CatzChatz
Years ago

Wildcats Game Presentation - Suggestions for 17/18

Flowing on from the Knicks no music experiment discussion what would people change in terms of the Wildcats game presentation? (or for your own respective teams...)

Music variety - same playlist with the same songs played at the same stage of the game does get very repetitive. Other than Welcome to the Jungle, We Will Rock You to start a game and the 'get up on your feet' (no idea what it is called, the song they play with 1 min to go in a win), the rest can probably do with a refresh. I did enjoy the occasional use of Thunderstruck back in the day at Challenge Stadium for example.

Music frequency – perhaps not play music every possession? Not as loud? Doesn’t bother me as much as others.

Videos – more behind the scenes player videos and content would be good, they seem to have gone away from this over the last couple of years.

Entertainment – opportunity to mix it up a little. They don’t have to follow the same run sheet every week, i.e, marching band intro, intro dance to same song, same dances/songs during timeouts. Very formulaic and stale. I think the marching band has got better and adds to the atmosphere when used occasionally during play.

Court design – has been discussed on here a few times, but a couple of Wildcats logos and some red trim somewhere on the court in support of existing sponsor logos would look great (and slightly more ‘NBA’)

MC – Lachy does an awesome job, no changes needed here.

Lighting/intros – more could be done here. i.e turn lights off that shine on sponsor banners in the rafters for a full black out, do some sort of partial black out for starting 5 intros (don’t think the lighting allows for this though?), less lights focused on the crowd

Uniform design – the last two seasons they have integrated sponsor logos slightly better (size, positioning, albeit if they have to be ‘bumper stickers’) but they have let themselves down on player names and numbers that can’t be read from a distance or on TV (red on red this year or last year’s black on red with no outline). I’m sure the design looks great on screen when designing but more thought needs to be put into how they will look in real life. The heritage and army uniforms were a nice change as you could actually see the numbers and names of players.

Half time – great for kids to get the opportunity to play on the Perth Arena court but is it worth mixing this up some weeks?

Wilbur – I guess the mascot entry is pretty spectacular, but loses impact given they do it every week. But I guess that is for the kids anyway.

Dunk team, Tshirt cannons – all good and a nice break from cheerleaders etc.

Everyone else’s thoughts?

Topic #41048 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should email your suggestions to the club.

Reply #630795 | Report this post

CatzChatz  
Years ago

Worth a try I guess...

Reply #630797 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

On-court projector graphics for Starting Fives like teh NBA.. wooot

Reply #630798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good list, agree with most of your points. I think they have a lot of things right and are leading the NBL in game night entertainment experience. The challenge for them now is basically they just need ways to continue freshen it up so it doesn't get too repetitive each week while still keeping some of the 'traditional' things (eg: the regular songs played to start a quarter etc).

Reply #630799 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

I reckon they should get rid of Lachy. Shouts like a Collingwood supporter and his go to crowd arousal format is "on your feet" which gives me the shits. Find someone with a good voice ala the Chicago Bulls guy.

Reply #630800 | Report this post

CatzChatz  
Years ago

Yeah I acknowledge we have it pretty good as Wildcats supporters in terms of game night presentations and a lot of other teams would love to be able to do half of what the Cats do. Keeping it fresh is the key.

Reply #630801 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

black out for starting 5 intros (don't think the lighting allows for this though?), less lights focused on the crowd
Which lights are currently focused on the crowd that you think should be turned off?

The lights take a while to warm up, but if they're now going to play the pre-game video after they introduce the starters I don't see why they can't have a blackout, then use that time to have the lights come back on.

Reply #630803 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Think the final song in game for a win is nutbush city limits.

I would like to see more music variety, funnest game was 90's night and we didn't hear those songs ever again or even another night dedicated to other songs.

Get rid of the marching band or limit them to how many times they can play.

You can tell the people that are there as a once off as they point at wilbur swinging in from the rafters, its old for everyone else.

t-shirt cannons make it to the same small section of seats every week, feels pretty pointless.

And I swear I could do that opening cheerleading routine, ive seen it that many times.

