John
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Corey Webster

Corey Webster just signed with the cats.

Just received the email confirming this. Nothing on the Wildcats site yet though.

I guess Cotton is out of the picture now.

Here's hoping Prather comes back.

IMHO, if Corey is healthy in body and mind, then this is a great signing.

Topic #41122 | Report this topic

John  
Years ago

From the Email.

Perth Wildcats sign Corey Webster

Reigning back-to-back NBL Champions the Perth Wildcats have wasted no time in bolstering their roster for the 2017/18 season, signing star guard, Corey Webster.

The three-time championship player with the NZ Breakers parted ways with his former club this off-season, and the Wildcats leapt at the opportunity to make a world class addition to its back court.

The New Zealand international is looking forward to a fresh start in Perth.

"I can't wait to start playing NBL basketball again," said Webster.

“To be continuing my career at one of the best organisations going around, who have won three of the last four titles, is very exciting for me.

“I’m also looking forward to embracing the club’s community program. Overall, I’m ready to work hard both on and off the court.”

Corey Webster is a proven offensive threat, both as a shooter and a creator.

His career-high NBL tally of 39 points came just 16 months ago, where he dropped seven threes on Melbourne United at Vector Arena.

In 2015/16, he averaged 19.6 points and 2.3 assists per game.

In the lead up to that season, Webster was invited to train with NBA franchise the New Orleans Pelicans and even signed a three-year no-guarantee contract.

He played in three pre-season games with the organisation and impressed Pelicans coaches with his work ethic and shooting ability from range.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson, who’s coached against Webster for a number of seasons, said his game speaks for itself.

“Corey’s a world class shooter. One of the best shooters I’ve coached against. I’m real excited that he’s joining our squad. He’ll bring a different perimeter threat out there and I think he’ll fit well with us,” he said.

“We’ve played against him a number of times in the finals. To have that firepower on our team, combined with our defence, it’s going to open up a lot of avenues our guys.”

After recovering from the hip and back injuries which foiled his 2016/17 season, Webster is playing in the NZ NBL for the Wellington Saints this winter.

So far, he’s averaging 25.3 points, 4.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists per game with the Saints off to a 3-0 start to the season.

Reply #632365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dan from hoop.com.au said the deal had been done with Brisbane, I'm confused.

Reply #632369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic for the league: Perth will suffer with this signing.

Reply #632370 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like it.

It's obviously risky, but Perth is a great environment to potentially get him back to that high level again. Quality "locals" (non-imports) are always a valuable commodity so I'm pleased that Perth has added one.

Reply #632371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fantastic for the league: Perth will suffer with this signing."

Oh dear.

Reply #632373 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Damo and Webster on the same backcourt.. can't wait to see that.

Looks like Corey is getting his groove back in the NZNBL and with something to prove.

With three imports still to add, this is a big signing. Looking good.

Reply #632374 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

what no why

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Reply #632375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing, personally really like it. Like luuuc said, its always good to get another quality local on the roster and still have the 3 import slots open. Sounds like he's pretty keen to work hard, find his form and get his career back on track.

Reply #632379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey it's my opinion, Webster will be no good in Perth and could be a major disruption. This will intern lead to losing and the nbl will benefit because people are sick of the same team winning. This brings them back by virtue of hirsotry potentially repeating itself. Webster is toxic.

Reply #632380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Nathan of Perth clearly is tired of paying for finals tickets every year and can see the writing on the wall yet again with this signing

Reply #632383 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Hopefully he isnt just blowing smoke (pun intended) and is ready to get his career back on track and Perth's professionalism will be a perfect boiling pot (pun intended) for him to realise his potential again.

Reply #632384 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Corey isn't exactly new to this league - he knows you don't sign with the Wildcats if you're planning to coast through the season and put in 50% effort on and off the court.

Very excited about this signing!

Reply #632387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He would have to be a dope (pun intended) not to make the most of this oppot (pun intended) unity. Let me be blunt (pun intended) this might be his last chance. I hope to see more shooting and less passing it to his left hand side (pun intended) next season.

