smith
Years ago

Thoughts on individual coaching

What do you all think about an under 14 G doing indi's once or twice a week ? useful or pointless?
i'm in two minds.

If you are FOR the indi, who do you recommend in SA and what would you suggest is covered?

i am keen to encourage a love of the game and self motivated shooting out front to music etc and leave the extra stuff out, but there is this real trend towards kids receiving indi's to be considered for higher teams.

She shows promise and plays 1/2s but i am fairly certain is no future pro though.

Topic #41063 | Report this topic

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Sorry I'm not from SA so I can't recommend anyone, but I've had good success with girls (& boys) of that age with indis. They can be beneficial if done the right way. I see too many coaches who try to get kids to take shots off 17 dribble moves.
Game shots, game spots, game speed. 30 minutes a session at most at that age. Ideally consult with their regular coach and find out where he/she expects your kid to be shooting the ball from in the team's offense and work on those situations for most of the session. It can be even better if your kid has a friend so they can do partner stuff. Pass into a closeout/contest to make the shots more game like
The number one thing I would say is though, make sure your kid WANTS to do it. If they just go because you want them to and don't put in 100% it's a waste of time. Kids who were there to be babysat were lucky to last 3 sessions with me. The motivated ones all improved

Reply #631046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than doing nothing. Hopefully works on weak parts of game and fundamentals, rather than fancy moves straight off YouTube. Build a solid foundation.

Reply #631071 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

If you have a coach that will work on fundamentals and start from the ground up then it can ONLY be a great thing. The more time kids have a ball in their hands, the better they will be for it in the coming years... so dont be in a rush to see results straight away.

Reply #631108 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

Thanks, her current coach is fantastic but she is looking for more - all driven by herself not me.

if anyone can recommend someone in SA who does it well with solid results i will be keen.

Not interested in clubs usual suggestions as they are usually just their premier league players and changes constantly. I am looking for something longer term i think.

Reply #631111 | Report this post

Hopscotch 79  
Years ago

If you post up what suburb/area you are in , and how far are you willing to travel , you are likely to get a better answer.

Reply #631129 | Report this post

the prophet  
Years ago

premier league players are fine if they get the right message across.

Reply #631163 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

best to find someone who has had at least 2 out of three of the following - an NCAS L2 or L3 coach, coached at top grade u/12 , u/14s and u/16s level, and who has been a satellite coach for the NITP programs.

Not an easy task.

"premier league players are fine if they get the right message across."

err - not really , the rare one might...

u/14s can be a very faint memory for most players.

centers usually have no idea what point guards need to be able to do, SG usually don't know much about post up defense or offense.

the same goes for many elite assistant coaches .

back to the basket play is quite different to facing basket play - for both the defense and the offense.

Players mostly do, coaches mostly teach. You can acquire a basketball skill without actually knowing exctly what a coach did to "fix' your technical problems, and there's not g'tee that your problems' solutions will apply for this new players problems.

hope that make sense.

Reply #631168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It often comes down to what coach a player has had as to the influence they pass on. Dunlap had many flaws but his influence on his players and assistants were great in my opinion, great technical coach and use a lot of his drills to this day. Whereas some players have just relied on physical and athletic ability and have no idea about fundamentals and shooting, ball handling etc. Be like shaq teaching post moves, dominated but was mainly because of his size.
And some of coaches at nitp and state are less of a standard than other coaches out there, just have more time and ambition. Heard that if you have a teaching background it's more desirable, may have some relevance but if you're a science teacher does that make you a good basketball teacher.
Will probably be a lot of people that will disagree, but Rashad Tucker is fantastic and has a lot of his players go on to college, most have great physical prowess but he does great work with fundamentals.

Reply #631174 | Report this post

the prophet  
Years ago

so very old - someone like Jess Foley (premier league) can't deliver a good indi ? LOL

Reply #631179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#631174 - This is somewhat off topic but I don't think reasonable person would disagree that Tucker knows how to train kids in skills such as handling the rock, getting them to shoot game-like and so forth. He does and he's good at it. It's in other ways that he lets himself down and finds himself rather friendless within the basketball community.

Reply #631182 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"the prophet"

Don't misquote and misinterpret others and then laugh, because your just making yourself look stupid to those of us who have the sort of experience the OP was asking about .

And Jess is a perfect person to refute a post like yours, and its ironic to a degree that you would not believe possible, that you chose to use her as an example to misapply what I said (hence this rant).

What you desperately need to do do become a little less ignorant ( if possible) is go and ask Jess if she thinks she would easily be able to give a better individual session to an u/14 girl than , say, Phil Brown, or Patrick Hunt, or other ex AIs or NITC coaches who taught her what she needed to know to get to the AIS and then on to the 4 years at Duke. I know the level of personal respect that Jess STILL has for those people, you plainly don't.

I didn't say players can't do it, or that some would not do it well, just that if you want to teach an u14 science, don't send in a research scientist with 3 PHD's, send in that research scientist's science teacher from when they were u/14 , if that's when (and who) they got to learn and love science.

Reply #631185 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Anon -

I agree , some NITC coaches are not real great, they have enthusiasm and energy, drive and ambition, but sometimes not a lot of understanding around the pedagogy of youth team and individual sports, nor do they always have a lot of experience at successfully applying the NITC general principles into solving specific player weaknesses. But the NITC experience is a good first step for some of these coaches.

they are all volunteers after all. But there is always some very quiet and polite de-selection of the less effective after a while by the program head

The longer serving they have been, the more likely that they have actually got what the OP is after. there is some

Reply #631186 | Report this post

smith  
Years ago

Very Old - you make excellent points.

We are in the north east.

Reply #631421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754