LC
Years ago

Liz Cambage nearing return to WNBA with Wings

Liz Cambage's long awaited return to the WNBA continues to gain momentum.

Reports from the US indicate that Cambage is currently in Dallas, the home of the Dallas Wings, the same organisation that currently hold her WNBA rights after she was selected at number 2 in the 2011 WNBA Draft by the then Tulsa Shock.

Liz Cambage’s return to the WNBA gaining momentum

Topic #41344 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

They're in deep shit in the paint right now and Liz would make a world of difference, but Liz herself just recently said that her USA trip was only a couple of weeks long, followed by a couple of months in Europe, so I'm pretty sure that basketball is the furthest thing from her mind right now.
Fingers crossed for 2018 though.

Reply #636996 | Report this post

MattyG  
Years ago

With Erin phillips now head of player development, she will be doing everything to get liz to Dallas.

Reply #636999 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

She did Luuuc, but things can change quickly. Let's see how this pans out.

Reply #637000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give her a deal whereby she gets to spin a turntable during HT at Wings home games.

Reply #637002 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She did Luuuc, but things can change quickly. Let's see how this pans out.

Oh I'm watching. I'm just keeping my expectations low.

Reply #637003 | Report this post

U  
Years ago

Would be great to see Liz back in the W again, Griner match ups would get fans in the stadium.

Reply #637017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of cash, occasional half paced training sessions and only being required to try for a few moments per 3rd game and she will be there!

Reply #637041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This seems a situation tailor made for Liz to actually show. High level (for WBB at least) attention on her with journos on both continents reporting on her whereabouts and deeming her the Dallas team saviour if only she puts on the colours.

Reply #637046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's is djin on June 11. I'd say Dallas was just a stop over to see her mate Erin.

Reply #637047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure she will ever return to the WNBA but people acting like just because Liz has said something it has merit and will play out that way are overlooking this is Liz. Her words have very little to do with what she does, and she does what she feels like doing at that moment.

Point: she said she was foregoing overseas basketball committments to fully 100% commit herself to Opals. She's missing this whole winter of upcoming Asia play.

Reply #637049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We needed to develop some other bigs anyway.
Tolo played mostly in front of Liz at pf and Bunton hasn't had much of a chance.
Let's see what the team can do without Liz because let's face it she's carried us on way to many occasions. Without her input we wouldn't have even made it out of the group stage in rio. The only other real contributer has been taylor, but she's retired now.

Reply #637052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Opals need Liz around because the offense will run through her when she's there, and other players will need to adapt their games to fit the style suited for Liz. Penny is the prime example. She was taken completely out of her natural game, which was slicing and driving the lanes, with the Liz-central gameplay in Rio. It's no surprise Penny's best game, the whopper against France, happened with Liz mostly out of the game in foul trouble; no Liz opened the lanes up for Penny to be Penny. Maybe they would have blended their games better together if Penny was more invested in Opals tours during lead up, but she wasn't and it's over but still a good example of the girls all needing time together.

Reply #637053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe Liz hasn't lived up to my expectations!

Reply #637057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isnt she currently exploring her DJ career opportunities in Europe, thats why she couldn't make the last and current Opals camps

she is not serious enough nor dedicated enough for her national side let alone any WNBA team, though if she can gain publicity in any way shape or form no doubt she might be there with bells on

Reply #637061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the Liz in America tour front... she posted to Snapchat that she was at the Liberty vs Mercury game, and that the Liberty's disco ball and basketball net set up during intros really spoke to her lol.

I'd be surprised to ever see her play in a Wings uniform. Liberty (or Sparks) yes, for the obvious reasons of Liz's personality and NYC or LA vs Texas. I wouldn't be surprised if a trade is what it takes for her to go back to play basketball in the States.

Reply #637310 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yet she's unavailable for the opals camp ????

Is that because she might actually have to train something other than her fingers and ego on the turn table

Reply #637311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not even a real DJ. go back to basketball

Reply #637321 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think there was a little bitta depression after rio , joyce burton..you had to laugh , or you'd cry..

Reply #637325 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The devastation of Rio has clearly taken its toll on the team. Some players are still struggling with the early exit, so it's no surprise that Liz is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress DJing.

