Isaac
Years ago

South Sudanese seek to stand out in Australian basketball

NY Times story about the rise in South Sudanese basketball players in Australia.

Henry and Gum, who arrived here as toddlers with thousands of other refugees relocated to Australia during Sudan's civil war, are now being recruited to play for elite high schools in the United States. Those who followed a similar path before them include Deng Gak, a 6-foot-11 forward at the University of Miami; his older brother Gorjok Gak, who plays for the University of Florida; and Kouat Noi, who plays for Texas Christian.

South Sudanese players from other Australian cities, like Thon Maker of the Milwaukee Bucks, also have been recruited, along with dozens of others who have made their way to the United States for high school and college on basketball scholarships.

None of this was what Mr. Chagai expected or aimed for. He and a few other South Sudanese refugees started playing for fun after landing here a decade ago, and they started coaching only because it’s what their community needed. Many of the South Sudanese children arrived without fathers. Their new country — generous, rich and often quite racist — needed navigating.
South Sudanese, Seeking to Fit In, Stand Out in Australian Basketball

Topic #41249 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Good article and a good read.

Reply #634829 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

good on them for making the most of it - a lot of us have no idea what level of hardship these people have endured.

Reply #634830 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Great article, we have a few really talented Sudanese kids at our club. I find the ignorance displayed by some of the parents with kids in the same team pretty bloody upsetting.

Reply #634859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Their new country — generous, rich and often quite racist"

If we are really that racist our country of riches wouldn't be so generously shared with them.

Reply #634864 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Our government accepting refugees is not the same thing as having a racially tolerant general population... Unfortunately we do have some real racism issues in the country, but I'd argue we don't even come to the US in that department, and their the ones who have their press label us as such every chance they get.

Reply #634877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a worldwide scale we are low is what I meant, yet it's always hyped up as if it's a huge problem. Nice point about how the US pot is calling the kettle black.

Reply #634881 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think it can still be a very big issue even if there are plenty of worse places in the world. Australia still has a long way to go in that department, but at least we're (mostly) still trying to move forwards.

Reply #634906 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

We're definitely far from the worst in the world, but we're a long way from the best also. Much of it comes from a place of ignorance rather than hate, but there is a LOT of ignorance.

I've recently returned from living in Brazil where I saw the very obvious differences in the way my black brother im law and other people of colour were treated compared to me and I'm glad we're not there. But we can always be better.

Reply #634911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that's Australia for you. Blend in and act like an alcohol and eggball loving Anglo type drongo/bogan/"larrikin" type character or else you are on the outer because you are a "poof", a wog or a snob.

The Sudanese are in the same boat just like every other non-convict person in this regard. They probably don't understand this dynamic of the country however because all white people are the same... but that's a different topic.

Reply #634912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Name me countries better than Australia re: racial harmony. You will struggle outside of a few like Canada and Scandinavia. Australia is at the top dude.

Reply #634913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually scrap the Scandis as the muslims there have created no-go zones for police and ppl not of their religion. My dad.

Reply #634914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My bad*

Reply #634915 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Canada, New Zealand, Pretty much anywhere in Northern Europe and other parts of Europe too.

We're at the top? No. If you're in Sydney or Melbourne it can feel that way, but outside of that its everywhere.

Again, it is possibly not as hateful as many other countries, but there is no excuse for the widespread ignorance found all over Australia.

Reply #634919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You may be well travelled Cram but you are such a leftie.

Reply #634924 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Ouch.

Reply #635019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately racism always gets associated with 'white' people when in fact racism comes in all colours

I think a better word should be intolerance and that's usually brought about by either ignorance of a culture or annoyance at behaviour exhibited by a culture

Their is good and bad in all cultures it's when those cultures clash due to what each think is their right within society that the racism card always gets brought out

Judge people not on how they look or what religion they follow but how they treat others and behave in society

If these Sudanese kids are trying to make a good life for themselves and they are engaging positively in society so it's great to see them have these opportunities

Reply #635048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are too trigger happy with the word racism when someone white criticises something.

Which leads me to this link:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-06/black-rhinos-promoting-crime-prevention-through-basketball/8501634

Why do these programs need to exist to curb crime? Most people don't need special programs to be law-abiding citizens, especially at 29 years of age. So crime only won't happen if there is a "distraction" handed to them? What a joke that doesn't actually address the real issues now added to our society through no fault of our own.

Reply #635071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If people get a bad start in life we have 3 options
- ignore them
- incarcerate them
- put some things in place to help them along, even if a few tossers think that because they didn't get a helping hand in life, no one should

I'm happy to put up with the whingeing of a few short-sighted tossers, because better outcomes for disadvantaged people directly leads to better outcomes for those around them as well.

Reply #635072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a history in Australia of refuge immigrants.

First, the Europeans after WWII in the late 40s and 50s. Horrible war yet came here and went to work, no special programs or treatment to distract from committing crimes. Law abiding.

Then in the late 70s the Asian invasion including refugees of the Vietnam War. Again, went to work, no coddling or coming up with government funded bribes to stop crime.

Now another wave of refugees. Yet this time it's different - gov has gone out of their way with aid to give them a head start. Given the best incentives to transition into our society yet there is a problem with crime among the group. Huge issues with the youth in outer Sydney and Melbourne. Huge issue that isn't being talked about, just band aid more programs and assistance.

Reply #635079 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah your post is the first time anyone has brought it up. I didn't even know it existed because nobody before you has ever talked about it. Thanks for being so brave oh anonymous hero.

Reply #635097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not on here they aren't.

Reply #635103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And thanks for not addressing the point, Cram hero.

Reply #635104 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Your point, my gutless anonymous friend, is that you're simply partaking in the common line of "the most recent immigrants are awful, all the rest were great!" Which literally happens with every wave of immigrants.

Reply #635148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754