AKA
Years ago

Current Gael signed at Cairns

Does anyone have any info on who they may be referring to in the latest podcast? They mention around the 26/27 minute mark that a current (this rules out Dane's signing at Sydney) Aussie Gael has signed with Cairns for the upcoming season. Anyone with inside scoop?

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/nbl-off-season-review-podcast/

Topic #41290 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe joe rahon?

That be awesome for cairns.

Reply #635878 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

He wouldn't technically be a current Gael nor is he Australian. As an SMC fan I hope that is the case though!! I know Joe played out last season on a bung knee and has had some surgery since losing to Arizona in NCAA's. He would be a great get for any NBL side. A poor man's Delly (which isn't a knock on Joe by any means)

Reply #635879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Clark or hunter?
An undersized pf and a c that gets few minutes.

Reply #635880 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

They are the 2 logical potentials. I think Hunter showed enough late in the year to gain some interest as a backup backup 5 man in the NBL at a young age. The recent recruiting by SMC and Kreb's development in the latter stages of the season could give Clarke reason to think he may not get many minutes in the upcoming season. Those two however would have invested serious minutes into earning their degree's and staying to complete the education would have some validity with basketball aside.

Reply #635882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With rahon and Pinaeu gone.
Porter left, then Gonzalez. (2 really good players I thought)
Glover turning pro.

Will be interesting to see how they go with Ford, Naar, Hermanson, Fitzner, Landale the starting 5 with really only krebs, coming of the bench.
3-4 guys we haven't really seen do anything. (Kuhse, sheets, thomas)
Zurics the new pg coming in and no one else signed.
Perry untested.

Reply #635884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cullen Neal might be ahead of ford.

Reply #635885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Aussie player will they go after in 2018 season?

Reply #635887 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Neal could be a great acquisition and Ford should see an increase in minutes. If Hunter can show progression to replace Dane's minutes somewhat, they should be in a pretty good spot. I can see Kreb's starting at the 2 spot and Ford coming in off the bench along with Neal as the 2 backup guards. Bennet isn't scared of playing the lead guard with heavy minutes so I wouldn't expect Naar to see much pine.

Reply #635896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back on topic.... so who did the Taipans sign?

Reply #635898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not an Aussie as I heard Barlow will end up in Cairns.

Reply #635995 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Christ, I hope we don't end up with Barlow. That would be a disaster. Still, it would fit with Fearne's model of getting experienced veterans with only a year or two left in the tank, and with the capacity to play 3 or 4. At least he's a decent shooter.

I really like the look of Jordan Hunter; he's got some moves and a good sense of the basketball court. I don't see where he'd fit in the Taipans rotation, though, because he's not a starting 4. Unless Fearne plans to start Egwu at 4 and Jawai at 5, backing them up with Hunter and Loughton, which I just hate the thought of. He could be an interesting pick up as 11th man if they don't sign Heuir.

Snakes need starters at 1, 3 and 4.

It could be Naar. It would be a huge risk to start him, he's only a junior at college level now, and it would be point guard by committee, if Fearne were to start with Weeks:

Weeks/Naar
Gliddon/McCarron
Import 1/Weigh
Import 2/Loughton
Jawai/Egwu
Heuir as 11th man

I would imagine he'd be looking to Gliddon to run the point a bit more, like he did in his first year.

It kind of makes more sense, with Jawai going to miss the start of the season, for them to go with greater depth at the big positions, but I've always thought Stevie should play more 4, especially as he's not as quick as he progresses in age.

I hope Fearne has someone really good up his sleeve.

Maybe it's Jock Landale.

Reply #636054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar or Landale. Very much doubt it.

Reply #636056 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Had wondered if fearne was trying to turn weeks into a straight-up point guard by the way he was using him last week. What you laid out above almost makes sense. Madness if you ask me, every Nbl team in Australia lives and dies by its import pg these days..

Reply #636059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Narr was red shirted first year so maybe has finished his degree, he's 23 so not a bad idea if available.

Reply #636061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And have Neal and ford at the point?

Might be Naar. Big loss for the gaels if true.

Reply #636065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bennett has run three guard starting lineups previously with delly, holt and giusti so maybe 3 of neal, naar, krebs and ford will start? Especially with Landale anchoring the middle

Reply #636152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hermanson will start at the 3.

Reply #636154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

15 man roster =

PG Naar(Sr)/Ford(Soph)/Zoricks(fresh)
SG Neal(Sr)/Krebs(Soph)/Kuhse(Soph)
SF Hermanson(Sr)/Thomas(Soph)/Sheets(soph)
PF Fitzner(Jr)/Clark(Jr)/Fitts(fresh)
C Landale(Sr)/Hunter(Jr)/Perry(Fresh)

Reply #636157 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Naar, Neal and Ford to an extent can play 1 or 2, Krebs will be a 2/3 I imagine. I can't see Zoricks getting much court time. Typically (Delly and Patty aside) RB doesn't give freshman G's big minutes. He usually plays a shallow bench but there is some good depth on that line-up. Especially at the 4/5. With BYU big Eric Mika signing with an agent and staying in the draft, Karnowski graduating and Collins going pro, Landale should have his way with the WCC this coming season (more so than he did last season if that's possible).

Reply #636180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754