Daltonfor3
Years ago

Commonwealth Games

I saw an ad for tickets to Comm Games next year on Gold Coast. The games are in April so obviously our NBA players won't play so what would our squad look like?
Also given not only NBA games but other leagues still operating does anyone know of any countries that might put together a decent squad?

Topic #41144 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Lisch/Gibson/Cadee
Goulding/Sobey
Newley/Creek
Bairstow/Johnson
Andersen/Jawai/Hodgson

Reply #632738 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The 2018 Commonwealth Games will probably play out much the same as the 2006 ones did: Australia will walk in, even with NBL talent, with a Dream Team level talent advantage over almost everyone, with the only possible hiccups being Great Britain and New Zealand.

And seeing as both teams will be without their NBA players as well, and without their Euro players presumably, I can't see them troubling Australia too much at all.

Zodiac's Boomers squad looks spot on, or close enough.

Reply #632740 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Gibson / Cadee both over D Martin ?
Ogilvy over Jawai ?

Reply #632741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada are the favourites imo.

Reply #632742 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Canada without their NBA players? Canada's pro league is not very good. I think if it's a battle of the pro-league also-rans the NBL and Australia will have them beat convincingly.

Reply #632743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin/Norton
Lisch/Goulding/Sobey
Newley/Creek
Anderson/Johnson/Bairstow
Ogilvy/Mathiang

Reply #632744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are forgetting the Canadians in Europe.

Reply #632745 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well if you include Canadians in Europe - and I don;'t think you do because I am pretty sure April is during most Euro seasons - then you also have to include Australia's European players. In that case it remains hard to give Canada the favorites tag.

Reply #632746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who do we have in Europe? Motum, broekhoff, Madgen, steindl, jois.

Broekhoff would be handy.

Reply #632748 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Very Old, Yes. Gibson is a more well rounded player than Martin and with Lisch there no real need for an aging and declining Martin so take a flyer on Cadee who can once in a blue moon get insanely hot.

I left out Ogilvy because Lemanis doesn't rate him highly enough to even include him initial squads.

Reply #632749 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Playing basketball in the Commonwealth Games, particularly at that time of year, is a bit of a joke.

What exactly is the point of seeing which country's third string team is better than the others? Ignoring anyone who will be playing in continental Europe, who also will not be available at that time of the year, the NBA omissions are:

Australia (FIBA men's ranking 10th): 7 NBA players
Canada (ranking 24th): 12 NBA players
Nigeria (ranking 16th) 3 NBA players
New Zealand (ranking 20th): Steven Adams
England (ranked 22nd when playing as Great Britain, which they won't be): Luol Deng

No other Commonwealth countries feature in the top 50 FIBA men's rankings. Cameroon (ranked 52nd) could be interesting with its 3 NBA players, but they won't be there either.

Basically it will be the Oceania championship all over again using only NBL/NZNBL players.

Reply #632750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This may be the last ever Commonwealth Games. No one is interested in hosting them.

Reply #632751 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

IMHO the problem with Gibson, is he is so well rounded, that he is inconsistent. Will he give you great ( or just average) service today in points , rebounds, assists or steals ?. He rarely does more than one of these a very high level each game , and I have seen little to make me think that he produces what is required in that game, or what is required to be delivered, because another player is unaccountably being sub-par in thst game. or because the other team is being unexpectedly good at something.

With martin its very clear what he will do, and he generally does those things at a higher level, and more consistently than Gibson.

Gibson seems to blame others for things going bad, while martin seems to just try to get on with the job and fix them.

Reply #632752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8 players

Mills
Dellavedova
Exum
Ingles
Simmons
Baynes
Bogut
Maker

Reply #632753 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I hear you Very Old and Gibson has had plenty of chances I know but like the flirt that he is showed he's still got it when he had that really good stretch with the Bullets last season.

Like Beal (horrible pairing) he's consistently inconsistent but when he turns it on and decides to get serious he leaves all the local PG's in his wake (bar Lisch). Just prefers to coast too much but for this mickey mouse tournament I say have another look at him.

Reply #632756 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I think Gibson will really be slowing down by 2018.

Reply #632757 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah not really looking at Gibson as an option here. I don't know how long a player has to be lackluster for before people actually count them out of things like this. Mitch Norton has similar skills but is at least young enough to maybe surprise in such a tournament.

Reply #632758 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

You think Gibson will be slowing down... in one year from now?

As a Sixers fan, I have been as frustrated as anyone by Gibson's inconsistency and failure to take the next step. It just seems he doesn't have the mentality or killer instinct to be 'the guy'. I can remember a two game stretch when Wilson(?) was out injured where Gibson was amazing. It was reasonable to think that he had finally got it. But then he went back to below mediocre when Wilson came back.

To give him credit though, the exact criticism Very Old (that he is too well-rounded) makes is also why he has been a solid (but not exceptional) role player for the Boomers in several tournaments. He won't be one of your stars, but as a bench guard he will be inoffensive, won't turn the ball over much, and will just do what needs to be done to allow the other players to be the stars.

Reply #632784 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Hi all, expect to see an "Emerging Boomers" lineup at the Commonwealth Games which was indicated in media comms following Lemanis' appointment.

Based on previous "Emerging Boomers" teams, this could well end up being like a World Uni Games type squad of potential future Olympians or World Cup players.

Reply #632790 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have no problem with the emerging boomers idea. The commonwealth games are a farce really

Reply #632799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754