Anonymous
Years ago

U18 Girls 1/2 Draw Issues

A previous poster asked that BSA consider putting the three top Div 2 teams into Division 1 to create two divisions of 10 teams which was impractical. The winter draw that has just been released and highlights the inequity in Division 1 and perhaps a rethink is needed by placing the summer Premiers, of Div 2, Norwood into division 1. If the aim is to keep girls in basketball I'm not sure the inequitable draw below helps because it is some distance from a home and away series and follows on from a summer schedule equally mystifying.

The first five rounds of winter for the ones is as follows:
Mavericks, 3 home, 2 away games.
Sturt, 3 home, 1 away, 1 bye.
Forestville, 2 home, 3 away games.
West, 3 home, 2 away games.
Norwood, 2 home, 3 away games.
North, I home game, 2 successive byes, 2 away games.
Centrals, 1 home game, 2 split byes, 2 away games.

I'd like to see BSA be proactive, produce a fair and equitable draw and stop the rot that sees Woodville, South and Tigers unable to field U18 Div 1 teams before they drive more kids from the game with their justifiable concerns and only four or five clubs can field a team.

Topic #41045 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This issue crops up every season.

U18G is always a difficult age group due to a number of reasons.

If a Div 2 team is bought up to say fill a gap left by Woodville, then let them play their home games at Woodville stadiums. It make scheduling easier.

Reply #630750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kinda sucks if you're eastern playing home games at St Clair.
Chicken or the egg question again, if want to play div one move to club that hasn't got a div one team. If not they may dominate div 2 but if kids are legit about playing higher rather than winning then this will always happen. But parents and kids are blinded by being successful rather than big picture. So the rich stay rich, and the poor stay poor.

Reply #630765 | Report this post

seen many things  
Years ago

could not agree more.

The people that are suffocating junior talent here in SA by voting against 2 x Div 1 or 2 teams need to realize that the concept that juniors will flock to weaker clubs for a higher grade is not happening.

Forestville need to be allowed 2 x u16 div 2 teams - perhaps BSA should consider first year u18s that are Div 3 standard - allow them an extra season in u16 div 3 on Thursdays.

Div 1s need games every week not byes.

u12 Div 3 there is a Western and possibly west team that need to be in Div 2.

u14 Div 3 there is a Norwood team that should be in Div 2 - and a Woodville team that should be in Div 3.

u16 D3 / D4 girls seem more balanced and no glaring issues with teams in wrong grades.

Reply #630771 | Report this post

seen many things  
Years ago

the competition was healthier and numbers better when stronger numbered clubs were allowed 2 x Div 1 or 2 teams.

Also when smaller clubs had active recruiting officers - I can recall all of the clubs that are low in u18 numbers fielding 3 teams in u18s in years gone by.

Reply #630772 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

here we go again...

U18 Norwood Div 2 girls would get smashed weekly in Div 1

would that help girls to stay involved in the sport?

As for Magic ever fielding a Div 2 team again dream on.

They've rightfully been told to abide by their initial agreement of Div 3 or below.

Any kids showing promise in that Club should look to move immediately to any of 10 Clubs that can provide an adequate pathway.

A social Basketball Club can not provide that function.

Reply #630787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cat I agree with you on most things but the Norwood Division 2 team has several first year 18s that played U16 country state last year in it so I doubt they would get smashed. certainly it would not help the sport if that was the case and they were not up to it but neither is a lopsided draw in Division 1 that just coincidently impacts most on the bottom two teams.
18s girls is an issue and has been for several years with no sign of improvement and BSA clueless about how to fix it.
Maybe BSA should ask one of the two bottom teams to voluntarily go to Division 2 so that at least the top division in junior girl's basketball can have a fair draw without byes and gives every team the same opportunity.
Bringing up the premier two team is the most practical.

Reply #630792 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

maybe on seasons of low number make it an u19 comp ?

