBA-level guys when they made the Boomers side m8

Reply #630709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say it again! Please kill this thread!

OK, let me lay it out for the 'college' lovers! Yes, most NBA players come from here, but they are not yet game ready the majority of the time. NBL teams would smack college teams mate. Men Vs Boys. You have no idea.

They have potential and may be very good, but not physically or mentally ready. please think before you speak

Reply #630710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently BA has sent out emails to potential future boomers making general contact with them to gage their interest in becoming boomers.

My mail is there are a number of high players waiting to see if lemanis is the 2020 boomers coach before they commit. If he remains the coach expect those players to
either not respond to BA or politely decline.

Reply #630716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^agree, useless thread, and agree re the "college" stars in their eyes devotees...... NCAA rules clearly state and adhere too , all players must be 23 and under that includes those on the scrimmage teams...that's for both men and women, high school kids are the same they can only play and/train against kids their own age and still in high school.
Unlike everywhere else in the world where if your a strong junior you get opportunities to play and train with and against mature seasoned players.
It's the hype that surrounds the colleg system that gets everyone over excited about the perceived ability of players.

It's not to say these players are not great players, but unless they are consistently playing/training with or against those mature bodies ( and mentalities) these college kids struggle when they first enter the senior area of the likes of the NBA/NBL and even more so the women.

Rarely if ever do college kids who have done their four years come into the higher levels of NBA/NBL or WNBA/WNBL and have an immediate impact, yet at college they may well have been killing it in that particular team and conference.

So they have even less chance of being trail blazers in a national team competing internationally.

You need to crawl before you walk and walk before you run

Reply #630720 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"Gaze, heal, Mckinnon, Vlahov were only 19 when

and all of them had been knocking around against senior teams in the SEABL, VBA etc for several years. Years that (in those days) NCAA spent sitting on the bench of their NCAA team.

All of them rode the bench in the Boomers to start with.

unless you are a total freak like Kobe and malone ( moses) or D dawkins, no college level player would dominate the NBL or even initially compete in the NBA.

good to remember that Christian Laettner was and is regraded as having a far better college player career than O'Neal.

Reply #630723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My mail is there are a number of high players waiting to see if lemanis is the 2020 boomers coach before they commit. If he remains the coach expect those players to
either not respond to BA or politely decline."

Yessssss, best news I've heard re: Boomers in a while. Smart players, Lemanis got lucky when the Breakers org. got more professional in the middle of his tenure, esp. in import recruiting. He stunk before and after that, and doesn't know how to tank properly. We have real players now who need a real coach!

Reply #630739 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Not so long ago, the overwhelming majority wanted Lemanis to stay because of the Rio results. So are we now seeing newbies or trolls entering the conversation, cos there's been nothing since then which would justify a change of mind.

If the NCAA players won't play for Lemanis, and so far it's just anonymous rumour without facts (someone aping Trump?), why not? Because he'll make them earn their spots? Smh

Reply #630752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, it's just a suggestion from Olgun Ulic the journo. He's speculating and scaremongering. I don't agree with him at all, as monstnif not all Aussies would never turn down the green and gold! And if they did, stuff them!
You can't hold the country to ransom as if you have already proven yourself. We don't want to pander to the attitudes if that's the case, sort of reminds me of the young tennis lad kicking up a stink all the time. On to the next one!

Reply #630759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ I don't think Olgun has ever said anything like: '"My mail is there are a number of high players waiting to see if lemanis is the 2020 boomers coach before they commit. If he remains the coach expect those players to
either not respond to BA or politely decline."

That supposed rumour from an Anon is clearly an overreaction, and most probably not true.

Looks like all Olgun's said is that some of the players aren't fond of Lemanis.

Is that really that hard to believe?

Reply #630762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, I'd say getting the 'scoop' would make a journo feel special. Nothing to it.
Get of his n@@s.

Reply #630763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Not so long ago, the overwhelming majority wanted Lemanis to stay because of the Rio results. So are we now seeing newbies or trolls entering the conversation, cos there's been nothing since then which would justify a change of mind."

The overwhelming majority have no idea, including you going off of your comment.

Reply #630767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That olgun uluc ...he's no journo lol, he is a wannabe, those college kids who don want to play for their country are the ones that got knocked back to begin with. They were not happy because at 18 yrs of age they thought they were better than seasoned men......

With Lemanis at the helm the Aussie men had their best ever result at any Olympic Games, and that's because he chose men not kids to play

Reply #630768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^agreed!!!
He is losing real journo cred with trash like that. He acts like he gets all the 'scoops' and lacks full understanding of the sport. It's one thing to get fed info from a few agents, it's another to live, and know the sport well.
I've spoken to some good young college guys who told me the exact opposite of what he said. And they've been hit up for desperate stories at times too.

Reply #630774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, Olgun clearly does break stories. Saying he doesn't have 'scoops' or isn't a journo, is just demonstrably incorrect.

And, I'll go back to it, is it inconceivable that some players might not like Lemanis? No-one legitimate (including Olgun) has said anything about players not playing for the coach, just that they're not too fond of him. That's completely reasonable.

Reply #630779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on no evidence

Reply #630786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis isn't exactly inspiring, not a player's coach.

Reply #630820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754