Reply #630809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Okay I'm very glad this thread has been created. I've been a Wildcats member for 5 years (ever since they moved to the Arena) but attended a game at Hisense this year too. Personally, the game presentation at Hisense was far superior and professional to that of the Wildcats.

Firstly, the Wildcats need to play some music in the warmup, rather than advertising. Being a player myself, one of the best feelings is being able to warm up to current music, rather than listening to an ad about "Thinking Thrifty."

I also believe that they need to move player introductions/national anthem to right before tipoff. No point introducing the players when you can count the number of fans in the stadium on one hand. Also agree that a 3D court projection would be amazing.

Absolutely love Lachy Reid as a person, however he does sometimes get a little carried away. Telling everybody to stand up, clap their hands is a little annoying - eg. if Wildcats are getting thumped, fans are obviously going to be frustrated so no point trying to "force" the atmosphere. Let that be done by the players for making great plays. He also tends to commentate the game a little over the microphone. Melbourne United's courtside announcer did an excellent job - called fouls, who scored, etc and didn't talk during play.

Would also love to see the Cats darken the lights on the crowd. Will help draw your focus to the game and will add a more professional feel to the presentation. I remember when Adelaide did this, and it make Titanium Security Arena look so much better.

Now to the main part: the music.
I think it's now time to change up the music. Keep the classics, eg. We Will Rock You, Joker and the Thief, Get Up Offa That Thing, etc. but the majority need to go. I also believe this is the fourth consecutive year that they have used "Good Times" by Jimmy Barnes for when they introduce the Knight Corp Dancers. That definitely needs to change. The key point which I believe should change is WHEN they play the music. I noted this at the United game and they do this in the NBA too, but they only play song soundbites AFTER the team scores, so for the next possession down the floor they will play a soundbite. This worked very well. They also didn't have to play a song/sound effect on every possession during the game. Sometimes they would leave it quiet so you could hear the "sounds of the game" which worked very well being able to hear what was happening out on the court. I also don't believe the marching band adds much benefit to the overall experience and presentation. I do like however where they have started playing the "defense" chant where the organ goes up an octave every time (don't know if this is the correct terminology or not haha) but it's the one they play at Lakers' games.

There is a lot they can improve on as I personally believe the overall experience is very good, except the presentation is average. Definitely not bad, but there is no doubt room for improvement.

Reply #630812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a myth the 'Cats have the best entertainment experience. Most other clubs do it better. Wildcats are lazy and trot out the same bs every game.

Reply #630826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Lachie. Agree he can commentate a little too much sometimes which I think could be cut down a little, but overall he does a great job.

I think people miss the point sometimes of Lachie's "everyone stand up" moments though. He doesn't just do it for the fun of it to entertain us. Something he is very very good at is reading the momentum of the game and timing. He can see when the team is lacking, needs that extra boost and when the crowd is restless with the game situation. He helps rally everyone together, get the crowd behind the team again and acts as almost the 'coach' for the crowd.

Almost every single time he does it the momentum swings back in the Wildcats favour, they either extending out to a big lead or getting themselves back into it. Without him getting the crowd into it again it wouldn't happen.

It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but the guy is seriously worth an extra few points or so per game imo.

Reply #630827 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

Lachie's good although doesn't have to talk the whole game.
Don't like the marching band, good musicians but it's boring and does nothing to get the crowd interested at the start.
Change up of songs would be good, no more nutbush.

Reply #630832 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Firstly, the Wildcats need to play some music in the warmup, rather than advertising.
Are you offering to pay for that?

Would also love to see the Cats darken the lights on the crowd.
Nobody is allowed to make this suggestion anymore unless they can show, with a photograph of the Arena, which lights they think should be turned off.

Reply #630837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somebody should do this for Hawks and every other team for that matter.

Reply #630862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the lights on the crowd - the lighting set up means both the crowd and court are covered by the lights (or so I believe). If they were to focus lights only on the court and 'black out' the crowd I assume they would need to alter the Arena house lights or get a new lighting rig that only focuses on the court.

Reply #630874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Kobe I'm sure if every other team can afford to do it, then the Wildcats would be able to

Reply #630875 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I dont like when the lights are blacked out on the crowd. I want to be able to see the crowd - its a good look for TV. Blacking it out gives the impression that its an empty stadium. Plus you miss out on the seeing the emotions of the crowd.

