Aussie
Years ago

A League Fox Sports deal worth $346 Million

Even though the NBL has made great strides over the past 2 years, I think it's fair to say they have a long, long way to go.

The NBL's Fox Sports deal for every game live is worth zero dollars (as far as I know) and they have to pay for their own production costs.

By contrast, the A League have a 6 year $346 Million dollar deal with Fox.

We all know that a Television broadcast deal is the lifeblood of any sporting code.

I'm not a fan of soccer at all but I love the NBL.

Can we catch up to other sporting codes in this country?

Thoughts?

Topic #41330 | Report this topic

Midrange  
Years ago

Wasn't that long ago that the A-League was in the same boat as NBL.

Reply #636725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ridiculous thing is the standard of the A-League from a worldwide perspective is poor. On the other hand NBL is one of the top basketball leagues worldwide. Yet the inferior league gets the money.

I am both a football and basketball fan, following both sports around the world. If I didn't know any better I'd think this is a joke.

Reply #636729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was a joke*

Reply #636732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's pretty simple.
The more viewers, the more bacon.

Reply #636733 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"It's pretty simple.
The more viewers, the more bacon."

Exactly right. The more viewers, the more sponsors come on board, equaling more revenue and bargaining rights.

The question is, how do we get more people to watch the NBL on Fox Sports?

Reply #636736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd make the cap higher and also scrap the current wnbl teams and align them with the current nbl teams, much like the a league/w league, afl/aflw.

Have a pro team, an entire youth/development team etc.

2 team expansion, 1 more vic team, 1 tas.
=

Mens/womens pro + boys/girls youth
Melbourne United
Second vic team (south east)
Sydney kings
Illawarra Hawks
Adelaide 36ers
Perth wildcats
Hobart devils
Brisbane bullets
Cairns taipans
Auckland breakers (Wellington)

Potentially a second Adelaide team and nz team.

vastly improve all content. Website, streaming, marketing etc.

Reply #636739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also make seperate Asian import. That'll increase viewership throughout Asia if you can bring a young prospect in or established player.

Reply #636741 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Also make seperate Asian import. That'll increase viewership throughout Asia if you can bring a young prospect in or established player."

Not meaning to sound critical but how would this increase tv audiences in Asia?

Why would they watch when they have their own, very successful CBA?

Reply #636742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As to the reasons why, I have no idea.

Young Chinese or phillipino prospects have an enormous amount of followers.

Reply #636743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difference is that the A league didn't just hire its old mates to run it and get it going. Actually got experienced and business minded people for the most important jobs.

Reply #636746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me personally I would only watch the NBL or go to games if it was on in the months the NBA wasn't on. That would be my suggestion to make it more popular.

Reply #636800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct, realigning our season to be more in sync with the FIBA calendar back in 1998 was a fail.

Reply #636808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way Fox is making a profit on this deal. Much like the AFL, NRL and cricket contracts. I guess A-League has joined the club of overhyped Australian leagues. Well done... I guess.

Reply #636829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem imo is grass roots. Hugely popular sport in juniors as is soccer but badly run. Money needs to be invested which looks like its finally being done with tin sheds being replaced.
In 90s it was huge mainly by marketing started by NBA, Jordan, shaq etc. Focus from local clubs is premier league then div one teams. Need to somehow get NBA on fta, attract teams and players to play here and hype it up. BBL has taken off mainly because it's a spectacle but also because it's like Kim Kardashian, it's famous for being famous. Instead of marquee players like a Brock Motum who outside of basketball, no-one knows or cares, get an Iverson or McGrady to play a few games, give them a couple hundred thousand and build it up. A League did it with washed up players, coaches may hate it especially like last season with it being so tight, but I'd be lining up to watch Iverson or one if my past Hero's lace them up. Most of people on this forum has bagged Ferguson, but if he turns out to be star and after NBA comes back to play for a year or two would be huge.
Now these ideas may not work, in fact nearly guaranteed not to, but get some marketing firm to breathe life into league. Go Hollywood.

Reply #636891 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

A-League announced that 1 game per week to be shown on Network 10/One. Will be the Saturday night match, simulcast from Fox.

In my opinion, this is a risky move. We all know how 10 treated the NBL twice in its history. They'll do the same to the A-League if it doesn't rate well enough.

Hopefully this is good news for the NBL as SBS might want more sporting content, or 7,9 or ABC may want to counter the A-league coverage for NBL??? I mean, the league is on the up after all... of course 10 would never have wanted the NBL ever again and im sure the league wouldnt be keen to go back there.

SBS loved soccer. Wonder if 10 will give the same love. The sceptic in me says they wont. Curious if FFA took into considetation the network's treatment of basketball when signing up to them. Id think they didn't.

Good luck to them.

Reply #637205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754