It will be interesting to see where he plays

Topic #41177 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney kings?

Reply #633400 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

^ Not that quick yet anon. He's going to enter the NBA draft. Maybe if that doesn't work out.

Reply #633401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do Kentucky have big men incoming that would potentially take playing time away from Humphries next season?

Reply #633402 | Report this post

BOB  
Years ago

2.8 ppg in 8 minutes per game is not going to get to much interest , Sydney would be a good option especially now Khazzough has gone.

Reply #633403 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

Seems an odd decision if true..

Reply #633404 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

It is true. Isaac and Coach Cal are in an article about his decision.

I don't care where he goes, as long as he gets at least 15mpg in his first pro season

Reply #633406 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/nba-draft-2017-isaac-humphries-of-kentucky-university-australian-sevenfooter-declares-for-draft/news-story/d9524c5b9b2c5e34b5e84946f039eace

No way that he gets an NBA gig, at this stage

Reply #633408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702997-burning-questions-for-college-basketballs-2017-april-signing-period

This is probably why Humphries is leaving

Reply #633412 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Hope he gets drafted...a lot can happen between now and the draft. Realistically though, Europe would be a good option and then try the NBA - he is only 19.

Reply #633413 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

LC Does he have a European passport?

Reply #633414 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I don't believe he has a dual passport.

He would have to play as an import in Europe like Bolden has been if he went down that path.

Reply #633441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have left a long time ago.

Reply #633474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe he's going to Europe and I agree he should have left long ago.

From a basketball playing perspective, through lack of opportunities, this year was a waste go Isaac.

US College, not what its cracked up to be!

Reply #633476 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see where he ends up. Hope he gets drafted

He is a slim chance to get drafted late in 2nd round. His performance in the Elite Eight no doubt provided that slim window of opportunity.

IMHO, its a very bad gambit by him. A breakout performance even in a big stage like that may not be enough to convince teams late in the draft to gamble on him, even if he signs with the most networked agent in the NBA. He will have to absolutely impress them during workouts and interviews.

There will be many questions and scrutiny on why he was in so much foul trouble in his two seasons with the Cats. Is it a coachability issue? Calipari isn't a bad coach mind you.

He could withdraw before June 23 and re-enter later. He's only 19 and got plenty of time. Best scenario would be to play 2-3 pro seasons, get into a team with a coach that will help tear up the league and enter the draft at 21-22 years of age.

Europe is the better choice for scouting prospects but may become as risky as Kentucky with regards to playing time. If the coach isn't enamoured by him, he won't get the opportunity to shine. The NBL isn't half bad at the moment to get scouted, the league got a bit of notoriety last season after chewing and spitting out a few NBA prospects/alumni, but his opportunity is pretty much limited to the Kings which may suit him as he's a Hobbit. Just have to convince Gaze to keep feeding him the ball to pad the stats.

Reply #633479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So a player who can't get a good run at college level,and when he does get on isn't producing is going to now get picked up by an NBA team .....my god what planet do these kids and their advisors live on

Reply #633509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They're all at Dreamworld on the Gold Coast.

Reply #633532 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I blame the agents and advisers for putting unrealistic dreams into their heads.

Reply #633537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a topic when he first signed with Kentucky about the pros and cons. Most of the pros were about being with a large program, coaching, exposure, results of players drafted despite being a bench player.
Biggest con from memory was not getting minutes and getting lost in the system which it looks like he has been.
I really think he should transfer, sit out the year and showcase himself at a mid major. I'm sure someone like Gonzaga would grab him and give him minutes to show himself. Like everyone says, he's only 19, if he had a Euro passport maybe, but otherwise the best he can hope for is a gig in NBL and hope to go to training camp in a few years.
Starting to highlight signing with a big program like Froling did as well is not what it's cracked up to be. Better to be a big fish in small pond like Baynes and Bairstow will give you better chance at getting into league.

Reply #633601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He should be going to st Mary's to replace Landale after senior season.