Why would you want to hide 11000 people when you are trying to convince sponsors that there are people watching the game?

Reply #630880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it's no exactly "blacking" out the crowd, but definitely dim the lights as you move further up the stadium.

Reply #630881 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Firstly marching band need to learn how to march as they drag their feet and I'm not sure what most of their songs that they are playing are.

Totally agree with anon about the national anthem, it's on way too early and should be used to get the crowd in the mood like with AFL/NRL finals where it's played directly before a game... only if have the ideas above implemented for the starting 5s.

I know they are called Knightcorp dancers but can we have some kind or cheerleading, they give us all the flipping with the slam dunk team and that's what we should see from the girls and they drastically need a new choreographer as the routines are so boring.

I liked the addition of the Lynx mascot and id like to see her more regularly along with giant Wilbur, the more the merrier when it comes to mascots and lowering the affect of the red wankers as they are only there to annoy.

The DJ needs to be replaced, I want someone on the ball that plays "hit the road Jack" or "charge" or other sound bites at just the right moment, if you think I'm asking too much then why do others and I'm especially thinking Adelaide play the right sound bite at the right time... I don't want a player getting to the bench and then having us wave him off. This is something that is in the essence of basketball that you don't get with other sports and adds to the game night experience. Music would change with new and more alert DJ.

T-shirt cannons, like seriously what's the go there, you spend good money on gold seating along the court and they shoot it way over your head or towards the fans that pay less to attend, uttter bullshit.

I don't really like Lachie but I agree he is very important to the Wildcats at home and if you get annoyed at him asking you to get up off your seat and cheer then exactly why are you there? I go to scream and cheer on my team and see quality basketball and he helps with that tremendously.

I'd like more celebrity integration too, if they are in the crowd then tell us if you like.

Need far more funny segments, that St. Valentine's Day skit from years ago where Wilbur got a gf only to find out she was a 36ers supporter and ended up with a cream pie to the face was legendary and more of them wouldn't go astray.

I love when they incorporate holidays such as Halloween and think they should do more like that where they change up the music and the feel of the game.

Sounds ridiculous but can we actually get people from the crowd shooting the half court shot that can get the ball atleast to the foul line on the full... absolute disappointments and like they weee trying not to give away the money.

Lastly can we have a change in the booze that is sold at games, it sucks and the Hopman Cup having Canadian clubs that they sell to us due to excess stock is just teasing. Surely this isn't a Perth Arena decision but a Perth Wildcats one to make.

Reply #630890 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

@Kobe I'm sure if every other team can afford to do it, then the Wildcats would be able to
If other teams had sponsors willing to pay for those ads, I'm sure that's the way they'd go.

Totally agree with anon about the national anthem, it's on way too early and should be used to get the crowd in the mood like with AFL/NRL finals where it's played directly before a game
Yeah, nothing gets me in the mood for sports more than standing around for three minutes listening to a slow, boring song.

The DJ needs to be replaced
From what I understand they regularly change DJs. They used to announce the DJ for the night before each game, not sure if they still do that.

Music would change with new and more alert DJ.
Music is determined by the club.

Lastly can we have a change in the booze that is sold at games, it sucks and the Hopman Cup having Canadian clubs that they sell to us due to excess stock is just teasing. Surely this isn't a Perth Arena decision but a Perth Wildcats one to make.
Why would that be the Wildcats' decision?

Reply #630893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's a myth the 'Cats have the best entertainment experience. Most other clubs do it better. Wildcats are lazy and trot out the same bs every game."
Yep, Wildcats are so rubbish its no wonder they can barely fill a 14,000 seat Arena

Reply #630981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So? The vast majority are sheep and have never experienced bball anywhere else interstate or overseas.

Reply #630986 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The wildcats game day experience is boring once you've been to a few games.
Same old shit.

A lot of the suggestions above have merit.

Reply #631363 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I wonder if their theory is that the kids like the repetition/familiarity factor, and the adults are there for the basketball so they're not put off too much by it.

Reply #631383 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Yea, seems to work if they can pack it out every game..

Just need the on court graphics.

Reply #631417 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754