Reply #632388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This signing is a perfect marriage. You wanna (pun intended) wait and see what he can do before writing the Cats off.

Reply #632389 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

I wonder if this is a silent acknowledgement that we're zero chance of getting Cotton back (which I think most of us know anyway).

Reply #632391 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hey if it doesn't hash (pun intended) out, you could always do a Jaron. Not like you haven't done it before and Bendat can afford to smoke (pun intended) away a few hundred grand, its chump change for him.

Reply #632394 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Ok, did not see that one coming.

I haven't followed all the details, but I understand Webster has had some issues. So there is a risk. Hopefully he will get his act together.

Surely though he'd be considered a bench player for the Wildcats? But in any event its good to get some depth in the SG role.

Will Cotton be back? I think we all hope so, but suspect not. If not NBA, he'll be looking for a good European job. The Wildcats would be crazy to bank on his return.

We'll have to wait and see exactly what this means for the Wildcats Roster. Perhaps no other changes except for the Imports?

Reply #632397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mmmmmm ...Pizza Hut (pun intended)

Reply #632398 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

This makes me wonder how Corey Webster passed the Wildcats culture/values test.

I wonder if the other members of the team were brought in on the decision making process?

Reply #632400 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

"This makes me wonder how Corey Webster passed the Wildcats culture/values test.

I wonder if the other members of the team were brought in on the decision making process?"

While Marvin and Gleason would have ultimately made the decision, I find it unlikely that Damo, Hire, Wagstaff etc haven't at least been given the "whaddya think?". Even Jack Bendat himself.

The other thing is that some people DO manage to turn their lives around. It's bloody hard to do though, and you really need to be in the right environment for that turnaround to succeed. Without being obnoxious about it, one of the reasons for the Wildcats constant success, particularly in recent years, is that the core group provide that environment.

Reply #632402 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

The only thing I'm concerned about is we still maybe need that Cotton, Randle, Dillard, Ware type.

Not sure how the starting 5 will look but its a good problem to have.

Reply #632404 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

While Webster adds some much-needed perimeter shooting to the Wildcats, he wasn't the team’s first option. The Wildcats initially attempted to sign 36ers star, Nathan Sobey, after his breakout season, but the 26-year-old combo guard turned down the offer, sources said.

Perth Wildcats sign NBL championship-winning guard Corey Webster

Reply #632408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gain overwhelms the risk in this.

In any case, Corey knows the score and would have given the Wildcats people the confidence that his past behaviour will not be an issue when he joins the Wildcats.

So please don't cast any doubts people as it will make you look stupid.

Top signing!!! Another potential championship.... three consecutively !!!

Reply #632409 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Hopefully Kinny will be a good influence on Wibsta

Reply #632410 | Report this post

Dominos  
Years ago

Martin / Kenny
Webster / DKD
Import / Hire
Import / Wagstaff / Knight
Import / Brandt

Interestingly, a Jaron Johnson/Prather type import combo could work in this lineup.

Reply #632412 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Hopefully this means the return of Dunigan!

Reply #632415 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would've thought the Webster signing would be in place of a cheap 3rd import.

Reply #632416 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

No brainer really, very good shooter, something we can always use.I'm sure his contract would have clauses in it regarding off court behaviour. We had no trouble finding a replacement this year when we needed one, i'm sure we could find one for Corey if he plays up off court and we cut him

Reply #632417 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I would expect Walker to be in the lineup next season. *Shrugs*

Reply #632418 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

A lot harder to find a decent replacement local than a replacement import though!

Reply #632423 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Can't replace cotton but this kid can ball and shoot the rock with the best of them, stays mentally and physically fit should be awesome.

Still 3 imports to come, world class shooter added. Well done cats. Great start.

Reply #632424 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Shots have been fired.. lets see what the rest of the league does.

Reply #632426 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure about this one... I don't see it ending well.

Reply #632427 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Best Case Comparison: Rodman to Bulls

Reply #632429 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Wildcats sign Webster. He is a great pickup. If 36ers picked him up-oh that was a bad move with his legal issues. Already read Cats fans claiming title favouritism. Maybe wait until we see all clubs complete their rosters.

