Aussie
Years ago

An NBL team needs to sign Tom Wilson

Tom Wilson is just 19 (turns 20 in June) and is the 2nd leading scorer in the SEABL.

I'm a bit surprised that Gaze hasn't chased him (considering he is his current coach).

The kid has great size and has so much potential. He apparently wants to play in Europe but it would really hinder his development if he gets buried in a rotation.

Also, does anyone know where Angus Glover may end up?

Is Isaac Humphries a chance for an NBL team?

Topic #41275 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kieran Hayward has just left lsu. I'm assuming an nbl club might pick him up.

Reply #635408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly..
Tom Wilson-United
Angus Glover-Hawks
Isaac Humphries-Kings
Kieran Hayward-Kings or Hawks

Reply #635409 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What position/style does Tom Wilson play?

Reply #635410 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

If Gaze lets him slip to any other NBL club you'd really have to question Gaze as a coach. Will McDowell-White stay with the kings?

Glover probably will sign with Hawks he's much loved there and I think it's very slim that Humphries winds up back here.

Reply #635412 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

I doubt MU will sign Wilson because they've already signed Sam Short as a DP to follow the same pathway as Adnam I presume.

Reply #635413 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

I agree Midrange. Gaze can see first hand how good Wilson is.

Isaac, Wilson was the starting point guard for the U17 Australian team that won Silver (losing to the USA by just 7 points).

He can play some PG but is probably more of a 2. Brings the ball up the court with ease though.

Reply #635421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many dp positions are there?

Reply #635422 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

SEABL Season stat leaders here: http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?c=1-3363-0-436967-0&pool=-1&round=0&a=STATS

Reply #635424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Aussie - Whilst Wilson was the captain and a starter, he was not the starting PG in the Australian U17 team that lost to USA in the FIBA U17 final in 2014.

Starters were:
PG - Owies
SG - Vasiljevic
SF - Wilson
PF - Kuoat Noi
C - Humphries

However, once Owies went off Wilson assumed the PG duties.

He's a more than capable PG - can distribute or score depending on what's required. He had 6 or 7 assists in the final, whilst scoring 23 points.

Reply #635438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WILSON - OP you seem to know Gaze hasn't chased him! How? Maybe you should've asked - Has Gaze chased him? Wilson is a Melbourne Tigers Junior, so Gaze knows him well.

GLOVER - I've heard he has ruptured an ACL, again. If true he won't be in the NBL this coming season. But he is much liked by Wollongong.

HUMPHRIES - He'll try and get a gig in the NBA. If not, then Europe and if he doesn't get the right fit, then maybe the NBL or NBA D-League.

Reply #635442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mathiang is also a possibility to nbl.

Reply #635443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No disrespect to Sam Short, but if you've seen him play, there is no comparison between he and Wilson at this stage of their careers.

Wilson was a DP with MU before he went to College, so I'm sure MU have asked him as well.

However, I've heard he has signed a significant contract in Europe for next season. I'm hearing it is a multi-year deal.

Reply #635444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where in Europe?

Reply #635446 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"However, I've heard he has signed a significant contract in Europe for next season. I'm hearing it is a multi-year deal."

If true, let's hope he gets plenty of minutes to prove himself

Reply #635455 | Report this post

swollboi  
Years ago

Lot of clubs taking a real hard look at Goran Veg is my mail

Reply #635461 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

He has signed? That's pretty quick since most leagues in Europe are heading towards their off-season.

Well good luck to him anyways. I've had the feeling that he's going to pursue that path since he signed Moldovan as his agent. He made it pretty clear to everyone that his goal is the NBA.

Reply #635462 | Report this post

chris  
Years ago

Tom is going to Serbia and has already signed. Gaze would of scooped him up if he were to be staying in the country. Perfect man for Drewys system and a tiger junior.

Reply #635463 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more kids a gun!!

Reply #635464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Serbia.. thanks.

Reply #635465 | Report this post

swollboi  
Years ago

No Goran Veg hasn't signed in Europe, he's still available for NBL teams to snap up.

Reply #635467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's actually the 3rd in ppg. I saw Melb play a while ago and there was no one, repeat no one in that side other than Ari Stewart play well for the Tigers. Equally he is certainly better than Adnam was ever/ still. Scoring so many points in a losing side is problematic as well. Can he play D?

Reply #635468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think D was the issue at SMU.
Prone to have turnovers and put Sam Short in this team and he will be putting up 20 shoots per game.
Horses for courses!!

Reply #635472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You earn more money in division 3 German league than Serbian 1st division. Good exposer though, can lead to better teams and money.

Reply #635473 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks Aussie.

I imagine the market for Glover would have been strong prior to his injury. Maybe a team now tries for him in a DP role and gives him rehab support with a view to bringing him on board next year, or in case he returns from a higher level down the track.

Reply #635479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends which team in Serbia picks him up.

Reply #635482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

468 - I think I'd rather have a player score points in a losing team as opposed to not scoring points in a losing team.

Personally having a player that can score is a good problem to have. From what I can see Melbourne don't have enough players who can score.

What does the coach do if he's got a team who can't score?

Reply #635496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scoring ain't that hard, defending is what's hard. All sports offence starts with their defence. Perth Wildcats classic example.

Reply #635504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality check tonight and got a lesson.
Some people need to calm down!!

Reply #635790 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754