Anonymous
Years ago

2005 Junior Coach/Referee of the Year

Remembering the days when BASA cared about Juniors ...

State Champs included MVP's plus an award for the best Junior Coach of the year and Male and Female Referee of the Year.

With that in mind what would everyone's thoughts be on such an award.

Firstly Junior Coach of the year. Probably a little unfair and better in three catergories:

- Junior Coaching Director or State/SASI coach.

- Division One Coaches.

- Division Two and below Coaches.

Also based on your own experiences who would you consider the best referees you've had on your Junior games this year. Try and stay positive....

Topic #4117 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

me

Reply #47846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

District div 1 coaches - it would have to be between Wayne Beumont, Boti Nagy and Neil Gliddon.

Below div one coach - Scott Freer Hands down. With TCP only 2 inches shorter than him... behind him, sorry.

(Mod: A little basketball for an anonymous post -- such a waste!)

Reply #47851 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

ahhhhhhhhhh

damn it!

you just gave me that to spite me isaac!

Reply #47853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

neil gliddon doesnt coach anyone only sasi i think

Reply #47856 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

I see Mrs Freer is posting anonymously now..! (#47851)

Reply #47858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon - (#47856).

Neil coaches the Eastern Mavericks U 18 Girls. He has coached them since easter (there abouts), and led them to a gold medal at the classics (as well as wayne's u 12 sturt girls).

Reply #47859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the Div 2 and below category, how abot the fuzzy haird wonder from Sturt? Jarrod Clarke has lead his team to Summer & State Champs titles, while also having good results playing in A grade at Nunawading.

Div 1 coaches.... I think Gliddon for taking the Mavs girls to 1st at Classics, Mesecke for taking his girls to 2nd, would both have to be considered. The fact neither team has had consistent seasons in the local competition is probably a slight nagative though, as is the fact Eastern 'borrowed' an U16 for their Classics victory.

I think Wayne Beaumont has had another stellar season, not only taking out Summer & State Champs, but also Classics. The only blemish has been losing 2 (possibly 3?) times to the Boti Nagy lead Forestville team in the local competition.

I think Dave Laurie (F'Ville U18 div 1 boys) also deserves a mention, for leading his team to a Summer season title, and 5th place at Classics. Certainly a good result, along with a 2nd place at the Norwood Carnival. The only drawback was a horror weekend in May.

Reply #47864 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

Boti Nagy (F/Ville 12g1)
Wayne Beaumont (Sturt 12g1)
Michael Humphrys (Sturt 16b1)
Ben Gliddon (Sturt 12b1)
Dean Nyberg (F/Ville 18b2)
Kym MacDonald (Sturt 16g2)
Mrs. Vink (Norwood 16g2)

Reply #47884 | Report this post

Stu gles  
Years ago

Matt - its a nice guesture putting Mrs. Vink in there as a token representative from another club, but you and i both know there is only 2 clubs in this league.

Reply #47899 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Stu, thats a very harsh call.

I think every club has its fair share of coaches who have had good years.

Damian Weeks (16 girls Norwood) for ALMOST getting gold with the S.A. Metro u18 girls side.

Nathan Durant (14 boys North) for proving the Rockets will at the very least compete at this years U14 Nationals with a number of good results against the name teams.

Lynne Holland (16 girls Woodville) for once again proving she can build a side from a group no one else wants.

Peter Ali (12 Boys West) He's achieved plenty as a player and administrator and it's great to see a guy like this giving something back to kids of this age, and helping develop a very competive side.

Don Shipway (14 Boys South) Ok so they haven't been overly impressive but again credit to a legend giving back to the game at grassroots level.

Jason Balfour (14 Girls Tigers) Despite critisim year in year out, again put together a side who will push for a premiership in 2005.

James Rattus (16 Boys Eastern) Once again teaching boys the skills they need to not only develop now but be prepared for senior careers down the track.

And two from Sturt and Forestville who weren't mentioned above ... Paul Arnott (Forestville) and Scott Butler (Sturt). No explainations necessary.

Reply #47900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt,

Certainly not questioning any of your 'nominations', but was just wondering if you could expand on the achievement of their teams? Or if someone else can? RJ perhaps?

To the casual observer, names don't mean much. I think it's easier to put into perspective if you could tell us what they've achieved, similar to RJ's post above, and another anonymous' further up.

Reply #47915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Coach: Damien Weeks.

Highest place finish at natioanls.

