Years ago

AFL in China, NBL missing opportunities?

The first AFL game in China is today and it's expected to be broadcast to 4 million people. Why hasn't the NBL organised this yet? From what I know basketball is a very popular sport i

Topic #41288 | Report this topic

Years ago

In China

Reply #635802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb United are there in a few days...

Reply #635803 | Report this post

)  
Years ago

yes i was watching it and thinking - wow this is well done, very smart homework. really well presented for tv audience

Reply #635805 | Report this post

Years ago

Too late to the party

Reply #635806 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

China already has a well established basketball league so apart from some pre season tours and some filler for TV which may generate some sponsor dollars there is not a lot to leverage. This stuff is already under development.

Pretty sure most of the crowd were AFL diehards, either expats or those who made the trip over and the rest probably local corporate freebees. Cant see most Chinese giving a shit about AFL.

Reply #635810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They said it was sold out. BUllshit is the call.

Reply #635811 | Report this post

Years ago

Free tickets like women's league games?

Reply #635812 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

It was apparently sold out but the stadium but for like 10,000 people

NBL/Aus basketball have been doing tours, playing in front of larger crowds than that in China for over a decade.

The AFL going over there is the most over rated thing ever

Last season the NBL all star team was playing in front of bigger crowds and had a combined TV audience of like 30 million of people in China, plus whoever watched online in Australia, i doubt this AFL game gets close to that

Reply #635814 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've been watching and it doesn't help that it has been a complete fizzer as a contest

Reply #635815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb Tigers have been going there for 20+ years

Reply #635816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The abc did local interviews with locals, none had ever heard of it and when showed on the phone they all called it rugby and said it was to rough. The sponsor puting on the game bus loaded 4000 in and the balance they reckon came from Australia or are working in Asia and gone to watch. Basketball is massive in China even if the standard is not that high and the wages are far better than anything the afl pay.

Reply #635817 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Not a chance the ratings will be in the vicinity of 4 million. Absolute beat-up. It'll certainly be the lowest rated game in Australia this weekend - by a fair margin!

Reply #635818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chinese are finesse athletes, AFL will never catch on there. AFL hierarchy are so deluded.

Reply #635825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yawn.

Boomers, Tigers, Kings, Bullets and now Utd have all been there. The first four have all played against full national team. Huge ratings that AFL will never achieve in the Chinese market, but that doesn't stop their hype machine.

Reply #635826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it, the afl hype machine, had a mate that thought basketball was a nothing game went to the US came back and told me he couldn't believe how big basketball was, he said in the bars every tv screen had the NBA on. He now follows the Nbl as well.

Reply #635832 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thats pretty much it. All hype generated from the AFL. Nothing unusual about that.

Pre-season NBL and A-leage Asia Champions League been doing this for a long time now. Pity not much notice is taken there (particularly from the NBL).

Dont really get all the fuss though. Its a massively overrated concept.

Reply #635835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pro sport here sure is minor league compared to over there. Love the passion over there for multiple sports and knowledgeable fans. Same as Europe with their sports. We are nothing.

Reply #635836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Haz. A-League clubs have exposure to billions due to Champions League. WSW are known throughout Asia since their title win. Their win is one of the biggest in Aus sports but most will reply with a huh? because it wasn't promoted in our propaganda media

Reply #635837 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I just think the AFL (and as much as I like it myself, as i am a fan) they do tend to talk themselves up so much that they think their way bigger than they are.

A few reality checks for them:
1. Its not that big in Western Sydney despite their efforts, going by Giants crowds, even when their winning.

2. Its really stuggling in Brisbane and Gold Coast.

3. The Swans only have to start losing for support in Sydney to drop off.

4. A few Victorian teams arent too healthy themselves.

5. Tasmanian games are getting more frequent, but crowds are still hovering around the 10-12000 mark. Thats poor for an AFL state. A small population should still get more people going.

If it wasnt for a TV deal and the media hype we are subjected to, the league isnt as strong as it projects itself to be. I think it needs to scale back some of these experiments because some of them are failing.

Reply #635840 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

1500 police there to make up the numbers presumably..

Reply #635845 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

It wasn't done to build the sport in china it was done to build sponsorship and financial relationships. It's a long term thing. Despite the lack of resources the NBL is going ok now with the Asian attempt but the fact what's happening now w Asian imports especially didn't start 10 years ago is the problem. The slingers were ahead of their time unfortunately.

Reply #635847 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"AFL in China, NBL missing opportunities?
The first AFL game in China is today and it's expected to be broadcast to 4 million people. Why hasn't the NBL organised this yet? From what I know basketball is a very popular sport i"

How long have you been asleep buddy? The NBL took a bigger game to China last year and got 30 million viewers. Melbourne United are in China now trying to sort a game. The NBL has done more in China than the AFL ever has the only difference is what the Australian media bothers to talk about.

Reply #635850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As above, it's all about sponsorship. Kochie will be trying to line up a mega deal so a Chinese company can make headway in Australia, not the other way around. And Afl is following along.
Saw the interview with Ferguson the other day, for someone that lived in an Afl city and still didn't understand or care for the sport, how the hell is the Chinese market going to go for it. And briefly glanced at game, looked like a lot of empty seats. But if the Afl stupidly expanded into Western Sydney, then wait for the Shanghai Dragons as the next franchise.

Reply #635853 | Report this post

Years ago

"How long have you been asleep buddy? The NBL took a bigger game to China last year and got 30 million viewers. Melbourne United are in China now trying to sort a game. The NBL has done more in China than the AFL ever has the only difference is what the Australian media bothers to talk about."

Not an avid follower of the NBL but I never hear anything about the visits to China. Guess that's the difference between the AFL and NBLs hype machines.

Reply #635858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because mainstream media here is controlled by the AFL and the NRL, the NBL is always fighting for its 5 minutes of air time but the football codes own it mate, that's why you don't see it they don't want you to see anything but football!

Oh, and sport-betting adds...............!

Reply #635867 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

The mainstream media is controlled by public interest. If you don't think there's more public interest in AFL and NRL than the NBL, you really need to get your head out of the sand.

Reply #635891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like the mainstream media direct public interest and socially engineer us.

Reply #635893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:08 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754