Reply #633602 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And sit out 12 months due to transfer rules? You have to be kidding.

Reply #633607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bogut is a good example of what Humphries should've done. He went to a decent college where he was going to be the alpha male and then excelled in that environment. He was never going to show his skills at Kentucky

Reply #633608 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

I don't think you can blame agents and advisers on his call to leave and go pro. He didn't get time on court. Simple. He wants to play and he has an upside a pro team will sign him for whatever role he wants.
I suspect, he wants to show someone who has faith that he can play and that the two years weren't a waste because of his association with one of the best college coaches ever.
Good luck to him, he may not get drafted. Pfft, even if he gets drafted in 2ND round, he won't be playing in the NBA. There is a lot of draft and stash going on anyway. I actually suspect possible kings signing but I have no basis of it being true as I think they cleaning house for next season. Then he'll go Europe.

Reply #633609 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Transferring to a smaller program in a weaker conference has 2 negative connotations. Firstly, the impression that he can't perform in an elite environment. This will almost certainly lower his draft chances. Going pro in a league deemed to be on-par with elite NCAA conference will not.

The second, as said, you have to sit out a year. Besides his size, his age is a precious commodity if you want to get drafted. You don't want to waste that.

Reply #633611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I haven't seen anything humphries has done to compare him to Bogut, Bogut was athletic beast for a 7 ft player when drafted. Humphries has not shown anything at colledge.

Reply #633628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with sitting out for a year, he's 19, got into Kentucky early. Why not train for a year, have one really good junior season and hopefully get a first round pick. Problem with today everyone thinks unless you're one and done you're no good. Tim Duncan had a pretty good career after four years at Wake. Why not go into the league with a tonne of minutes under belt. No-one is going to draft a 7 footer with limited exposure unless he has Porzingis like skills.

Reply #633677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Finally some common sense ^^^

Reply #633684 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well you can put to rest those ideas of returning to college.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/4/19/15362996/isaac-humphries-signs-agent-projected-recent-nba-mock-draft

Same agent for Venky Jois, Jonah Bolden and the very same one involved in that hullabaloo with Jerome Randle and the 36ers.

Other mock drafts haven't rated him yet so either he's not yet on their radar or they don't fancy his chances. Even that Kentucky journo didn't think he's got a good chance.

Reply #633910 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I thought Jerome was with the same agency but a different actual agent?

But definitely the same agent as a bunch of other NBL players like Cam Gliddon, Goulding, etc, plus Aron Baynes as well, so he's probably in pretty good hands...

Reply #633911 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I thought Jerome's was Zach but the Fox Sports article on that Jerome saga mentioned that Dan was his agent so they may not be exclusively tied to one particular agent within the agency.

Reply #633913 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

NBADraft.net has Humphries being selected ta pick #46, with Bolden one earlier at 45.

Humphries has averaged 10min across two seasons at KY; he wants to play. Sitting out a year was not a serious option for him.

Reply #633916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm surprised they have him projected that highly.

Reply #633917 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

If his motivation is primarily playing time then his pro options would be minor/2nd tier Euro leagues, Asian or NBL. He won't get much time in NBA or top Euro leagues.

If on the odd chance, he does get drafted then he probably will get sent to the D-league with minimal contract and may be 'loaned' out to other leagues, or he may have his draft right stashed but left to his own to carve out a contract somewhere.

I still think its slightly better that he withdraw this year, turn pro somewhere he can show his game that lured KY then re-enter when it looks like he might get into 1st round as that's guaranteed. The NBL didn't seem to affect Ferguson draft stock much, so that says a lot about their opinion of NBL pedigree. Ferguson also had stat lines in the NBL comparable to Humphries.

Reply #633921 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think Humphries game is more suited to Europe in any case. If he can go anywhere near to replicating what Jonah Bolden has done this past season, he will do well.

Reply #633928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst decision to go to Kentucky, got caught up with all of Caliparis hype, now will go undrafted, which may help him in picking a team he may fit in. Spurs maybe.

Reply #634040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754