SASI/ITC: Paul Arnott

Assists with the bottom age group as well as top age U/16. We will see the results of the work he did this year in U/18's in a couple of years.

Division 1 Coach: Wayne Beaumont

Winner: Summer Season
Winner: Easter Tournament
Winner: State Champs
Winner: National Junior Classic

Lower Division Coach: Tie

Dean Nyberg / Jarrod Clarke

Both looking for perfect seasons.

Reply #47933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you determine who is the best coach etc if you don't establish the criteria against which best is measured.

Does good results mean good coach?

Does significant improvement with basically the same personnel mean good coach?

As an example, and I am in no way implying that Paul Arnott is not a great coach, but how can you measure that on 2005 performances. a) F/V u16b1 miss finals
b) As said by Anon outcomes of his efforts with SASI will only be known in a couple of years.

I personaly would base this assessment on significant improvement and development.

Reply #47942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not like this is a real award. You can determine it anyway you want. Personally I wouldn't consider having a perfect season makes you the best coach, especially when even Isaac could probably be undefeated with the talent Clarke and Nyberg have.

(Sorry Isaac just making a point, I'm sure youd make a fantastic coach.)

Remember junior coaches do so for FREE and most receive nothing but critisim for what they do. At least this has been positive and at worst a little ego boost for those involved.

Reply #47943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Offence to Damien Weeks but he had the players to finish with GOLD, and only got secon. As SA finished in the Classic with 1st and 2nd. Under 18 Girls should have won Gold. Do you blame the Team or must the Coach take a bit of the responsibility?

Reply #47946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and of those teams that came first and second at classics he had TWO players!! The classics result has NOTHING to do with that SA side.

It's a shame they played one of their worst games in the Grand Final. No one's fault, just the way it was ...

Reply #47947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #47943,

I think I'd have to disagree that anyone could coach either the F'Ville U18 B2s or Sturt U16 B2s to perfect (or near perfect) years. While Clarke's team is talented, they have some pretty strong competition in Norwood, West, North & even Sturt (2). The fact they knocked off Eastern's div 1's in Nunawading is testament to the fact that Clarke has prepared his bottom-age heavy team for playing U16 1's next year. Again, the F'Ville U18 2's are obviously talented, but have competed favorably against an equally-talented Sturt team, featuring a few SASI players, as well as a div 1 caliber coach in Liam Flynn.

I'd suggest that both coaches have done a good job. It's not always easy to be favorites! However, this sort of thing is subjective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions. As you suggested, this has been a positive thread so far, and it's probably best kept that way. Let's focus on the fact our girls got silver, instead of laying blame for the fact they just missed out on gold.

Are their any people who are coaching a div 3/4/5 team that you think deserves a mention? I'm sure there are some good coaches in the lower divisions that never get any credit or recognition for the time and effort they put in.

There have been plenty of anonymous posts in this thread. I recall there being a poll done before on this forum, on a similar topic. I guess if people want to get an actual consensus on who the public think are the best coaches in each category, perhaps someone could organise another of those polls? I wonder if many or any of the results would have changed.

Reply #47948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynne Holland has put in a lot of time and effort with the Woodville Club. Lynne has worked hard with her under 16 girls and is now seeing some fruits for her labour. Not only does Lynne coach these girls but also Under 20 Boys as well. Coaches like Lynne don't come around every day and I as I am sure many people agree thank her.

Reply #48001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynne for PM!

Reply #48017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldnt go that far

Reply #48018 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Anon #47948

Here are my meaningless thoughts. In the examples above I think we're talking about two teams in similar situations; but two coaches in very different situations.

In Jarrod's case with the Sturt 16 2's he's been given 12 months to mould a group which will make up the majority of the Sturt Division One side in 2006. A side that in 2004 went to a National Club Championships. There's obviously a lot of superior talent there to work with. As far as I am aware the only reason Clarke has this team is because of Sturt's rotation process, as he's been a Division One coach at two clubs for a long time.

In the other situation you have a very deep and talented pool of Under 18 boys at Forestville with which to work with. After a successful rookie season in 2004 Nyberg was given the opportunity to work with a Division Two side and more importantly (I think) the opportunity to learn from a Division One coach. On paper the talent at his disposal is unequalled by any team in that competition (I don't care what the Sabre people try and tell me). This is the end result of the atmosphere the Eagles Junior program has created, deep age groups and not just deep/talented Division One sides.

