LC
Years ago

Sami Whitcomb explodes!

22 points on 6-of-8 three-pointers in 15min to lead Storm to win vs Liberty.

Topic #41335 | Report this topic

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Amazing!

Reply #636843 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wow! That last 3 was amazing alright!

Reply #636844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Citizenship earnt.

Reply #636847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She is exploding out of the WNBL and into Europe.

Reply #636851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt she'd want that

Reply #636852 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

great commentary - we have know what sammi can deliver for a while. Probably a few Husky fans in the crowd as well.

Reply #636854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So will she be the starting 2 guard for the opals come Tokyo?

Reply #636855 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

She keeps this up she will end up playing for team USA

Reply #636866 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell did not want all the attention to go to Whitcomb!

19 points, 3 rebounds, 4 assists and 3 steals in 17 minutes.

Reply #636876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it at all possible to have both Mitchell and Whitcomb on the opals squad?
How does that work?

Reply #636877 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

No

https://www.fiba.com/downloads/v3_expe/agen/docs/3-ELIGIBILITY-NATIONAL-STATUS-of-%20PLAYERS.pdf

Point 21

Reply #636880 | Report this post

{  
Years ago

Sammi to Breanna Stewart "I've got this, pass to me" ).

Well done SW

Reply #636887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would Sammi play for Australia when shes American and yet to even get her Aussie status, if shes playing like this consistently and they take a liking to her style of play, which is frankly just erratic and fast then she will likely get a tap on the shoulder to represent her own country, and rightly so, which leaves places for those born in Australia, and those that have played all their juniors and seniors in this country a chance to represent their country of birth

Reply #636899 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

3/4 from outside last night. Great stuff backing up her performance.

Reply #636932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you also have a problem with Leilani playing for Australia?

Reply #636934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lynx2Storm

Reply #636935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And also Griffin who is on the Asian cup list?

Reply #636936 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Reply #636935

More like Lynx² tbh

Reply #636940 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wasn't Lelanis mother Australian, which gives her naturalisation status

Reply #636948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doesn't matter as per point 21 in the article linked above

Reply #636956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched entire game. Seattle lacked a spark and New York had full control. Divine intervention looked Seattle's best chance until Sami hit the floor back of Q3 (just 9-mins across her first four matches). At one point the commentator quiped, "who is she???!!!"

Leilani is having a great season and Cayla George is performing strongly too.

Reply #636962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cayla George is a massive defensive liability who gives up way more than her 5.6 PPG offsets (she's being targeted almost immediately upon entering the game).

Reply #636978 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, it's an area that let her down last time in Phoenix too so it's no surprise. She'll still get minutes though because Phoenix is a weak team this season.
Talbot is doing ok though, even holding on to her starting spot so far. I don't know if that will last but I can't fault her effort levels. Reminds me a lot of the role that Snell played with Phoenix.
Bec Allen is the player I had higher hopes for this season. So far she has been disappointing, but it's early days.
Sami has more than made up for it though :)

Reply #636994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Luuuuuuuuuuc

Talbot needs to come off the bench IMO. She's too slow at the moment and I'm not sold on her defensive play (unlike the female Mercury commentator, for whatever reason). She either gives up the drive or gives up the foul, and Phoenix haven't even faced off one of the strong teams yet this season. She's getting worse off, which to me might be some confidence issues, so putting her against second units might help adjust to speed. I'd move Taurasi down to take up her wife's former place at SF. What is up with Taurasi this season, by the way? She's shooting horribly and only averaging half an assist per game. Even if her scoring is off her passing is heaps better than that.

No idea what is going on with Allen. She's way off her usual mark.

I hope Whitcomb can keep it up after teams have a scout on her.

Reply #637050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposed to be best league in the world.
Some of the players chosen... the mind boggles.
Also all the euro players lost to eurobasket.

Reply #637051 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think there are no easy answers for Phoenix. They've got a bad roster. Talbot seems to have a reputation in Phoenix as a 3 point marksman as well, and I'm not sure where that came from as she has always been a very streaky shooter IMO. It would be nice if she was coming up against bench players to ease into the league, yeah, but the more minutes she can get the better. Ultimately I don't know that she is a WNBA player but it's great that she's getting a real opportunity.
Taurasi at the 3 is not the worst idea. She has played there before (in a title-winning team). She's so skinny now though ... I dunno.

Sami will be fine. Seattle suits her nicely because she's never going to be the focus of the defence while Loyd & Stewart are there. Needs to improve her 1-on-1 defence though.

Reply #637058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball supporters wonder why netball has a higher profile in Australia. Netball supporters support and promote their teams and players no matter what.
We have players playing in arguably the best womens leauge in the world and instead of aplauding and celebrating that acheivement we sit behind our keyboards and critisize. These ladies are playing with and against some of the best players in the world and are holding their own. They deserve to be congratulated and promoted. If we think it is that easy why arent more Aussies playing in the WNBA - perhaps they choose not to go.

Reply #637062 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

The wnba is an incredibly tough league.

Whitcomb has obviously improved although for a player as good as her to get a week of training camp before being cut coming out of college and being close to never getting another look shows how good it is.

It will be very rare for players in the future to be at superstar level (LJ/Taylor level) and the likes of Talbot and Allen will need to fit in within their teams structure and find their roles.

Reply #637064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb improved by spending time in the Aussie league, she was never like this in college nor when she tried out, even she admits to that in one of her interviews she just kept at it. Her biggest issue is shes so erratic, shes all over the place and almost gets white line fever when she gets the ball, can be a good and a bad thing, one thing for sure she will be hard to scout continuously as I dont think even she knows whats shes going to do till she does it.

she could almost be the poster girl for all those over looked gutsy players who dont have surnames connected with ex-players or coaches or are 6ft plus giraffes.
Hope it all continues to go well for her in her native USA.

Reply #637065 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Absolutely pathetic.

The West Australian newspaper is reporting that Sami Whitcomb's citizenship stalled because of asinine over the top regulations and requirement by the Australian government.

Says it all about the state of this country that we can't even get the people we "need" here naturalised.

Reply #637209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shes certainly not an undesirable or security risk, but Australia doesn't really NEED her, lol, I would much rather see a player who has worked their way through the junior ranks and senior ranks here in Australia at the local and state level become a OPAL than an import whose allegiance has come about because at the time they were not good enough for the USA system and found a home (opportunity) in Australia....no disrespect to Sammi shes certainly proved the doubters in the USA wrong , but I guarantee if it came down to her choosing between which of the two countries she wanted to represent at international level USA would win hands down.

This actually has come about because Australia took in an import, gave them opportunities they couldn't get in their own country and they blossomed. That could have been an Aussie player in reality, for every Import brought in an Aussie player misses out thats a fact.

Reply #637213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah for every import brought in a crappy local player falls off the bottom of the roster

Reply #637233 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Absurd reasoning, if she wants to be an Aussie and spent four years here to qualify, she should be allowed to. Applies to all people wanting citizenship, not just her. Pointless qualifiers like the one that disqualify her do nothing but impede and increase the bureaucracy.

Reply #637234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

World Cup is September 2018. Plenty of time for citizenship to pass. She'll be 29 y.o.
Mitchell vs Whitcomb

If not, Tokyo Olympics is 2020. (31 y.o)
I doubt Mitchell will here at 35-36

Reply #637235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

buying a house in Perth I believe with her partner.

Reply #637236 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The one player you look forward to coming to town to play your side. And she makes it look good to. Will be good that players like her recieve some tv time now.

Reply #647696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754