Zodiac
Years ago

36ers re-sign Joey Wright for 5 years

Great news the new Sixers owner Grant Kelley has given coach Joey Wright a five year deal now contracted until 2022.

THE Adelaide 36ers have resigned three-time NBL Coach of the Year Joey Wright to a club record five-year contract that will see him through until 2022.

New Sixers owner Grant Kelley today declared Wright was "one in a million" and the ideal man to lead the club through what he describes as its championship window.

β€œI had dinner with Joey in January and told him then that regardless of what happens, I see him as the bedrock for our culture and future,” Kelley said.

β€œHe is our technical leader and our spiritual leader and I truly want Joey to finish his coaching career with and in Adelaide.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-sign-coach-joey-wright-to-new-fiveyear-nbl-contract/news-story/6831ecf25e402e9cdc6d4793659fe09d?from=htc_rss

Topic #41120 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

5 years! Holy shit...

Reply #632287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years? Take it easy, that sucks to be honest just too long. But there are a lot of fans on his nuts that will be happy with this.

Reply #632288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holy hell.

Reply #632289 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I suspect if he's to come back Randle would've wanted to see Joey locked up long term too before committing to do the same.

Reply #632290 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

5 years? Wow ... even for a coach you love that is a big call.

Reply #632292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc and it's even longer for a coach you don't love, can see for what he really is a salesmen with little results. So yeah sucks to be a 36ers fan or piping shrike fan or whatever we are anymore. Randle won't be returning and even if he was it's all about the money not who's the coach. Business facts.

Reply #632293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if he still demands his contracts be paid upfront, in full?

Reply #632294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if that dinner came with a full disclosure of what went wrong this season just gone? I'd love Joey who is never short on opinions to explain that in full. Won't hold my breath though.

Reply #632295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find that astonishing.
Joey has always been a hot-head with a big mouth. This year he let that get the better of him, and I would hold him personally responsible for his team throwing away an almost certain championship.
Too obsessed with doing his rag and blaming the refs, and couldn't even get his team to focus in that last game.

In this league, the 36ers will not have another season like that anytime soon, and in the end Joey blew it.

I can only imagine that in typical Joey fashion he blamed everyone else for his problems and threatened to walk out.
Maybe they should have let him.

Reply #632297 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is a big risk, very big. I am very concerned about this 'championship / premiership window' that Kelley keeps referring to.

Yes, we have a good Aussie core, but so do most other teams. I woild argue that the Hawks have a better Aussie core. With 3 imports, teams' fortunes can now fluctuate wildly. Yes Joey found Randle, but he also found Ferguson, DQ Montreal and Ebi Ere.

If we're going by you're as good as your last game, then losing 6 of the last 7 and getting knocked out at home to fourth place is certainly not a positive mark during negotiations.

To me this pretty much confirms that the Sixers have no interest in addressing their defensive issues. Sixers will continue to play up tempo fun basketball, but will that translate to Rings? My honest assessment is no, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Reply #632298 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Anon the dinner was in January. What had gone wrong then? Joey cops alot of crap on here. He can carry on a little bit but he is clearly an excellent coach. Do not understand the hate for him tbh. I am glad he is sticking around.

Reply #632300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shano your right and I didn't bother reading the article properly just as quick sift. Poor business start from the new owner to be honest shocking logo and colour design out of knowhere that came along... now off a 5year contract to a coach who would've accepted 2 with a 3 year club option. What else is he going to do? He is a coach and coaches coach. 5 years gives him a lot of excuse time.

Reply #632301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Luuuc and it's even longer for a coach you don't love, can see for what he really is a salesmen with little results."

Got to hand it to Joey these sugar daddy owners love him. First Groves then Tomlinson and now Kelley.

Reply #632302 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Lets hope that there are some KPI bonus and penalties included in the contract, and some turnover in the assistant coaches. At year 4 of a n0n-negotiated contract you can be getting a fairly burnt out group of coaching staff.

