Scott
Years ago

Crystal ball gazing for NBL Round 1 2017-18

Sat down to have a first look at squads and how things are coming together for the season (even though it's 4 months away).

With that whole WNBL TV deal in motion, I reckon we might get a draw earlier this year.

Thought I would throw my thoughts out on an eight-game possible first round fixture list.

Thu Oct 5 - 7:30 PM: Adelaide 36ers vs Illawarra Hawks at Titanium Security Arena
Fri Oct 6 - 7:30 PM: Brisbane Bullets vs Sydney Kings at Brisbane Entertainment Centre
Fri Oct 6 - 10:00 PM: Perth Wildcats vs Cairns Taipans at Perth Arena
Sat Oct 7 - 5:00 PM: New Zealand Breakers vs Illawarra Hawks at Vector Arena
Sat Oct 7 - 7:30 PM: Melbourne United vs Adelaide 36ers at Hisense Arena
Sun Oct 8 - 3:00 PM: Sydney Kings vs Perth Wildcats at Qudos Bank Arena
Sun Oct 8 - 5:30 PM: Cairns Taipans vs Brisbane Bullets at Cairns Convention Centre
Mon Oct 9 - 7:30 PM: Melbourne United vs New Zealand Breakers at Hisense Arena

The half hour breaks between double-headers are more out of hope than anything else that we might get to see some studio type more analysis from Fox.

Otherwise, I reckon this gives a pretty good start to the season. Seven games is probably more likely, but eight is a must. Get every team out there twice. Kick it off with that Adelaide vs Illawarra rivalry that was a bit heated in the semi's then you have Brisbane and Sydney which is always a good one. Perth and Cairns had some good matches last year, then Kirk Penney against Illawarra, with Melbourne and Adelaide being self-explanatory. Sydney and Perth needs to be early in the season for mine, as does the QLD derby with daylight savings allowing that to be a 4:30pm tip in Cairns which is pretty much perfect timing. Melbourne and New Zealand to round it out seems okay as well.

Thoughts?

Topic #41257 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are your WNBL-NBL double headers? arenenbee now with both on Fox there will be a lot of double and triple headers. Maybe even a quadruple header?

Reply #634929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF are you thinking starting this.

Reply #634938 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With that whole WNBL TV deal in motion, I reckon we might get a draw earlier this year.
Huh?

The half hour breaks between double-headers are more out of hope than anything else that we might get to see some studio type more analysis from Fox.
Why on earth would Fox bother with a studio show? Not to mention that most games finish in well under two hours, and the vast majority of people will have little interest in sitting through a 45-minute studio show before the second game starts.

Sydney and Perth needs to be early in the season for mine, as does the QLD derby
Why?

Have you bothered to look into venue availability? Why are NZ playing on their non-preferred night? What exactly is the point of this thread?

Reply #634942 | Report this post

bobbi  
Years ago

anyone know when the fixture will be released?

Reply #634964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not expecting any double headers until the Tassie NBL franchise gets up and running

Reply #634977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

★★★★★ thread

Reply #634984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crystal ball (Andrew) gazing...

_...._
.` `.
/ ***
: ** NBL :
: :
/
`-.,,,,.-'
_( )_
) (
( )
`-......-`

Reply #634985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This site doesn't support ASCII art? Fail!

Reply #634986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this thread just some guy saying what he thinks the draw should be?? I don't get it.

Reply #634988 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Yes thats right...apparently there is a Sportsbet market for there being a game between Adelaide 36ers and Illawarra Hawks at Titanium Security Arena @ Thu Oct 5 - 7:30 PM.

Its paying $28 if anyone wants in. I got in @ $31 when I read this.

Reply #634990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Is this thread just some guy saying what he thinks the draw should be?? I don't get it."

I think so... lol. Yet he forgets WNBL is on Fox now as well so didn't factor in any of that league's games... whoops!

Reply #634996 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would WNBL games need to be listed on an NBL schedule?

Reply #635004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The original poster was speculating on fixtures. Now that Fox will air WNBL in addition to NBL you would think they would not clash in their scheduling. The way the OP predicted the fixtures fails to leave a window for their WNBL coverage.

Reply #635021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally underwhelmed

Reply #635036 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

This thread is a flog!!

Reply #635106 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754