From the little I've seen this year I personally wouldn't have a problem mentioning either coach in a thread like this, I wouldn't though use the fact that both have a Zero in the losses column (can you have a 'perfect season' with a draw!?) as proof of their abilities.

There are plenty of very talented coaches who have struggled for wins in 2005.

Reply #48085 | Report this post

enjoythegame  
Years ago

HOW DO YOU PICK COACH OF THE YEAR? SOMEONE THAT WINS EVERY GAME OR SOMEONE THAT TEACHES THE JUNIORS THE THINGS TO TAKE THE NEXT STEP eg. BETTER "D" ,TEAMWORK,BETTER BALL HANDLING ect.SOME OF THE TOP TEAMS COULD BE COACHED BY ANY ONE AND STILL WIN BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALLREADY GOT VERY GOOD PLAYERS THAT HAVE TACKEN THAT NEXT STEP

Reply #48093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you find the caps lock key???

do you have a picture for this Isaac?

Reply #48095 | Report this post

Go O  
Years ago

settle down "enjoy the game" its not worth yelling at us....

Reply #48100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #48103 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Would love to be at the pub when
"enjoythegame" walks in, he'd obviously "shout" the bar.

Also should be careful about players "TACKEN" that next step.

It would be possible to run a coach of the year award, but it would mean more paperwork and i beleive the majority of coaches dont coach for recognition, but because they simply enjoy it.

Reply #48173 | Report this post

Jennings  
Years ago

well any talk of referees???
is there any good ones??? not at the dome or port ne ways jees dont get me started

Reply #49412 | Report this post

Rolling  
Years ago

what do you mean "dont get me started" when you started the topic..... and yes there are some good junior refs - my tip is matt coombe or vanessa devlin.

Reply #49414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Years ago (maybe 4-5yrs) there was a ref from Port adelaide who was really good. When the boys made a mistake or were fouled he would take the time to explain what they did wrong. This was for an under 12 team I think. Have never seen him umpire again which is a shame as he was very fair and I think very good for the players.

Reply #49417 | Report this post

Unmentioned so far for reffing is Jarrod Cresp, he has come a long way this year and it isn't a rare thing to see him doing U20M on a Friday night. Funny thing that, considering he is currently a level 0 umpire doing his level 1's. However he has earnt that placing every step of the way. He's one to watch out for in the years to come, helluva nice guy too.

Reply #49554 | Report this post

ROCKY II  
Years ago

Mate,
u guys missed some key coaches like....
KEVIN ROCK 16 2 BOYS
BARRY MANSFEILD 14 1/2 GIRLS
MARC WALLIS 18 GIRLS ALL
BRENTON JOHNSTON 16 GIRLS 1S
AND DENNIS ODEA 10'S ALL GIRLS
(north coaches )

OH AND NATHAN DURRANT IS THE BEST COACH EVER HE IS A CHAMP U NEED TO PICK HIM HE ROX HE'S GIVEN THE GUYS A GR8 CHANCE AT NATIONALS. GO BOYS
ROK ON
!RYAN PETERS IS HOT!
HE is soo good at bball st8 man!

Lil Rocy
Rocky II

Reply #51766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marc Wallis? He quit half way through the season. Dennis is a great coach!

Reply #51769 | Report this post

Rocky II,
Spare us the Nathan ranting, if you think he is good, put him on your list, don't go on and on otherwise people may not take you seriously.
I think that all the above mentioned coaches are good but what about coaches under div 2?

Reply #51777 | Report this post

CoolPro  
Years ago

Nathan is a great coach except when he gets thrown out of tournaments.

Reply #51792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did they give out coach/referee of the year at presentation

Reply #51978 | Report this post

Caps Un-Locker  
Years ago

To RockyII pls refer to diagram provided by anon.....

Caps Lock...... Adriennnnnne.....

Reply #53932 | Report this post

Thank u BASA for looking after the runners up for grand finals, summer & winter, also State champs, its great to see 2 teams come to the finals, & always there's got to be a winner & loser, winner gets a trophy & runners up a medal, maybe BASA should give the runners up in the past years their medals too, I was a runners up in 2 season, 2 yrs ago, I am glad we are finaly recognised, Hooray to BASA

Reply #53940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep , ta BASA, both g/f teams was recognised,

Reply #53943 | Report this post

+  
Years ago

did we reach a decision ? Ive been waiting for ages.......

Reply #519040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754