Just imagine the success we would have had if Marty had had a 5 year instead of a three year contract.

Reply #632303 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This guy keeps blabbing on about a championship window, and it has me perplexed. There is no championship window in the NBL. Most guys are on 1 year deals, and there is no draft. Every year is your championship window.

Reply #632305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick agree totally stupidest term to use in relation to the nbl. Just clueless. Add a draft and all of a sudden they'd be making sense.

Reply #632309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anon the dinner was in January. What had gone wrong then? Joey cops alot of crap on here. He can carry on a little bit but he is clearly an excellent coach. Do not understand the hate for him tbh"
So maybe you slept through their Semi-Final catastrophe?
Let me briefly recap for you.
The 36ers had an astonishing season, and locked in top spot with 5 games to go. An outstanding feat especially in the close competition we had this year. They entered the play-offs more fancied than any team in recent memory.
Joey got caught up in blaming the refs for everything, and de-railed his team, who fell to pieces. When his team was down and need him to rally them, his great piece of coaching was to just tell them to "go with your gut."

Reply #632312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What this above anon just said sums it up for me. And no I'm not the same anon haha going to be a long 5 years or expensive contract if cut short.

Reply #632316 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

A week is a long time in politics
A season is a long time in sport

5 years is long time for a coach, you can get less for murder these days

Reply #632317 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

Fantastic news, despite the haters above.

Reply #632319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RG i am sick of idiots referring to a opinion different to say your own as 'hating'. I think a 5 year deal for ANY coach is a really stupid business move, the risk of losing motivation is huge no carrot to chase. Adelaide have basically rewarded 'good enough', that's my opinion and it has some merit, that is not hating. Perhaps discuss the points with an adequate rebuttal you've got 5 years to do so.

Reply #632323 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Joey Wright has his problems but I don't see how people are deriding his results.

The man took the bottom team to the top in his first season with the sixers, only to lose to Perth in the Grand Final.

He then took the youngest NBL team ever - a team that everyone expected to be sipping from the wooden spoon - to the top of the ladder and to the NBL finals, before obviously bowing out unceremoniously.

Both of those teams were teams that were comparatively undermanned, yet he forced them to the precipice of a championship.

And you can talk about the implosion of our series against the Hawks, but still they were the youngest team ever, and probably should never have got to that position to begin with by all reckoning.

As for his flaws, yes he whinges to refs too much. Yes, he probably cries racism a bit. But he gets the job done and he inspires his players.

The 5 year deal seems like a lot, but I think they're trying to actually build something here.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sobey and (maybe) Randle are signed for multi-year deals.

Reply #632326 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Both of those teams were teams that were comparatively undermanned, yet he forced them to the precipice of a championship. "

I can sort of accept that the GF loss to the Wildcats meant the sixers were at "the precipice of a championship", but that was a 34 point "precipice".

But I cannot accept the same description for this season. Not even getting to the GF is not a 'precipice' its not even in the same postcode as that edge.

Reply #632328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let me get this straight - in January during the hot run Joey gets told by the future owner it's all good you are guaranteed a job. Then the losing run starts and they choke in semis. Meanwhile Gleeson is sweating bullets every game because he knows the Wildcats brass don't accept mediocrity and nothing is guaranteed. Diamonds are created by pressure, not comfort.

So Kelley has failed pre-ownership. Wow.

Reply #632329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like you are about to buy a car but crashed it during the test drive. Oops

Reply #632330 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Thank God the majority of posters on here don't own or have influence over the team.

Reply #632333 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Joey is a flog!

Reply #632334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Thank God the majority of posters on here don't own or have influence over the team."
Maybe the sensible ones here see that a 5 year commitment to any coach is far to long.

Reply #632340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years is the issue here not who coaches them. Joey has proven if you put a decent squad together any coach can sit there and bark instructions.

