Curtley
Years ago

Statistical Questions

Some Qs regarding the awarding of statistics to players.

1. If you block a shot and simultaneously grab the ball are you awarded a block and a rebound?

2. If you inbound the ball to someone that scores soon after do you get an assist?

3. If you pass to someone who is fouled while shooting and misses the shot but makes at least one free-throw do you get an assist?

4. If you pass a ball that is defected by an opposition player, then the ball goes to a player on your team from the deflection who scores, do you get an assist?

5. If you are given a technical foul that also gives the opposition possession do you get a turnover as well as a foul assigned to you?

6. If you are fouled while taking a shot and it misses does this count as a shot attempt or only if it goes in?

Topic #41273 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No, as a rebound needs to involve glass
2. Yes
3. Yes, as long as one free throw attempt is scored
4. Yes
5. Good question - not sure
6. No, if it doesn't go in it doesn't count against your FGA stats

Is this a quiz?

Reply #635362 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

1. Correct.

2. I believe so.

3. I believe 2 made FTs constitute an assist?

4. Depends on how much the deflection impacted the pass.

5. No.

6. Only if the FG is made.

Reply #635364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: 1.

If you block and catch the ball to gain posession but it didn't go off the backboard how is it a rebound? Logically it would be a block and steal? Thoughts?

If you block a shot, it hits the backboard/rim, then you gain possession then it's a block and rebound.

Reply #635366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or 'rebound' can be off of a player you blocked I suppose? As it 'rebounded' off of your opponent.

Reply #635367 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1. No, as a rebound needs to involve glass
Incorrect.

3. Yes, as long as one free throw attempt is scored
This is only true in Australia, I believe.

Reply #635370 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Or 'rebound' can be off of a player you blocked I suppose? As it 'rebounded' off of your opponent.
A 'rebound' is gaining possession of a missed shot.

Reply #635371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I originally wrote that about 1.) then pondered it with subsequent thoughts in other posts.

Reply #635373 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

re questions 6 -thats why foul shots are separate to field attempts

Reply #635377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. No.
2. No. Its just an inbound pass. Unless it is a super dooper one.
3. A pass is not an assist. Again if its a super doper one, yes.
4. No.
5. Probably.

Reply #635386 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

I am a SBL/NBL Statistician....answers below.

1. If you block a shot and simultaneously grab the ball are you awarded a block and a rebound? YES

2. If you inbound the ball to someone that scores soon after do you get an assist? DEPENDING ON WHAT THE RECEIVING PLAYER DOES. CATCH AND SHOOT - YES

3. If you pass to someone who is fouled while shooting and misses the shot but makes at least one free-throw do you get an assist? YES

4. If you pass a ball that is defected by an opposition player, then the ball goes to a player on your team from the deflection who scores, do you get an assist? NO

5. If you are given a technical foul that also gives the opposition possession do you get a turnover as well as a foul assigned to you? ONLY IF THE TEAM THAT WAS TECH FOULED WAS IN POSSESSION AT THE TIME.

6. If you are fouled while taking a shot and it misses does this count as a shot attempt or only if it goes in? DOES NOT COUNT AS A SHOT ATTEMPT

Reply #635387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when is a regular pass an assist. An inbound pass to someone who turns and shoots is a pass never an assist.
Passing the ball to someone who is fouled while shooting and misses the shot but makes at least one free-throw do you get an assist. Hell NO. Yet again it's a simple pass.
Never heard so much BS. Inflated stats for everyone if you are on the bench RED74.

Reply #635390 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

While we're asking questions:

If two players on opposing teams simultaneously come down with a rebound and a held ball is called, does the player whose team has the arrow get credited with the board?

If a held ball is forced during a possession and the arrow is with the defensive team, is that a steal to the defensive player and a turnover to the offensive player?

Are eight- and 24-second violations given to the player possessing the ball at the time of the violation, or just the team?

Reply #635391 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

anon 390-------you are a clown....

If two players on opposing teams simultaneously come down with a rebound and a held ball is called, does the player whose team has the arrow get credited with the board? YES

If a held ball is forced during a possession and the arrow is with the defensive team, is that a steal to the defensive player and a turnover to the offensive player? YES

Are eight- and 24-second violations given to the player possessing the ball at the time of the violation, or just the team? TEAM

Reply #635394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Reply #635399 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Anon 390. You are a complete moron. I hope you don't harbour any ambitions to record stats at any level because you wouldn't last one game.

You haven't even got the understanding to recognise you are being provided with quality information from someone that has performed the task at a high level.

You loser!

Reply #635503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A pass from the sidelines into a player is no way an assist if they happen to score. The only quality information I see is that everyone's stats will be padded based on the misinterpretations here by many including yourself. The last sentence being the most important.
Even Wikipedia says "There is some judgment involved in deciding whether a passer should be credited with an assist. An assist can be scored for the passer even if the player who receives the pass makes a basket after dribbling the ball. However, the original definition of an assist did not include such situations"

Reply #635507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Wikipedia is such a solid reference when it comes to any argument!! I can create and update my own page on Wikipedia, doesn't make it real. Maybe you should be posting in the fake news thread.

Reply #635509 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

What level is an assist given on a made free throw?

I believe it was under FIBA rules years ago but thought that changed. It certainly isn't in the NBA or NBL.

Reply #635511 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

I have been a SBL statistician for 27 years and can confirm Red74's answers.

For the idiot questioning some of the answers, maybe he needs to question FIBA themselves, as it's their guidelines we follow.

Reply #635512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This is only true in Australia, I believe."

and which country are we in, prey tell?

Reply #635519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pray tell*

Reply #635520 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks to the stats bench guys for chipping in with real answers.

Reply #635533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red74 I said practically on the money, and I've done a couple of international games.
The anon needs to hit the books and not read Wikipedia.

Or even better, get qualified as a statistician himself so he might actually know!

Reply #635542 | Report this post

Numbers  
Years ago

I've been doing stats at International, NBL and occasionally SBL level since 1990 so this falls in my wheelhouse fairly nicely.

From the OP, all of the main questions have been answered accurately (eventually) except for Q2. As for the FIBA guidelines from 1/5/16....

Definition of an assist;

- a pass to a player inside the paint, who scores from inside the paint is always an assist
- a pass to a player outside the paint, who scores without dribbling is always an assist
- a pass to a player outside the point, who scores after one or more dribbles, is considered an assist if the shooter is not guarded directly in front of him / facing him. The same principle applies in fast break situations, with a pass to a player at half court

Other notes;

- FT - must make at least one to be credited with an assist
- Distance and type of shot and the ease in which the player scores are not relevant
- No assist shall be given in a fast break situation if the player receives the pass in their own half court

For those looking to increase their knowledge in this area....
http://www.fiba.com/documents/2015/FIBA_Stats_Manual20120920.pdf

Reply #635666 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

- a pass to a player inside the paint, who scores from inside the paint is always an assist
- a pass to a player outside the paint, who scores without dribbling is always an assist
That seems overly generous.

Reply #635851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree about those being overly generous, I think they are very solid guidelines

Reply #635852 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

By that definition you get an assist for passing to someone on the perimeter who spends five seconds throwing fakes before shooting.

You can get a lot done between a paint catch and a score, too.

Reply #635856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That seems overly generous."

Take it up with FIBA, then.

Reply #635895 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If two players on opposing teams simultaneously come down with a rebound and a held ball is called, does the player whose team has the arrow get credited with the board? YES
How did this work back in the jump ball days? Did the player in the jump ball whose team came up with possession, or the player who first came up with possession? Or nobody?

Reply #636062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754