Reply #632431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Interestingly, a Jaron Johnson/Prather type import combo could work in this lineup."

Wow who would have thought that someone like Prather could be effective in an NBL lineup hey

Reply #632434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ Did lol :D

Reply #632438 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

They see me rollin'......

Reply #632439 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

"Martin / Kenny
Webster / DKD
Import / Hire
Import / Wagstaff / Knight
Import / Brandt"

I don't think Webster will be starting. I imagine he's been brought in to offer some depth in the SG role.

If we stick with 11 players, then I can see DKD being kept in his pseudo-development role, as the 11th man, otherwise I doubt he would survive the cut.

Be interesting to see which direction they go with their big import, but I would imagine the squad would look something like this:

Martin / Kenny
Import / Webster }
Import / Hire } DKD
Import / Wagstaff
Knight / Brandt

Reply #632447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the story behind DKD?

Reply #632449 | Report this post

Gotta say that Dan wasn't the only one who heard the Bullets news. In fact, Andrejs Lemanis and CJ Bruton got a verbal agreement from Webster's camp on Tuesday evening.

Once again, verbal agreements mean shit all in professional sports.

Reply #632455 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

I think he may have red-shirted a year at College.
He then played in Brazil for a few months. He was too old to be a Development Player so the Wildcats kept him around as a Training Player. When the quad expanded to 11 this season, he was added.

He's an ok outside shooter when he gets going, but didn't get many minutes this year. I see him playing a 2/3 type role.

Reply #632457 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Not without risk, but local talent in the prime age for a basketball player is hard to come by, good signing. The potential to add three imports to this core is rather intriguing.

The suggestion they went after Sobey makes sense however I am not convinced Sobey is there yet, a breakout season is nothing until it is solidified with another strong season and consistent post season play.

If Prather is not back I could almost see a mckay johnson combo filling out the starting lineup well. I know Johnson again, but as a 3 his rightful position in our league he would go fine. That also leaves another import spot up for grabs. I could see a starting power forward on the cards to reduce Knights minutes and maybe bring Knight of the bench.

Reply #632461 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Signing Webster is definitely worth the risk, especially for a team that has such a solid core group and can provide that structure both on the court and off that Corey would be craving...

Reply #632470 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If they keep an import spot spare, which I think they will, it's not a huge risk because they can replace him if things go awry off the court.

Brandt/Knight
Import/Wagstaff
Import/Hire
Webster/DKD
Martin/Kenny

Reply #632474 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I am amused by all of this talk about JJ returning to the 'Cats. He's been cut by the team twice. Do you think he's going to have faith in the organisation that gave him the best impression they could that they would keep him until the end of the season, only to cut (again) him as soon as something better came along?

The man would have to have a very low self-esteem to take another contract with the Wildcats.

Reply #632486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guarantee JJ will never play for the Wildcats again.

Reply #632487 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

You'd think with this signing that the Wildcats will do their research into replacements, but give Casey Prather until the last possible second to decide to come back.

Do that, bring McKay back, and you've got the core of the team that just won the championship, added the outside shooter and still got an import spot free to cover either Redhage's spot or injury.

Can't see any way JJ plays for the Wildcats again.

Reply #632496 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Anyone who even hints at the thought of Jaron Johnson returning to the NBL (let alone the Wildcats!) should just stop typing.

He'll never play outside of the USA ever again and I'm confident he probably won't even be playing professional basketball in 3 years or less.

Reply #632497 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm thinking that the import spot freed up by Webster will be used as Matty Knight insurance.
(take note, Mike Dunigan ;)

Reply #632498 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

The inner beast in McKay is starting to wake up.. will be happy to get him back.

Reply #632502 | Report this post

Dominos  
Years ago

Mike Dunigan to cats confirmed.

Reply #632503 | Report this post

Agent 15  
Years ago

Have we had any confirmation that Knight will play next season?