Reply #632343 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There's two parts to this, whether Joey deserved to be re-signed, and whether 5yrs was too long or not...

There's another thread somewhere for the first part, there are legit comments to both sides... Whether Joey was the main reason the team performed as well as they did, or whether it was just stand out performances more regularly from Randle and/or Sobey that got them their wins is something someone is going to have to look into their win/losses to learn more about...

5yrs is a VERY long contract for a coach especially... If only because it locks the team into paying what is probably not a small amount for that long, and unless there are some KPI conditions or legal mumbo jumbo that gives the team options to continuing after X amount of seasons (remember that player contracts are advertised as X years when they are usually Y years + Z option) then it's pretty dangerous from a business sense that they haven't protected themselves...

As said above, 2yrs + team option, or even a coaches option for that third season would still have achieved the same result of giving the sense of stability and faith in their coach and giving them the ability to build long term, as it's not like players are ever locked into 5yr deals, the longest being 3yrs. Deng and Creek are the only players with 2yrs left on their deals, so even with a 2+1 deal for Joey, he can lock someone in like Sobey or anyone new for a 3yr deal and start the growth from there...

Reply #632345 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wookiee, Joey still had two years to go on his current contract they must've agreed to tear it up for this new five year contract.

Reply #632353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow I didn't know that part zodiac! Man this is a confusing offer then. It's coaching so wasn't like Joey was going anywhere anyways. Leave it 1 more season then before second season starts offer him a 3yr extension at most. Dumb move cost spot for a coach to have 5 years to 'build' he needed to be made to be more motivated than this contract offers.

Reply #632354 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Hmm, 5 years is long time for a coaching position no doubt.

But I do like that it sounds a new confidence and stability for a club that has been several heartbeats away from insolvency numerous times. That might be the message Kelley wants to send, whilst giving Wright more leash to develop his kind of guys over a longer period.

Generally speaking Wright has and maintains strong relationships with his players who usually seem to want to play for him, perhaps for too long (see Gibson).

Wright's teams will always be run and gun uptempo teams, focussed mostly on piling on points and living/dying by the quality of his players on individual defence. Will it win championships? Well it can with the right cattle, but it certainly doesn't guarantee success. But what does?

Btw, to the anons above, statements such as 'They entered the play-offs more fancied than any team in recent memory' is such a re-imagining of history it is not funny. The only consensus on this site was that it was anyone's championship to win! At 17-11 the Sixers had the worst finishing record of a regular season champion since Perth in 2009-10.

Reply #632358 | Report this post

HiNRG  
Years ago

Offering a coach a 5 year deal with a winning percentage of only 57% over 4 seasons is a terrible idea!
I trust this could have something to do with Joey's citizenship application

Reply #632359 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I agree XY.

With the way coaching is, in any sports league let alone NBL, a 5 year deal has strong potential to be regrettable by the third or fourth year.

But that goes for any coach who isn't someone like a Popovich.

If the standard for a coach is to win the championship, then there's 7 sub-standard coaches every year. Failing to do so yet (with the 36ers) isn't the be-all end-all.

What Joey does do is:

a) Bring a high level of success (first year a bottom team to the GF, following year almost finals, this year a broadly regarded cellar dweller to the minor championship)

b) Have an experienced track record in the NBL over multiple clubs

c) Have the confidence of his players and plenty of player connections - a necessity when it comes to recruitment, player development, chemistry and ultimately success

d) Play a run & gun style which is entertaining and Adelaideans in particular appreciate

There is absolutely no doubt Wright deserved to return to the helm for another season.

There are some silver linings to the very long contract - to begin with he is clearly a good coach, that's a start.

Secondly this provides an air of stability in the club which is not a bad thing. I think the NBL has been blighted by too much chop and change and if anything it makes it hard for the fans to connect.

Thirdly it shows the club has resources, confidence of the owner, an expectation of longevity by the owner and a demand for a high standard - Grant Kelley clearly is not looking to be cheap and he is not looking to let good talent slip.

