Anonymous
Years ago

Could Ferguson get stashed here for another year?

I know it's happened with second round picks recently, but could Ferguson spend another year developing with the sixers. The main thing would be resisting the guaranteed money a first rounder gets, but can an NBA team "loan" him to another team instead of spending time in dleague? Would be win win for everyone apart from the normal whinging fans who expects every import to be a superstar. Imo he would stand to get a bigger role as he physically matures next season, the NBA team could give resources to the club and next year he could step into an NBA roster. But if he fell to spurs for example id bet they'd love him to stay here, just be the financial security that would be lacking, not sure but if he signs with NBA he can't play in another league, only just thought of this so would welcome feedback if anyone knows exact rules. I know Euro players have to get their contracts bought out before they can head over, can the reverse be done, NBA pays a salary and sixers wouldn't have to pay a cent???
Now to wait for the usual Ferguson/Joey haters to start.

Topic #41030 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unlikely, he has shown little interest in growing facial hair.

Reply #630496 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The likelihood of him a) growing a moustache and b) playing NBL again next season is incredibly low

Reply #630498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, very funny, STASHED here then

Reply #630511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as he or any other high school kid don't come to adelaide using up an import spot. Don't care if they are free

Reply #630527 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

It's an interesting debate, and something I would like to see the NBL & NBA pursue further. I feel that several players who are not going to complete a college degree would be better off playing here for 1~2 years before being drafted. Potentially including a season post draft.
The standard is higher, the professionalism is higher, and they'll be playing against men rather than boys.

However I suppose it is a bit of a Catch-22. Players who are top prospects and likely to go early in the 1st round have less need of the money and development the NBL offers. Whereas those who would most benefit, are also those who really need to exhibit themselves under the noses of the NBA scouts.

In the NBL could get enough support from the NBA and NBA teams, I wouldn't mind seeing one of the three import slots restricted to a Ferguson type player.

As to whether we could see Ferguson stashed here for another season post draft, I feel that would depend on his NBA team and where he sits in their squad. I don't know what the specific rules are for the draft, but I imagine if taken below a given pick he must be offered a contract?

Reply #630558 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Need a pre-NBL league where HS or college rookies can play and trial before an NBL club commits. The players get a feel for the country and competition. If they don't make NBL, they play the ABL season and go wherever from there.

Reply #630563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There should be a junior or futures NBL league running at the same time as NBL.

With the shift to summer you can't pick up active state league players anymore.

Massive oversight, nearly twenty years on and still no level under NBL being played at the same time.

Reply #630602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ferguson agent has stress the NBL was great for his client but play in the D League where he can stays close to the nba team that drafts him in case of a call up and will not be returning to the nbl.

IMO, the only winners in ferguson playing in the nbl was, Joey in his attempt to maintain credibility with the NBA and college community, Sobey who is now on the nba teams radar after having a such a great season and the nbl from the attention ferguson captured by nba teams when they came to australia to watch him play.

As a stand alone import without all the hype, ferguson
would have been sacked! His lack of consistency and impact on the 36ers team would have pressured joey to release him.

They were one import short of winning the GF which ferguson was their import.

Nice kid but ALL HYPE!!!

Reply #630715 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754