Air Delay
Years ago

Illawarra Hawks 2017/18

Well since there's a thread for the Taipans & Kings, we better have one for the most stable roster.

IMO the Hawkies should go with near the same line up and only two imports.

Norton
White
Coenraad
Kay
Ogilvy

Clarke
Martin
Foreman
Import 5 (I'd be happy with Big Mike as he serves his purpose)
Ellis
Then space for a young athlete that can rebound... OR, maybe keep the spot open for an import if required...

But with one if the most balanced and all Aussie line ups in the league, do the Hawkies really need to burn $$$ on a third import?

Wouldn't mind pinching big Hodgson from the 36ers though... I think he'd grab some boards and provide some rim protection.

Topic #41098 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Hodgson is contracted. In place of Holyfield, they could try Jacobsen or McKay from other teams. Otherwise agree, keep mostly the same and replace two imports.

They don't appear to be rushing to keep Coenraad and Forman but IMO should keep both and focus on imports after that.

Reply #631889 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Good call Isaac. I would LOVE McKay if we could afford him!

Reply #631890 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Jacobsen would be interesting. Think Bevo was the one criticising him for cheap shots. I still wonder why 6ers would not bring him back. Was crucial this season and has massive upside.

Reply #631894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha you would be happy to keep 'Big Mike', good thing you're not the GM lmao

Reply #631896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With that squad you wouldn't make the finals...

Reply #631897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

With that squad you wouldn't make the finals...
They made finals this year and I think there are obvious upgrades for two imports.

I'd be using all three import spots. Someone smarter than Holyfield and an upgrade on Harris.

Reply #631898 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

No one ever thinks we can make the playoffs.
If I thought we could realistically afford to pay a bigger dollar import back up 5 I'd say we go for it...
But with lots of our dollars tied to Clarke & Ogilvy a big banger that can be a presence is probably the best we're going to get.

Big Mike is also outstanding with the community and kids in the region, thus why I'd be happy with him as 10th or 11th man in the rotation. He is only young too, so I see the light that he could develop in to a solid NBL 5 in couple of years.

Reply #631900 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"With that squad you wouldn't make the finals..."

Thats rather odd given they not only made the Grand Finals they had to go through the Sixers to do it.

The most obvious improvements are at the import 2 and 5.

After a good start Marvelle went quiet for the second half of the year. Had a good series against the Sixers then his two GF games were forgettable (we can understand those given his loss).

Holyfield was overall disappointing.

Improve on those positions and the Hawks can get to the GF again and not be swept.

Reply #631904 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

All they need is an upgrade at the import three spot. A player who can defend, rebound and at least look like hitting an outside shot. Once teams worked Harris out they just backed off and he couldn't get to the rim as easily.

A player with a similar skill set to Torrey Craig would be sensational. Remember Craig was a budget import as well so they are out there for a reasonable price.

That type of player would plug so many holes and make the Hawks genuine contenders again.

While I understand Holyfield might tick a lot of boxes with his attitude it would be better to have a back up big who can catch, not travel and finish on something other than dunks. Holyfield takes so long to react once he gets the ball that even a lot of his dunk attempts are challenged and blocked.

Reply #631905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire better imports. Simples.

Reply #631910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They did make the finals this year but i'm expecting the standard of the league to be even better next year. To be content with 2 underachieving imports isn't going to get the job done. Isaac i agree, if they can get a smarter, more level headed big to replace holyfield, and more consistency to replace Harris they will be so much better. Would like to see them pick up a more athletic and defensive player to replace Harris...

Reply #631923 | Report this post

Gus  
Years ago

Bevo must be kicking himself he let Sobey go last season.

Reply #631924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Josh Boone to help out with rebouning?

Reply #631937 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

If Boone plays NBL it will surely be with UTD.

What about Jaron Johnson?

Great defensive energy, can hit a 3, fit as.... perfect?!?!?!

Yes?

Reply #631940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally, I'd like to see a Boone type player, if not him. Rebounding has been an issue for a long time, oppositions have been able to score too freely from second chances in the paint.

Reply #631941 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The most obvious improvements are at the import 2 and 5."

I take it that's a joke or not our mean the three spot. Rotnei Clarke is one of the best SGs going around. But yes, a better SF and back-up C and they will have a very dangerous team.

Interesting comparison with Torrey Craig, as apart from some breakout games he had a pretty average first season, much like Marvelle Harris.

Reply #631943 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I take it that's a joke or not our mean the three spot. Rotnei Clarke is one of the best SGs going around."

It wasn't a joke. When I said import 2 I meant Marvelle Harris. Clarke is contracted already.

I considered an Import 3 but they already have Ceonraad who is very serviceable. But if Coenraad is happy to start from the bench, an Import 3 would be great too.

Reply #631959 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They did make the finals this year but i'm expecting the standard of the league to be even better next year.
We all said that this season just been and none of Melbourne, Sydney or NZ made the post-season.

The Hawks had a couple of young imports this year when I think they'd be better served by more experienced players. For youth, they have Norton and Kay.

Reply #631962 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Blanchfield would have been such a perfect fit at Illawarra...

Reply #631965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Coenraad and Forman gave some match winning performances last season and can still give valuable minutes and experience. They should be kept.

Hollyfield really didnt offer much other than clogging minutes in the front court. They need a big who can catch and finish in one motion, or just play small ball with Kay, Ellis or Forman in limited minutes at centre. Ogilvy is the best big in the game, he could be playing 30 plus minutes a game.

A Torrey Craig like 3 man who can help on the glass, push the ball and get to the basket would be a better fit than an undersized Marvelle Harris.

With Angus Glover now available, Hawks need to lock him up even with backcourt all under contract.

Reply #632119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if Hawks even made a play for Blanchfield? Or Kings swooped like they did with Lisch last year before Hawks even had a shot.

Reply #632124 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think Glover was heading to St Marys...

Reply #632167 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think Glover was heading to St Marys...

Reply #632168 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I considered an Import 3 but they already have Ceonraad who is very serviceable."

They recruited Harris as an import three and started him there for most of the season with Coenraad as his back-up.

I doubt they'll go for another import two given Clarke's talent, but an upgrade on Harris at SF, or even him just improving after his rookie season will hold them in good stead.

Agree it's important they keep Coenraad, a quality contributor even when he's not hot like he was at times in the playoffs.

Reply #632175 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

@Air Delay, Glover recently pulled out of his commitment to the Gaels. He's going to turn pro in the NBL after the upcoming Nike Hoop Summit and SEABL stint.

Since he's going to be a full-fledged free agent, can't just slot him in as a DP. He's probably giving Bevo a bit of a headache with roster spot this time and maybe even budget-wise. You better hope that rich neighbour up the highway somehow retain McDowell-White :).

Reply #632183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754