These are good signs, even if there's a risk attached.

Reply #632360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a reason why coaches not named popovich don't get stupid contract extensions. Wright hasn't done all the much, he has talked his stuff up and shown life but when push comes to shove he hasn't really done a lot of winning when it counts.

Reply #632372 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

a) Bring a high level of success (first year a bottom team to the GF, following year almost finals, this year a broadly regarded cellar dweller to the minor championship)

Minor quibble KET, in Joey's second year with us we did make the finals but got swept by the Breakers, then 3rd year missed the finals and this past season was his 4th year.

Reply #632378 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

For those going bananas about Joey's new 5 year deal the Hawks re-signed Bevo to a 4 year deal last offseason and I don't remember hearing too many complaining about that.

It's only one more year than Bevo got but the usual haters are out in force like they always are on any Joey thread.

Bevo + 4 year deal = crickets

Joey + 5 year deal = pandemonium

Reply #632381 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Well we need a coach for 5 years right?

Its possible that the expansion teams are looking already for their coaches, if they join the league in 2018/19, so it could be very wise to lock Joey in now.

It will keep the wolves at bay and save us looking urgently for a coach at the end of his previous contract.

Good move I think.

Reply #632382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright is no Bevo. Maybe he can sell himself as though he is but he isn't. Hence the bipolar reaction.

Reply #632386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo four years is fine as he is a better coach. GF this season with a cheap squad.

Reply #632390 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Maybe 5 years was needed as Melbourne had offered a massive deal as well?

Like all contracts in sport - if he sucks then he gets the arse. Both parties then agree to a payout figure. New owner clearly wanted to lock him up long term (IMO great move) and is fine with it costing him some $ to get rid of him early if it doesn't work out. Pretty simple really!

Reply #632396 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Forgot about that Zodiac, you're correct

Reply #632401 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Sounds like Grant Kelley is anticipating a long relationship and perhaps Sixers might be looking forward to a decent ongoing working budget.
That would be a welcome change!

Bring it on!!

Reply #632411 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Yes Zodiac! What is it with the Joey haters? I get he can come across as a bit of a tool but he is clearly a good coach. 5 years might be risky but it is a gamble worth taking imo. Just do not get the hate towards JW from many on here.

Reply #632443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not hating it's an opinion that is different to yours. People being concerned with a coach of any talent level being given 5 years is warranted. Shano we all know you love Joey and that's fine that's your thing, but I don't rate him i think he is all talk no substance. I base this not on hate for the sake of hating but lack of results.

Reply #632444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Shano76, I suspect it's one or two people from WA who still haven't gotten over that time the Sixers & Wildcats had a fight in Perth and during the pushing and shoving Joey shoved or punched their former assistant coach in the chest.

It's just ridiculous he/they troll every Joey thread, just bombard the threads with posts about how he's a fraud, can't coach, is a bad coach, professional salesman, overseas junkets etc

Reply #632445 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think it's more that there's a lot of perth fans. Bound to be some idiots, bound to be some who exude quality.

I learn to listen to the likes of luuuc, it keeps me from from making general swipes at Perth

Reply #632446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But he's also a sht stirrer just a bit milder.

Reply #632448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live in adelaide just call it how I see it zodiac. He isn't as good as his supporters think and it will be a long 5 years I reckon. The way things finished this season, he shouldn't have been rewarded so heavily. 1-6 record to end doesn't sit well with many.

Reply #632453 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

I love Joey? Where have i ever said that ? I just dont understand the level of anti-Joey sentiment here. I think he is a good coach.

Reply #632454 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Good news. Great coach and a nice guy.

Reply #632458 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Fremantle signed Ross Lyon to a 5 year deal and look how well that is working out...

Reply #632460 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tyronn Lue signed a 5 year deal with the Cavs how is that working out?

