Isaac
Years ago

Is Patty Mills a $12-18m/year player?

Suggestion in Olgun Uluc's latest piece, using info from "NBA executives", that Patty might be looking at $12-18m range as a free agent. Point guards in demand, etc.

Certainly get the impression that he's ready to break loose of that Spurs bench role, either taking over from Tony Parker, or running another team.

What do you think?

Topic #41225 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Story here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nba/nba-executives-reveal-how-much-upcoming-australian-free-agents-could-demand-in-2017-offseason/news-story/216434dcd0af1ecb14e02e6c369196e5

Reply #634315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the new NBA since revenue is up and player's are getting their share of it even though $12-18mil sounds and feels like a lot it isn't.

Reply #634316 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The way he played today that would be a steal.

Reply #634318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No spoilers please.

Reply #634319 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Please do not come to an internet basketball discussion forum and expect not to see discussions or hints of results of the sport of Basketball.

Reply #634320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Psst: Don't read a Patty Mills thread if you're avoiding Spurs spoilers.

For everyone else, Patty fired late and had a career playoff high of 20 points. 5/7 3P.

Reply #634321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But this isn't a game thread, but a general one about his future pay?

Reply #634322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No spoilers haha you twat! Spurs won by 13

Reply #634323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of us are at work. Game played during working hours. So most will watch highlights after work, or do you guys just do so at work? Lucky for some.

Reply #634324 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, you read internet forums while at work? Tut tut.

Reply #634325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep read text, not watching videos.

Reply #634326 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

^Arguing the extent to which he is not working while at work...

Reply #634329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Takes seconds to read/type. Watching highlights takes more time, unless watching pathetic few seconds legnth one which give you no context to the game.

Reply #634330 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Chill. Teasing you.

Reply #634332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:P

Reply #634333 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

He'd be a great fit in Chicago if they don't trade Jimmy Buckets .......the injury to Rondo has shown them up for zero depth in that position.

Reply #634334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'd be an even better fit in Philly as the point guard starting next to passing bigs in saric, simmons and embiid. He'd get so many good looks and whilst capable of running the team these days would be able to play to his strengths as a sniper.

Reply #634359 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

He won't leave the Spurs and they'll make him a respectable offer

Reply #634363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parker ain't got much left in him. No doubt mills will stay.

Reply #634365 | Report this post

Ryan McKee  
Years ago

He's definitely worth the money. I'm a Spurs fan but Im worried that the Spurs might not pay top dollar. I love Patty but I'm still unsure if he's a starting point guard, to me he's best coming off the bench to launch rockets. Some teams will offer some big coin for that type of guy.

I do think it's time for TP to come of the bench, maybe that play Dejounte Murray and let Patty walk. Patty deserves to get paid, his last deal was average due to coming off that shoulder injury.

Delly got paid, Patty is worth more.

Reply #634371 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Pretty sure his last deal wasn't that average, and was given a multi year deal that was agreed to before the injury.

Reply #634413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A distinction has to be made.

His last deal looks low compared to new deals being made now, but that is due to NBA earning more revenue and the new CBA sharing this increase with players.

Old deals from over a year ago vs. recent contracts will look poor. e.g. Delly deal was under new CBA.

Reply #634417 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Parker said before the start of the season he reckons he's got five years left in him so do you think Parker will be happy coming off of the bench for the next four years?

Reply #634421 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Patty would demand a bigger contract if he left Spurs, but if Popovich convinces him that he will be starting more in coming years and he gets a big enough contract, he may well stay.

It is a cultural thing at the Spurs going back probably even before Duncan and the big three, but if he feels he will sit behind Parker for five more years, he should reconsider his options at least.

Reply #634437 | Report this post

Ryan McKee  
Years ago

10 mill guaranteed over 3 years was average even back then. He was worth 4 to 5 mill, and there were plenty of teams willing to pay it, but he stayed loyal and got himself a ring, so I doubt he's complaining.

Reply #634469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Bear Re cultural thing at the spurs, Tim Duncan is credited with creating that culture with David Robinson because Pop could rip into them and if they copped it anyone could all egos were left at the door. Hard to say it was before Duncan when Buford wasn't there and Pop was only just starting out as coach

Reply #634475 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Why would Parker care about coming off the bench? It doesn't mean his minutes and stats are going to drop significantly, and then on top of that you have Popovich who will guide his ego.
I doubt Patty is going to walk away from the Spurs over a starting position and a couple million a season. They are going to continue giving him minutes and give him a much more profitable contract than he already has, plus he has solid financial investments from what I've heard. Doesn't strike me as the type to walk away from a dynasty like the Spurs

Reply #634496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754