Reply #632509 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Let's hope he's not introduced to any Eagles or Dockers players!

Reply #632512 | Report this post

Indoorkite  
Years ago

"He'll never play outside of the USA ever again and I'm confident he probably won't even be playing professional basketball in 3 years or less."

What's your reasoning for thinking this? He seems to be putting up strong numbers in the d-league

Reply #632515 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

"He'll never play outside of the USA ever again and I'm confident he probably won't even be playing professional basketball in 3 years or less."

Agree with the first part, disagree with the second part.

Not sure how you can rule out a 24-year old still putting up reasonable numbers in the D-League as a goner in 3 years...

http://stats.nbadleague.com/player/#!/204189/gamelogs/

Reply #632516 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

"Mike Dunigan to cats confirmed."

Source? Not seen anything on Twitter or FB.

Reply #632523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its just a joke.

Reply #632529 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Any idea on the length of his contract? Best off season signing in off season that's not a import since we got damo and wagstaff and knight.

Reply #632534 | Report this post

Brett M  
Years ago

I suspect we'll see McKay back.

Reply #632535 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

This is a big risk because you just don't know which Corey Webster is going to show up.

And the Wildcats don't take BS from their players, examples include David Bailey and Steve Leven.

Reply #632536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any examples from the past decade?

Reply #632539 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

You don't pick the Cats if you think you're in for an easy ride.

His numbers in the NZBL are looking pretty good and any back court pairing with Damo has to be able to shoot.

Reply #632548 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Why wouldn't Johnson return to the NBL?
If players took offence to an entire league after being cut, some would have very short Careers - or all be playing in Uzbekistan.

He didn't fit well at the Wildcats but he is still a good player by NBL standards. Depending on how much money he wants, he'd be a good fit for some teams - either as a SF - even as an SG with the right PG partner - or for a team that already had local talent and were looking for a bench player.

Reply #632549 | Report this post

Pizza Hut  
Years ago

Many assuming Webster has been signed as a starter? I'm not so sure?

He's not Cotton quality, not even Beal. Why would the Cats settle for going backwards? Plus Martin is getting older and so is Kenny. Last year showed that the Wildcats are vulnerable to injuries there.

Webster is good player and a local, so teams would be nuts to pass that up - but doesn't mean he's a starter. Also he's a risk. If he's there as a bench player, and he stuffs up and gets cut, the damage is limited.

Plus I'm not fully convinced that DKD is up to speed yet.

And I don't see why the Wildcats would opt for only two imports based on current potential squad. If we stick with 11 players they would need to find an extra local - and I doubt they would sign Walker or Wroe in prefernce to an import.

Reply #632551 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Best off season signing in off season that's not a import since we got damo and wagstaff and knight.
Those weren't all in the one off-season.

Reply #632554 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Nope, he joined in 2010.

Reply #632558 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Many assuming Webster has been signed as a starter? I'm not so sure?

He's not Cotton quality, not even Beal. Why would the Cats settle for going backwards? Plus Martin is getting older and so is Kenny. Last year showed that the Wildcats are vulnerable to injuries there.

I'm only guessing that he's signed as a starter, but that's what seems the most likely to me.
I think he's roughly on par with Beal, and potentially better, and remember we won 2 titles with Beal as a starter.

Plus, isn't there a hard salary cap on a team's bench players? Webster would not come cheap.
He's not Cotton-quality, but neither is ... well, pretty much anyone ... so that's not really a fair bar to set.
Bringing him off the bench is a nice thought, don't get me wrong! but I don't know how realistic it is.

Reply #632559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Plus, isn't there a hard salary cap on a team's bench players?
There's a hard cap on a group of five, IIRC. I'm not aware of any rule stating that those five have to start on the bench, and even if they did the sixth bench player wouldn't be included in that.

He's not Cotton-quality, but neither is ... well, pretty much anyone ... so that's not really a fair bar to set.
Frankly I don't understand why we're not trying to recruit Westbrook.

Reply #632560 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Cousins out in 3 months, mmm this could be interesting!!

Reply #632618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754