Reply #632464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac, lue has lebron and Kyrie, Joey doesn't have that talent and when he has had considerable talent it hasn't been enough. So 5 years at the end of the day for a good coach or a great coach or any other descriptive word for a coach is very risky.

Reply #632466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back in the Bullets days no one gave him credit due to moneybags Groves. This run that ended abruptly was going to change all of that. Nearly a decade on still no ring.

Still don't understand why many are thinking he is being harshly criticised it was 100x worse during Bullets era and no one batted an eyelid.

Reply #632468 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He has a ring with the Bullets, so that can't be "no ring"

Reply #632475 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Five years is a long time but you'd hope there is an option at some point in the contract.

I think in the 10 seasons before Wright started the 36ers made the playoffs four times and didn't win a playoff game.

In four years under Wright they've made the playoffs three times and played in a GF. He has certainly turned the on-court fortunes of the club around without a big budget.

Reply #632476 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely prefer new owner signing coach for 5 years than previous owners struggling to keep the team going.
(Run and gun , fast style , not much D , and we don't play well against a zone D. )

Reply #632478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He has a ring with the Bullets, so that can't be "no ring"

No ring SINCE that ring and Groves' $$$.

Reply #632491 | Report this post

Dione 17  
Years ago

Isolating some statistics... over the past 2 seasons, United and the 36ers have won a minor premiership each and missed out on finals once each. Both teams swept in the finals campaigns. Of the 2 records Coach Demo coached a 53% record, Coach Joey coached a 54% record.

Coach Demo fired for underachieving, Coach Joey offered a 5 year contract going forward

For the record... I am not suggesting Joey should be fired, but maybe the 5 year deal is excessive

Reply #632494 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Sixers weren't swept.

Reply #632506 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

36ers weren't swept and did all of that on a budget and with the youngest side in history - bit of a difference.

Adelaide were considered to be overachieving if they finished 7th whilst Melbourne spent big and were expected to win.

I'd say the 5 year deal is really 3 back ended with options.

Also, if you don't sign Joey who do you sign...are there any other good coaches available out there ready to step up and do a better job?

Reply #632520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. Randle was so cheap what utter BS.

Reply #632525 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

"Also, if you don't sign Joey who do you sign...are there any other good coaches available out there ready to step up and do a better job?"

Vickerman and McLeod are two that come to mind.

Reply #632526 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Also Shawn Dennis

Reply #632527 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Cal Bruton

Reply #632528 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Would a 3 year deal have got the job done?

If yes - why the need to uneccessarily lock yourself in.

If no - Id be a little concerned with any coach in the NBL would need 5 years...it's a league where you can reinvent yourself every 2 years.

No one's doubting Joey getting an extension- it just the length is amateurish and I'm guessing bites them on the bum.

Reply #632541 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Dont people remember the Marty Clarke days, would you all rather go back to them with a new coach

Dean D at Melbourne had the most expensive roster in the league this season, 2 NBA level imports, 2 Boomers and other good Aussies like Blanchfield, Barlow, etc. basically miss used every single one of them, just had one game plan of chuck up loads of 3s, and basically no one got better playing under Dean D, and they missed the playoffs.

Joey, had the youngest and cheapest roster in the league, no boomers, 1 NBA level import, just about every player has improved under his reign, who rated Sobey or Hodgson as starters on a playoff team prior to last season?, everyone tips them to come 7th or 8th, they come 1st in the minor round and 3rd overall, and people have the nerve to complain and say Joey didnt do a good job.

This is why Joey gets an extension and Dean D gets fired by Melbourne, its pretty obvious really

Maybe 5 years is a little long, but id much rather lock Joey in who has made the playoffs over 80% of the time in a decade (or more) long career, including 2/3 years at the 36ers, and never had a big budget to work with whilst he was here. Sounds better to me than trying the 'next great young coach' like Marty Clarke was supposed to be. You could argue it should be a 3 year contract, not 5, but at the end of the day if he makes playoffs the next 3-5 years im happy, and im fairly confident he will. Rememeber we dont have the $$$ compared to PErth, Melbourne, Sydney so winning titles and making grandfinals on a budget is tough, the fact he has done this proves his quality to me.

