Anonymous
Years ago

Premier League All Star Day

A previous post brought up the concept of imports vs locals. Probably too late to plan, but maybe in coming years or even after this seasons fixture, why not have an all star day, dunk comp in morning, then three point shootout then game. Enough imports around now and should be evenly matched. Get sponsors, $20,000 for winner take all in game plus a few grand for other events. Would think it would make a pretty good spectacle, even have a youth league/future stars game. Thoughts?

Topic #41341 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

$20,000? Lol, someone doesn't understand the financial realities of clubs.

There was an All-Star game about 15 years back. To find the volunteers to run a night like that and cover costs.....not feasible.

Reply #636974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone doesn't understand the meaning of word sponsor, plenty of under the table transactions. What about new sixers owner with deep pockets to promote sport in the state, how much did the late Vince Marino pump in, albeit mainly for his daughter. Don't know till you try. Peregrine would have that behind sofa cushions.
And if state champs was feasible over how many venues and games over how many days, then pretty simple to run it at one venue.

Reply #636977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think they have the organisational ability to promote the league let alone reliably find $20k each year for an icing event.

Reply #636987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe not yet Isaac but the social media & promotions side of things are improving as is the product.

Reply #636992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL in WA has an All-Star Game. But doesn't involve $20K in prize money, lol.

Reply #636998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe not yet Isaac but the social media & promotions side of things are improving as is the product.
I haven't come across anything on either of those fronts. Where is it happening?

Reply #637005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because you're anti Facebook which has been their chosen method. A good starting point.

Reply #637006 | Report this post

This anon is hilarious. "Hey guys go find a sponsor to chip in $20,000 for a event maybe a few hundred people will go to." What would the benefit for an sponsor be for such a deal? The ROI would be horrendous.

Reply #637007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facebook sucks. Shout out to all the anti-Facebookers out there.

Reply #637009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big v are having an 'origin' , metro v country/interstate.
Main issue with concept.....imports aren't eligible !
Add to the fact that not all top local players want to play.
Big time miss of the mark

Reply #637010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not have nor intend to get facebook - so what if I miss out on more social media rubbish.

Reply #637012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's because you're anti Facebook which has been their chosen method. A good starting point.
Good on them. But I follow basketball news here and on Twitter (plus local Messenger) and have heard virtually nothing about the league other than the weekly Messenger article covering Sturt and Forestville. The various ABL-level leagues are always welcome to publicise their rounds/events here or contact me for help - would love to go back to the old days where there was loads of ABL action on here talking up the games.

Reply #637060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, so they promote themselves on exactly one social media platform. As isaac said what about the rest of the media landscape. Nothing.

Reply #637075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too be fair, they are great coverage on FB, strong presence on IG, limited on TW and bit of video floating around.

Would be nice to have a round preview/review on here again, the old "What's Hot/Not" lists were fun!

Getting traditional media is their pain point it seems, but have to give credit for the work they have done on social, 100X better than previous years.

Reply #637077 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Even if they don't maintain profiles on every platform, make sure people in other places are aware. Links from here, Boti, etc. Any official representative of the league should engage a few helpers to make sure people are aware of games, notable performances, etc. There could be threads weekly for the upcoming games, results and best performances, etc.

Premier League and interstate equivalents are great - cheap tickets, seats close to the action and intense, competitive basketball. Anyone involved can email me if there are ways I can help.

Reply #637078 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754