Flash Maguire
Years ago

36ers imports

If the 36ers are smart they will go after a veteran NBA baller who is ready to finish up in the NBA & would bring in some more members

How about Metta World Peace

Topic #41182 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

or not...

I think they should be looking at something like;

1. Jerome Randle / Kevin Dillard / Ryan Boatright
2. Ramone Moore
3. Ekene Ibekwe

Reply #633423 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

No they shouldn't get a washed up x NBA player.

Josh Powell was a perfect example of why you don't go that direction.

Reply #633426 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Maybe give Ebi Ere another shot?

Reply #633428 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The best imports always have something to prove. Jerome Randle had a bee in his bonnet about not making the NBA. Casey Prather and James Ennis still wanted to make it. Rotnei Clarke had always been talked down for being the little guy.

What does an ex-NBA player have to prove if they've completed a full and successful career and they have no real aspirations left? Steve Blake and Josh Powell came here for a holiday and treated the experience the way most of us would treat our social teams. Childress seemed to want to perform more but he was always injured. Recent history has shown us that ex-NBA guys at the end of their careers, and who have not shown and proved in Europe recently as in the case of Boone, do not play well here.

Reply #633436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet Boone has been Re-signed.

Reply #633437 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

That was my point. Boone has since played in Europe and shown that he is still hungry.

Reply #633438 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

ME, your statement "Recent history has shown us that ex-NBA guys at the end of their careers, and who have not shown and proved in Europe recently as in the case of Boone, do not play well here." can also be interpreted as Boone has not shown and proved in Europe and did/will not play well here.

Reply #633442 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Jermaine Beal will be going cheap :)

Reply #633448 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Steve Blake was training hard, he was only here for 1-month and was starting to play well. He didn't come here for a holiday. Josh Powell wasn't used well either.

Reply #633505 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Blake and Powell were terrible. Are you seriously suggesting they weren't?

Reply #633506 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

At point guard we pretty much need a Randle 2.0. Another dynamic player with the ability to create at will, I like Dillard at this spot but I trust Joey to find a gun here, maybe someone younger and try to lock them up long term.

For the combo guard, we need another who can consistently get buckets but also take the reigns at PG in spurts, Ramone Moore would be great here, he was extremely under utilised at United. He's a good all around offensive player and can play 1 through 3.

For the big man spot, a big bodied 6"8 guy, with a versatile skill set would fit perfectly. Someone I've come across is Allonzo Coleman who plays in Finland. Can shoot it, handle, rebound, pass and defend, he's very mobile and would suit how we play.

Reply #633512 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I actually don't trust Joey to find a gun to replace Randle. His track record is not very good for players who aren't already known entities. The way I see it is we either get Jerome Randle back or we could be lumbered with some sort of Jarryd Frye level type/

Reply #633514 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

I disagree ME. I know for certain that Frye, Montreal, Jacobsen, Ere were all budget imports, Randle was cheap in his first year.

If Grant Kelley puts his money where his mouth is, Joey will have the funds to find a gun guard who can fill Jerome's shoes and retain them for the long term.

Reply #633516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second that in regards to Joey finding decent imports. He hit the lottery with Randle and it got him a 5 year contract! But overall he has brought in some shockers, Krispy Kreme Ere the worst of the lot.

Reply #633517 | Report this post

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

The Ere Era *giggles to myself* was the season after the club almost folded. Any other year he would've been replaced.

In addition to my earlier post, someone who I would take over Moore would be Trevis Simpson. Was rumoured to be in talks with Adelaide last season, a great athlete and complete offensive player.

Reply #633518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ere is playing on Europe - French division one.... did he lose weight?

Reply #633534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in

Reply #633535 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

36ers imports under Joey:

Gary Ervin
Jarrid Frye
Jamar Wilson
Daequon Montreal
Ebi Ere
Kenyon McNeail
Jerome Randle
Terrance Ferguson
Eric Jacobsen

Reply #633542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey was never going to cut his boy. Just able to hide behind the $ situation.

Reply #633554 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

36ers imports under Joey:

Gary Ervin - proven
Jarrid Frye - budget
Jamar Wilson - proven, but better options available
Daequon Montreal - budget
Ebi Ere - budget
Kenyon McNeail - solid until injury
Jerome Randle - somewhat proven
Terrance Ferguson - budget
Eric Jacobsen - budget, but still solid

Not all that bad.

Reply #633556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide get more budget, or proven imports instead of stars... going to be long season of Joey excuses.

Reply #633558 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"If Adelaide get more budget, or proven imports instead of stars... going to be long season of Joey excuses. "

Probably the same guy that said we needed studs last year to be competitive....

Reply #633566 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

ME "His track record is not very good for players who aren't already known entities."

zzzzz which part of budget import do you not understand? The money was spent on Australian players. Why do they need to be unknown players? Are we trying to reinvent the wheel? Randle was unknown unless you are saying college players are the only unknown players.

During his 4 years as coach we have had 3 of our core imports at MVP level (Randle x 2, Wilson) and also Ervin was a quality import. Ere should have been cut but I imagine it was a no cut contract so unless someone wanted to fork out another 100k for a new import it was better to just keep him.

Reply #633570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brunson yeah I did and yes we did. Jerome Randle ring a bell?

Reply #633587 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

.. randle wants $800,000 ......
(36ers offered $300,000)

Reply #633662 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If true Randle can go jump then. I think he was on around $300k this past season and if in their shoes would be prepared to maybe go as high as $350k but any more than that see ya later.

Plenty of similar players out there that could be had for less than $300k but it looks like his agent has gone to the Julius Hodge school of contract negotiations i.e. pressure the club via the media when they're not bending to your ludicrous contract demands.

Randle hasn't got a hope of getting $800k out of any other club on the planet so good luck with that. We've been through all this prima donna bullshit with Hodge before I say just hang up the phone rule a line through him and start actively looking for a replacement now.

Reply #633666 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

I 100% agree, i also think chances are in 12 months time when he hasnt got his big bucks and hated playing over seas again, he will come crawling back and we will be able to pick him up for $300k or less if the 36ers decide they need/want him.

Many imports have done this thing and had this not work out

The grass isnt always greener on the other side

Re Joeys choice of imports/players in general, every time Joey has had more than say $150k to spend on a import or player, he has pretty much nailed it, he hasnt always got it right for the imports on 60-80k, but hasnt been totally wrong either, its un fair for people to expect guys like Montreal, Fry, etc to be as good as Wilson, Ervin, Randle types when they are earning half as much, its just unrealistic, and if you got one of those guys to be as good it would be the recruiting coup of the century. Name any player that joey has spent more than $150k on who has been a dud. The issue is lack of $$ available, cos they have spent on quality aussies, etc not lack of Joeys recruiting ability.

Joey is a good recruiter, and if he has $300k to spend on a quality point guard im confident he will get a quality player, im very glad the 36ers are making this stand and hope they stick to it.

Reply #633667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His agent has said he wasn't made an offer. So someone is lying. Staggering number to ask of any team in this league if true.

Reply #633670 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey already came out and said that was crap, the Sixers made him an offer late in the season and he rejected it.

Joey also said Randle was in the Top 3 highest paid players in the league last season and the offer they made would've kept him in the Top 5 highest paid players in the league.

Reply #633671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Joey is calling Randles agent a liar? Just because Joey says it doesn't mean his version of the truth is true. I'd say that fallout alone has sealed the deal Randle will never be back.

Reply #633672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His agent forgot to tell him a title helps in trying to go for anywhere close to a ridiculous payday.

Reply #633676 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754