Isaac
Years ago

Stadium developments in Adelaide

Boti has an item on his site today about a planned development for a 4-5 court stadium at Lightsview, plus other stadiums in the works.

Even before the first sod is turned at Lightsview, in October the St Clair redevelopment gets underway.

The new facility will have five FIBA standard courts including a show court, becoming the standard-bearer for quality venues in the western suburbs.
... a new four-court sports hub at St Francis De Sales at Mount Barker also is scheduled to be built this year.
Full article

Topic #41245 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

So good. especially for the smaller clubs of North and Woodville - god i hope this saves Woodvilles program.

The junior girls program is so at risk, they can barely enter two teams per age group, their 14 D1 girls just relegated after 2 weeks of smashings :(

This is just great!

Reply #634699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How will more courts save a program?

Reply #634700 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

so a failing Club gets gifted a stadium to save their shortcomings..

obviously doesn't pay to be a financially responsible Club these days

Reply #634701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have sent the money to Ballarat where it's really needed.

Reply #634702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or Frankston. Ballarat had plenty of money. Where did it go?

Reply #634703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey ain't that far away. Lol

Reply #634704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how it mentions the swish ARC, pity only 2 of the courts there are regulation, the rest are only good for shooting around on. Hopefully the new developments have a tape measure.

Reply #634706 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Because they will have the facilities to run a domestic/schools program which will highly likely feed into their district side.

A new stadium would very highly likely attract some new juniors to the club, or at least keep the ones who are there. Yes, people are fickle, people like shiny new things.

The council is building these new facilities for the good of the area, not "gifting" clubs.

Reply #634708 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

correct...

it's BSA gifting a stadium to a Club that somehow keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Reply #634710 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I do not understand this bullshit infighting?

My affiliation with a certain club is not going to see me sashaying around with some negative, elitest view that these clubs shouldn't have a new stadium built to accomodate the kids of the region and thus their club, grow up!.

Having 2 new 4 - 5 regulation court stadiums built in SA is excellent news, for everyone!. Who bloody cares who deserves what... life is unfair.

progress is progress and i welcome it.

Reply #634711 | Report this post

Cat1  
Years ago

How long before the club aska for another handout? Hopefully this cieling will hold up for them!

Reply #634713 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

More of the same. This is why nothing ever happens in Adelaide... I love the place but the negativity and resistance to progress is unbearable.

Reply #634715 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - City oif Port Adelaie Enfield statement about the Lightsview stadium is at https://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/lightsviewrechub.

Here's what it says about funding and Hillcrest's future.

"What is the expected cost of the new building?
The cost of developing such a facility (building only) is estimated to be in the order of $18M. Further detail of estimated costs will be provided as the designs for the facility are developed. City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council is investigating external funding opportunities to assist in the delivery of the project.

What will happen to Hillcrest Stadium?
Council has previously noted that Hillcrest Basketball Stadium is in poor condition and requires replacement. As part of this project Council is investigating potential disposal of this site to help offset the cost of developing the new Indoor Recreation Hub."

Reply #634718 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

FWIW - the St Clair stadium redevelopment aims to address the shortage of indoor courts identified by the Western Adelaide Sporting Facility Supply & Demand Study.

It's part of the larger St Clair recreation precinct redevelopment being done by Charles Sturt Council.

That larger redevelopment is being funded principally by council (about half), council asset sales (about 10%), SA Office for Rec & Sport (about 30%), State and Federal governments (remainder).

Reply #634719 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

surely west adelaide would want to relocate to st clair as well ? Girls numbers are down in the north west suburbs , whilst up in other areas. I have not seen woodville and western magic female team numbers as low as this for a while - west numbers stay relatively consistent. I know it does cycle a bit and now is the time to recruit - probably a few have gone the way of playing football fad. IMO long term the numbers will return to basketball but it is not a time to be complacent.

Reply #634831 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Lightview is a great move - so many families moving in / new houses in that Oakden / Northgate area

Reply #634832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt come at a better time! Hillcrest is terrible and MARS is on the decline with rumors of a church group purchasing the building gaining momentum.

Reply #634836 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The church group being referred to would be the church of jesus christ of latter day saints/mormons. Their temple is next door. They are not buying the land.

Reply #634858 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Surely BSA will consider all options before 'gifting' a "Club" the new St Clair Stadium.
There are 2.3 Clubs in the immediate area now and the Caretaker, (being BSA)? would surely prefer to move a Club into the new venue who has shown their willingness to work together and make it a success without any alleged previous debts hanging over. Plenty of time for negotiations to take place before the walls go up.

Reply #634904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs don't run any venues. BSA, Councils and private companies do. No SA Club is gifted a venue nor do they run any.

Reply #634921 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

People have short memories! Do I mention how Athol Park was sold from underneath Woodville?? 4 courts with the potential of upto 8 courts if the tennis centre was taken over, yes it needed work, but it was a hell of a lot better than being at the dome or st clair in its current state? How are Woodville being gifted this stadium? The way that I see it, this is the Stadium that Woodville is OWED! Most of the people on this site wouldn't even have known about Athol park and the revenue that it used to make Woodville! Lets not mention how Forestville and Sturt got their nice new Stadiums back in the day and everyone else got zip!

And taking my Woodville hat off here, It needs to be redeveloped for the wider community. Im talking as someone who has grown up playing at St Clair and is from the Western Suburbs!
Woodville have been working in conjuction with ALL of the organisations that use St Clair and the council for 5+ years to get this to happen! Just like Norwood, just like North, just like Eastern who put in a heap of work that NODOBY SEES!

At the end of the day, the Government and the councils have decided that its time to build more sporting infrastructure in communities and they have been planning to spend this money on these facilities. So dont sit here and say clubs are being gifted stadiums because its going to happen at some stage anyway. Saying that its being gifted is just ignorant because the government is going to build it if they want it anyway.

Reply #634922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news for Woodville, North and Eastern, now what's happening with South?

Reply #634927 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754