Not sure of McLeod or Dennis's availability, but neither are guaranteed upgrades on Joey anyway, so no need to make the change there.

Dean Vickerman was snapped up by Melbourne, which is a great move by the club, he is already the best coach they have had in 5-10 years. Also not guaranteed to be better than Joey aswell.

Reply #632544 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

How does anyone know who had the most expensive or cheapest roster? The salary figures were never released.

Reply #632545 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Captain Jack - if you rate success as making the semi-finals .....then I can see why you would be happy to have him.

Can we forget how pundits had Adelaide rated at the start of the season, going into the finals they had the MVP in JR (who was probably only matched by Cotton & Ware) with Sobey, Creek & DJ firing ....didn't even make the GF with HC advantage - sorry season can't possibly be rated as a success by us the NBL public or surely by Joey & the players.

Joey also took the chance on the Terrence, where you would of been better to get a state league warrior ....Joey also presided over the firing up of an opposition that took their game to another rubbing your face In it level.

There is enough to question whether Joey is the Messiah or just a good coach who got lucky.

2-3 years would of been enough to find out.

Reply #632547 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

So every coach bar Gleeson and Vickerman has been a complete failure in the last 4 years??

I call making the semis and getting to game 3 a success, the 3rd best team in the league, better than the 5 teams below them

If your in the top half of the coaches/teams how is that a failure?

If your only happy when you win the title, then hell you must be miserable most of your life (unless a perth/nz supporter), as not many other than perth or NZ have won titles in the last 5-10 years.

Im happy if a coach takes a team thats tipped to be cellar dweller to the semi finals, yes!

He won coach of the year for a reason.

Sure not perfect, but still fantastic

hell who you gonna replace Joiey with thats better anyway?

Reply #632550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares if everyone's predictions sucked during preseason. That doesn't reflect on a coaches' quality - it just means we all stunk at picking the closest season in history.

Reply #632552 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Are you serious??

How many times has a team as young as the 36ers done better than this years 36ers??

Do you know how many rookies they had??

LEts be real with our expectations people

Even if we had an expensive roster we aint gonna win the title or come higher than 3rd every season

Reply #632553 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Jack if my argument was sack him - then your post would make sense.

The actual point being raised is why 5 years?

Joey deserves another run but there is no coach in the league worthy of 5...including Gleeson (actually wanted to type especially Gleeson).

Reply #632555 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

5 years brings stability, you can argue it should have been 3, but he is a proven coach who makes playoffs most of the time, so whats the big deal? Possibly got him on cheaper deal over all too, ie they may have paid him say 1 mil for 5 years, where as he may have cost around 300k a year ie 900k for 3 years anyway, so its a more efficient deal and doesnt cost much more to have him the extra 2 years. Trade off of $$$ for some extra security. (numbers are made up to prove a point, not his actual salary numbers)

I was just refuting the people that are saying last year was a failure and Joey is a bad coach cos he didnt win the title and those who say Joey isnt a quality coach.

Also means we have him locked in, if we got him for 3 years, then in the next 3 years another team poaches him after he has regularly got the sixers into the playoffs, then we are potentially stuck with unproven coaches like the next Marty Clarke again. Id personally prefer to lock in the proven coach, even if he isnt perfect, (no one is)

Bevo and Gleeson both got 4 year deals.

AFL/NBA coaches often get 4-5 year deals

3 years or 5 years, for a proven coach like Joey i dont see the harm.

Reply #632556 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I actually like how many people don't like him. It will be great to see the 36ers go well and have all those people giving their keyboards a workout the sh!ts.

Reply #632557 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754