Ben
Years ago

NBL stint hasn't hurt Ferguson's draft stock

Well, much.

From memory he came to Adelaide with an early draft prediction of #7-12.

The majority of respected mocks now have him #12-20. Plenty of chatter also on team forums within that range.

I genuinely thought he would take a huge hit after an uninspiring season on our shores. And yes I'm aware he was 18.

15 mpg
4.63 ppg (38%fg, 31%3, 59.7%ft)
1.17 rpg
0.60 apg

Anyone with strong thoughts on either side of the coin? Would especially like to hear the assessment of any coaches lurking here.

Topic #41287 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

I don't remember the talk of him going as high as that when he first came here I think it was mid-late first round but I just saw NBC Sports mock draft the other day and they have going in the lottery pick 12 to Detroit.

12. Detroit Pistons: Terrance Ferguson, Australia. A 6'6″ wing with insane athleticism, good spot up shooter but has work to do on both ends. Chose to play in Australia rather than college last season.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/05/10/2017-nba-mock-draft-the-first-round/

Reply #635740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didnt hurt his stock, just screwed the 36ers chances of a title and all as he was shite. Few little highlight reel plays annnnnd nothing else that genuinely proved to be game winning play. Not his fault and he will make it, but adelaide screwed themselves.

Reply #635745 | Report this post

very old  
Years ago

It would make sense for his agent to sell his stint down under as essentially an X months full time 24/7 professional basketball training program, practicing against full grown men in the prime of their pro basketball careers. With an agreed game limitation that he would not be going full tilt at driving lanes and taking charges in a adult pro league, in order to avoid injury prior to draft day.

As opposed to going to a us college, doing 10 months of BS academics, playing 20 games and having heavily restricted ( by NCAA rule) practices for a few months against other college kids.

really just doing a 10 month intensive adult pro camp.

i don't think the scouts would be particuarly bothered by his performance, its not like he was a draft reject , left with having to prove himself against other Pros in some OS league.

Reply #635747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or in other words Very Old, explain to them thats exactly what it was!

Reply #635750 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Draft picks are scouted somewhat differently to FAs in most cases, in the sense that more weight is placed on potential, relative to age. While having good statistics certainly may help your draft stock, be it in college or foreign professional leagues, NBA scouts look at those differently.

They focus more on advanced stats like PPP (point per possession) in particular situation to tell them how efficiently the player can score in certain situation that occurs frequently in the NBA such as a PnR (pick and roll) play. For backcourt/wing players like Ferguson, they may look at your Assist% and TO% to see if you have the potential to play the point.

Aside from stats, they look at intangibles such as attitude, coachability, competitiveness, awareness and IQ with regards to decision-making in broken plays.

The average NBL fan will probably look at Ferguson and reckons he's crap, didn't help the team much offensively, physically too weak and has shitty stats, etc. A scout will have definitely noted that for his under-developed 18 year old frame, Ferguson fearlessly bodied up to guys like Hollyfield and Maric, worked hard with good lateral movement to contain similar or smaller guards, pick his shots carefully instead of chucking it wily nilly as soon as he touches the ball and looks patient enough to play within a system/role.

There are quite a few scouting reports on him floating out there on the net. If you read or watch enough of them, you'll get plenty of ideas what the scouts were looking at and why his draft stock hasn't suffered much.

Reply #635751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For god's sake will people let up how he hurt the sixers, he came as advertised, a high school kid, cheap because of his endorsement deal, worked hard, was no distraction in light of limited minutes, gave the league a lot of attention and will do when he gets drafted. He was never going to come in and score 30ppg, the payroll was limited this year, were minor premiers, came up short in playoffs but for one I and many was proud of the season. All of the doubters looked like idiots at the teams success after bagging them early, now this is all they can carry on about.

Reply #635754 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

@SteveK2, great response, exactly what I was after. Thank you!

Reply #635759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above anon believe me it has nothing to do with Ferguson hurting the 36ers. It has eveything to do with the 36ers accepting a under developed player in a key 'import' spot. Not ready to let their stupidity go just yet. Ferguson will be great, its not his fault a 'professional team' signed him.

Reply #635761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:56 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754