Cram
Years ago

Baynes opts out

Banger has officially opted out of his deal to become a free agent. He was set to make 7m but thinks he can get more. I think its a big risk. Doesnt seem like a market for Cs ar the moment.

Topic #41417 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we opt out of his hair?

Reply #638159 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Doesnt seem like a market for Cs ar the moment."

What are you basing that on?

Miles Plumlee and Mozgov both signed multiyear deals worth over $12mil/season just last year. Overpaid, yes. But teams still forked out the cash.

I'd say Baynes is comparable, and even if he couldn't earn more than $7mil/season, he could lock up a multiyear deal for around that amount. Either way he's likely to gain more financial security.

Reply #638162 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Last years free agency isnt this years. Those deals, and many like them, mean a lot of teams have average bigs already locked up on expensive deals. I have no doubt that had he been a free agent last season Banger could habe gor 12m plus, but how many teams with lots of cap room have a need to throw that kind of money at a backup centre this off season?

Reply #638172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you keep calling him Banger :|

Reply #638174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boo hoo hoo he won't get 12milly maybe only 7 or 8milly. Personally I'm not really fussed about a millionaire getting even more millions.

Reply #638175 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Correct: last years free agency isn't this years. Thanks for clearing that up.

My point is he's unlikely to get less than $7mil THIS offseason if teams have been willing as recently as last year to fork out those kinds of deals to below-average bigs.

The Nets, Bulls, Mavs, Nuggets, Pacers, Lakers, Heat, Magic, 76ers, Suns and Kings all potentially have sufficient cap space for this kiand of deal and (to varying degrees) don't have a huge incentive to make deals aimed at improving right away.

Hence the opportunity exists for guys like Baynes improve on his last contract.

Reply #638177 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Was 'only' on the books for 6.5m next season, so should be able to get something similar per year in a new deal, which would mean going from 6.5 to potentially 20m+ in guaranteed money.

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Reply #638178 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I hope he gets a good deal, I simply said it was a risk, given how many teams already have committed to bigs. I'm not hating, just that it is a risk. It shows he backs himself, which is good

Reply #638186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you hope he gets a good deal? He going to throw some do-re-mi's your way to backpack some more?

Reply #638191 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Because I like seeing Aussies get their dollars.

Reply #638194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

except your own self.

Reply #638215 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

No, I like money too. I just dont like staying in the same job (or country) for more than a day or 2. Maybe if I was paid like an NBA player my job satisfaction would change

Reply #638221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha that's true

Reply #638231 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754