Reply #630794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are worried about draws consider the YL Men Div 2. 10 teams but four of first five rounds have two teams having a bye each week. Why should there be any byes at all in a 10 team draw. Does BSA know what they are doing?

Reply #630796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is to cat

Before I go on I want to make clear I am not involved in the Magic.

What are the reasons for holding Magic to the agreement of no division 1 or 2 (beyond sticking to your word).

Surely if a club has teams good enough they should be allowed to play at the level appropriate for their skill level. If Magic has stronger teams than a club with a established pathway, maybe those other clubs should look internally and ask why that is.

It's a social club because they are not allowed to progress past that point.

Reply #630806 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

ok..here's the history lesson

when BASA was in the financial doldrums in the 80's they allowed a Club to join the Association under certain criteria for a cash grab.

Magic signed off on that agreement to never be higher than Division 3 and then also to be exempt from the encumbrances of financing an ABA team.

Magic actively promote to parents that they're the better Club because they charge less to play juniors. They fail to mention to kids and parents the restrictions on their involvement. They've even told their Coaches that with more wins with greater margins they'll be admitted to Div 1.

BSA have been lax in the past to allow them into Div 2 to help with the numbers. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If you want to play Div 1 pay the associated fees that all other Clubs have to bear being part of that 10 team agreement.

But don't lie to Coaches, parents and kids giving them all false hope whilst at the same time spruiking that you're the good guy charging less to play. IT COMES AT A COST.

Reply #630807 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

double byes make no sense at all

Reply #630808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A brilliant idea restricting Div 1 and Div 2 to the 10 "premier" clubs who cant and dont always fill "their" god given spots. The naivety of never expanding the elite competition beyond those 10 clubs is mind boggling brain dead.

Imagine if Victoria never expanded beyond their original clubs. Now befpre I hear the old catch cry "they dont have premier league costs" well neither do all the Vic clubs. Some play SEABL, some play Big V champ and some even play Div 1. They dont care!! It's like SA is stuck in the 60's and cant see past the good old glory days and way back when this is what worked best etc etc

Its 2017, time to move forward and not be stuck in the past.

Reply #630813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone explain the logic behind double byes?

Reply #630817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume double byes is because they don't have courts. Maybe going down to the div 5 level they should limit number of teams so they have enough timeslots. In reality it's not much better than social, if not put them on Sunday's somewhere.
As for having member clubs as only having div 1 teams it's a must. Otherwise it becomes mayhem, imagine afl, sanfl, netball, etc having a club or 2 showing up once in a while. I think maybe if they come top in div 3 in summer to maybe have a go in 2s, but why would you want to weaken the league. Simple, play div 1 go the member club, stay loyal to current team and play lower grade. Maybe I'm wrong but haven't seen too many non member clubs dominating consistently in lower grades in various age groups. In terms of Magic it's really weakened the western clubs, having 3 clubs in that area is spreading the talent around, especially with woodvilles girls programme. Imo magic should look to consolidate, not merge with either west or woodville and push their talented kids into higher grades

Reply #630830 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Magic had an under 12s div 2 team 2 years ago.

They won the GF.

Reply #630888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what? Every Magic supporter trots out this sort of rubbish to somehow validate a promotion to Div 1. Unfortunately the gulf between Div 2 and Div 1 is massive, resulting in nothing more than heavy losses each and every week. Magic supporters also have this amazing sense of entitlement to access all grades. Until you pay equivalent subs to every other Club you must stay where you are!

Reply #630894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does every one of the 10 premier clubs charge the same equivalent subs that you speak of anon #894? Do South charge the same as Norwood? Do Forestville charge the same as North?

Reply #630897 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

some magic players have transferred and gone from div 3 to div 1 at a member club

Reply #630925 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

take away the member clubs and any old person who wanted to start up a club could put a div 1 team if it wasn't regulated. But I do agree with the earlier comment that it is 2017 not 1965 and not just the old firms baby.

Reply #630926 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754