Reply #637328 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

the only players who should have any negative after thoughts on RIO are the ones who knew they should not have been there, Joyce was the cause of the RIO deisaster not the players.

Cambage seems to crave attention, hence why the role of DJ appeals, she has a ready made captive audience all cheering, it fuels the ego, sadly though most of that audience would be off their faces on drugs and alcohol.

Reply #637359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce wasn't the whole reason behind the Rio disaster. He didn't help, but it also didn't help certain players didn't buy in and/or fully commit.

Reply #637363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joyce sucks but you're right, some huge egos on that squad other than Liz.
heart always wins out.

Reply #637364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, I blame Joyce. You don't get off the hook when you leave one of the best players behind for your shitty little pet project that ultimately cost us any medal.

Reply #637367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And he started her lol

Reply #637369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People still having a hard time coming to terms with the Opals 'golden' (ok, silver and bronze) era was over already before Rio.

Reply #637378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I accept that this particular group heading to the next Olympics lacks star power to get us a medal but only a Joyce apologist would suggest that the last group shouldn't have medaled.

Reply #637381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is 100% possible to think Joyce was a horrible coach AND the talent level was no longer elite.

Reply #637383 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Refreshed Liz Cambage benefits from time out of basketball

Liz Cambage is set to return to basketball in Australia's Women's National Basketball League, which tips off in October, but it's the WNBA and future Olympic glory she's really got her sights set on.

Link

Reply #639548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refreshed

Reply #639558 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty good...

(not quite venus williams who at 37 years is beating girls half her age...)

Reply #639564 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Liz would smash girls half her age :p

Reply #639566 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yes , but a girl is 5 years old and the other is 20 , that's 4 times her age..
In 10 years she is 15 and the other girl 30 ,
that's 2 times her age...
How long before she catches up...

Reply #639572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When hasn't Liz been taking time off basketball? She plays less basketball than any other pro basketballer around

Reply #639803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stupid money from China ruined it for everyone and made her take a back seat as she has enough money now to chill. Thanks China.

Reply #639807 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Melbourne must be thrilled to hear that WNBA and Olympics is her real focus

Reply #639851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting Liz almost retired before the age of 25 because she's just been playing basketball so long. Hasn't played a game in year, since the Rio loss. I don't see her making it to Tokyo.

Reply #640496 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While on abctv , yesterday (offsiders) she looked fantastic and could parry adroitly.
With bogut everything is cockeyed topsy-turvey.
If she played for collingwood , aflw it would be like harmanpreet kaur...

Reply #640497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought she looked quite out of fitness, to put a polite spin on it.

Reply #640508 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^agreed, she stated she had been getting fit, she looked like she was fit for sitting on the couch, she's certainly "bulked" up but doesn't look to be in a fitness way

Reply #640511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lizzie is back in Europe again and here I thought she had debilitating homesickness which made it nearly impossible for her to play basketball abroad?

Reply #640750 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I don't even think it's worth thinking about. Until she turns up at camp fit and committed, everything else is just speculation and wind.

I don't want her to play for the Opals until she grows up and commits. Right now she's just a big distraction for them with all this to-ing and fro-ing.

Reply #640763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She doesn't deserve to be in a national side, she's an absolute joke as a so called "elite" athlete, it's an insult to all those who work
Their tails off to get to represent their country
She certainly won't get a good fan base for Boomers with the crap she pulls
No role model for young girls at all

Reply #640772 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good on her, I say.
She already said that she'll be spending this year travelling, right up to the start of the WNBL season. The only thing I'm a little surprised about is that she came back to oz from Europe before heading back again. That jet lag always kills me.

Reply #640777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of hate here...
Let her be. Brondellos decision when the time comes.

Only 2 Spots available at Center
1 year until World Cup and you've got at least 5-6 other player options.
we shall see after the wnbl/overseas season.

Options.
6'8 Cambage-Melbourne
6'5 Tolo-Europe
6'5 Bunton-injured
6'5 Batkovic-Townsville
6'5 Scherf-Canberra
6'4 George-Townsville
6'4 Smith-Stanford
6'4 Magbegor-Canberra

Reply #640781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a slob

Reply #640789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754