SteveK2
Years ago

Bobby Ray Parks jr to the Kings?

http://www.philstar.com/sports/2017/06/11/1708973/parks-interested-join-gilas

'Waiting for the concrete offer' sounds like negotiation in progress. With the one Asian import rule that means if Kings also go for Amritpal Singh, one of these guys will have to take the import slot.

Topic #41402 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can this guy ball? Looks undersized

Reply #637993 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Picture may be misleading. He's a pretty big 6'4" 100kg combo guard. Strong, athletic, good rebounder, can defend SF, quick first step and good finisher.

Reply #637994 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

From Kings communications guy via a fans FB page last week:

The Sydney Kings have made no contract offer to Bobby Ray Parks. The team's management wishes him the best.

As a local player would probably still have been a bit of a risk, but really, if the Kings are persisting without an import at that spot *cough*Sanders*cough* who else rated as a local would be better?

Bobby is still young but not fresh-out-of-college young, his D-League stint didn't end up as much, but who else would be in contention? Tomlinson?

Reply #638023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If kings want a low cost guard they should rehire Indiana Faithful, absolutely carving the Waratah leave under Luke Kendall, plays good D and O.

Reply #638030 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Thanks Wookiee, I was a bit surprised they were considering Parks. I thought they indeed plan to vary their offense more if he was recruited but true to form, it looks like the shuffle isn't going anywhere.

Quite possible they are reserving the Asian spot for Amritpal since he's invited to their China tour in late July.

As for local options at backup, quite a few old timers ex-NBL available but none would be better than Tomlinson. Perhaps Isaih Tueta? He did ok last season.

Reply #638080 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, Tueta would be ok, but taking into account the huge Filo community in Sydney, they'd be better off taking BRP Jnr than Tomlinson... Ticket sales would take a giant leap... If he came in eager and with a point to prove he could be worth the gamble, my only extra concern would be that he didn't make their National team this round either, which is a red flag...

Reply #638083 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

Fwiw, Joey Wright was in the Philippines to supposedly scout a Singaporean player (Delvin Goh?) while watching Alab Filipinas and the Slingers in the ABL. Obviously Parks and Kiefer Ravena are players that he might have been interested in. Surprised other teams wouldn't be interested in these players because most decent Asian are priced out of NBL range.

http://www.spin.ph/basketball/pba/special-reports/joey-wright-former-presto-import-pba-adelaide-36ers-coach-asian-import

Wookie, as a regular visitor to the Philippines (who reads news), my understanding is that the SBP and the PBA had an agreement that only PBA players would be considered for national team duty, makes sense because PBA attendances are falling and this keeps them in the spotlight with exclusivity to talent.

Reply #638093 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Ah cool, thanks Roofman... Yeah, I wondered in the facebook thread if it was political, as surely anyone making a D-league roster would still be good enough, so that would make sense...

If the Kings were to go the Asian player route, I'd rather them go with Parks over the Indian big...

Reply #638123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754